It Was Hell Seeing Old Firm Dragged Through The Gutter

It was hell seeing Old Firm dragged through the gutter

From ANDY DEVLIN

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

MORE THAN 10,000 miles away, Ian Ferguson sat squirming at Scotland's shame.

The Old Firm game he once revelled in as a player was in danger of becoming reviled around the world as it was dragged through the gutter.

And as he sat in Australia watching the disgraceful aftermath of seven powderkeg Glasgow derbies last season, Fergie struggled to build a case for its defence.

He said: "There has always been rivalry, but it did seem to get out of hand last season.

"It was taken to another level because it became ugly and vile.

"When I played, we had huge respect for the Celtic players. They had the same respect for us.

"There was 90 minutes of rivalry on the park and that was it, end of story.

"To this day I have nothing but respect for guys like Peter Grant, Paul McStay and Tommy Boyd.

"We always had that respect."

Well, perhaps not always.

Ferguson admits he has NEVER forgiven Paolo di Canio for accusing him of hurling sectarian abuse at him after a fiery Old Firm encounter at Parkhead in March 1997.

And last night Fergie, whose Perth Glory side face Celtic in a friendly on Saturday, revealed he phoned then Hoops boss Tommy Burns the next day to explain his side of the story.

Fergie said: "Di Canio was different. We'd had a clash on the park and then he came out and told the world what I was supposed to have called him.

"I can put my hand on my heart and I say I never called him that. I actually phoned Tommy Burns the very next day to make that clear. I wanted Tommy to know it wasn't true and we had a great conversation.

"Tommy was someone everyone at Rangers had huge respect for. Di Canio is probably the only Celtic player I didn't have any respect for.

"He lied and it was all so unnecessary."

Ferguson is loving life Down Under. He has been in Australia for nine years and has established himself as one of the top coaches in the A-League.

He would never rule out a return to Scotland, but admits the shocking images of last season mean he is in no hurry to get back.

On Saturday night he will pit his wits against Neil Lennon, the man at the centre of so much of last season's controversy.

Ferguson has nothing but sympathy for the Celtic manager and hopes Scottish football can rebuild its reputation in the new campaign.

He said: "We all get caught up in the heat of the moment and there are things we say and regret.

"But it was sad to see what was taking place last season in Scotland. I definitely don't miss that side of Scotland.

Click to learn more...

"I loved playing for Rangers and I wouldn't have changed anything for the world.

"You have to take s*** when you play for the Old Firm and I was quite willing to take that.

"My problem was when it affected my family - I think all the guys on both sides were the same. "But listen, we never had bomb threats and I can't imagine what that must have been like.

"It's hard enough being involved with Rangers and Celtic - it's a real pressure cooker - without being sent bullets and the like.

"People were even asking me about that here in Australia.

"You don't want to see what happened to Neil happen to anyone. I mean, how far down the drain are we?

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3679443/It-was-hell-seeing-Old-Firm-dragged-through-the-gutter.html#ixzz1RH9vYGnp

Green teeth dragged the Rangers/celtic games into the gutter, along with just about every other game in Scotland involving his team.

The sooner the authorities acknowledge the fact that this guy is nothing but a sewer rat, and deal with him, the better.

Scottish football doesn't need vile, uneducated and horrible people like lennon.

And the big problem here is, he can't change. Once a rhat always a rhat.

I can't wait to see Mr. McCoist tuck him away this season.

Green teeth dragged the Rangers/celtic games into the gutter, along with just about every other game in Scotland involving his team.

The sooner the authorities acknowledge the fact that this guy is nothing but a sewer rat, and deal with him, the better.

Scottish football doesn't need vile, uneducated and horrible people like lennon.

And the big problem here is, he can't change. Once a rhat always a rhat.

I can't wait to see Mr. McCoist tuck him away this season.

Couldn't have said it better myself mate. (tu)

Have a rep on me. :clap:

Its incredible how so many people over-look the fact it was that wannabe-Irish stinking scummy wanker that brought the reputation of Scottish football down himself. Its also incredible nobody mentions the fact his reply to death threats is to cup his ears to 40,000 fans after an Old firm game thus inviting more threats.

Aye poor wee Lenny indeed :rolleyes:.

Only one man turned it ugly and that was Neil Lennon himself. He basically accused teams of not trying, he was involved in touch line scraps and got sent to the stands in a friendly.

This as well as

Be a complete mong have no morals, courage dignity toothpaste respect for woman respect for our game and the spirit it used to be played in and no respect for ict and that's why he has no league trophy HAHAHAHA

TLB dosnt do respect and neither should he get any

Its incredible how so many people over-look the fact it was that wannabe-Irish stinking scummy wanker that brought the reputation of Scottish football down himself. Its also incredible nobody mentions the fact his reply to death threats is to cup his ears to 40,000 fans after an Old firm game thus inviting more threats.

Aye poor wee Lenny indeed :rolleyes:.

As much as I hate Lennon..and I do..If the 2 boys that have been pulled in are guilty I will hate them even more with a passion for what they have done to our club.

In the real world "cupping your ears" does not and should not invite death threats unless you are completely retarded.

Our support should be a million miles away from whatever scumbag cowards decided that putting together some kind of contraption that could have maimed or killed a wee lassie never mind the rhat himself.

You will never hear an ex-player or anyone with any self respect saying publicly he deserved that.

Personally I think he has revelled in it and the whole situation has played into the bheasts hands perfectly..completely took the gloss off us winning the league with thier celebratory, comradary party at the paedo dome when they should have been timploding on the rhat and each other.

Don't misunderstand me, I would not condone it against anyone, but the bheasts will live of this for some time to come.

As much as I hate Lennon..and I do..If the 2 boys that have been pulled in are guilty I will hate them even more with a passion for what they have done to our club.

In the real world "cupping your ears" does not and should not invite death threats unless you are completely retarded.

Our support should be a million miles away from whatever scumbag cowards decided that putting together some kind of contraption that could have maimed or killed a wee lassie never mind the rhat himself.

You will never hear an ex-player or anyone with any self respect saying publicly he deserved that.

Personally I think he has revelled in it and the whole situation has played into the bheasts hands perfectly..completely took the gloss off us winning the league with thier celebratory, comradary party at the paedo dome when they should have been timploding on the rhat and each other.

Don't misunderstand me, I would not condone it against anyone, but the bheasts will live of this for some time to come.

Have a rep for those sensible comments (tu)

The derby's last season have been so over-exaggerated its unreal.

Spot on. It's bad enough when it's coppers looking for extra funding or politicians begging for votes, but Ian Ferguson grew up with it and should know better. The sun must have got to him.

the whole situation has played into the bheasts hands perfectly..completely took the gloss off us winning the league with thier celebratory, comradary party at the paedo dome.........

Aye , so it did. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ruined my close season with their big smiles.

Sums up my feelings well on that matter (tu)

I'm not disputing that, my point was if their are people out there crazy enough to try and kill you its probably not the most sensible thing to do after such a high-profile game.