Dorin Goian Signs

Senna

Dorin Goian has arrived in Glasgow ahead of his medical with Rangers, as he nears a move from Palermo.

The Romanian defender is in signing talks with the SPL holders, after a fee was agreed with the Italian club over the weekend.

"He's in town and we are hopeful that the final bits and pieces can be settled and he can officially become a Rangers player," Rangers boss Ally McCoist confirmed on Monday.

"A fee has been agreed and the personal terms are just about agreed as well. It's just one or two other things but we are hopeful it will be done in the next few hours and we can finalise the deal."

A spokesperson from the Scottish FA confirmed to STV on Monday that Goian would require a work permit under normal circumstances, while also saying no request had been received from Rangers.

Goian has played in just 40 per cent of Romania’s competitive matches in the last two years, with injury heavily restricting his involvement.

To receive an SFA endorsement for a work permit application, regulations state a player must have played in 75 per cent of matches for a FIFA top 70 ranked nation in the past two years.

The 30-year-old would likely have to go to appeal to be granted a work permit, a process which would normally take three to five working days.

Rangers have until 11pm on Monday night to register one additional player for the Champions League third qualifying round ties with Malmo FF.

Goian has been in Italy since 2009, having switched to Serie A from Steaua Bucharest for 2 million euro. He struggled to break into the side in his debut season, before injury further curtailed his involvement last campaign.

At international level, the 6ft 5in tall defender has 37 caps for Romania, scoring against Belarus, Germany, Holland, France and Georgia.

@STVGrant

Grant Russell

Dorin Goian could get a work permit today to complete his move to Rangers

@STVGrant

Grant Russell

As he was unavailable through injury for some of Romania's matches, Goian could be deemed to meet work permit criteria:

Looks like he has good composure in the box. :sherlock:

hahah thanks

i was searching for more defensive vids lol

all i can find is him scoring and stupid computer game goals - fucking geeks! whats the point showing a goal scored by a computer generated player????????????????????????????????????????

cheers anyways, hadn't seen his second goal :)

hahah thanks

i was searching for more defensive vids lol

all i can find is him scoring and stupid computer game goals - fucking geeks! whats the point showing a goal scored by a computer generated player????????????????????????????????????????

cheers anyways, hadn't seen his second goal :)

Haha, can't find any videos of him defending!

He actually doesn't look as slow as I thought he was.

If his injuries don't take their toll then I reckon he'll be a terrific signing.

My one fear in all this is that I hope we don't work our CB partnership around Weir. I don't want to see Goian sitting on the bench and I certainly don't to see Bougherra moved on because of this. Let's see if McCoist has the balls to leave Davie out the side.

From the bbc

1313: FOOTBALL - Rangers boss Ally McCoist has confirmed they have agreed a fee with Palermo for Dorin Goian. The Romanian is having a medical in Glasgow and could complete his move to the Scottish Champions in the next few hours.

Looks pretty much done then