Our Midfield !

KingKirk

Let's just say we GET our targets

GK: Allan McGregor, Neil Alexander, Grant Adam.

D: Madjid Bougherra, Dorin Goian, Carlos Cuellar/Roland Juhasz, David Weir, Kirk Broadfoot, Steven Whittaker, Lee Wallace, Rhys McCabe, Darren Cole, Sasa Papac.

M: Central midfielder, Steven Davis, Steven Naismith, Lee McCulloch, Maurice Edu, Jamie Ness, Kyle Hutton, John Fleck, Salim Kerkar, Juan Manuel Ortiz, Thomas Kind Bendiksen.

ST: Nikica Jelavic, Kyle Lafferty, David Goodwillie, James Beattie, David Healy, Kane Hemmings.

Add Bedoya plus Verhoek (as you mention earlier) and Davidson and possibly even another to that list and it looks pretty good to me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wylde is not good enough to get us through a season and almost every fan to man wants Edu replaced.

Midfield is a huge problem, it was pivotal to our defensive problems last year and the goals we lost, we surrendered possession to easily, did not protect our defence and never kept the ball for long enough.

The goals scored by Jelavic and Miller took so much heat of the rest of the team.

The last 4 games of the season we dominated the midfield for the first time in a long while (yes I know that's 4/38 in the league), and that was due to our 2nd midfielder turning up. It's no coincidence that when Edu turned up, Davis dominated like we know he can. I don't mean to make that sound like Edu is amazing, but when Davis doesn't have to worry about playing for two people, he controls the game for us against any team in this league.

Yes we need back-up in there. Although I actually like Edu, I don't even have faith in him to perform for a full season. McCulloch isn't a CM, I'm not yet convinced by Hutton and more often than not Ness is injured. We need a midfield enforcer in there, everyone can see it.

In terms of Wylde, you're right. I've criticised his final ball since he started playing regularly, it's poor, he isn't good enough to hold that position down for a full season. But, who else do we have tat can play there ? Ortiz showed he isn't a left winger and do you risk switching Naismith flanks just as he's found a position he seems to like ?

If we get new faces in that midfield then by all means change it, a midfield of Naismith on the right, Davis in the middle and 2 new players to slot in there is what we're crying out for (aswell as a new CB). But, until we get new faces in there, I still say that Wylde - Edu - Davis - Naismith is the best we have.

Rant over :D

Just because we won the league with that midfield doesn't mean we shouldn't improve it

We also won the league with this defence so I take it we shouldn't bother trying to get Cuellar or any of the other CBs we have been linked with then?

We should be constantly looking to improve, not standing still with what we have

Its a general malaisse on here - there are huge swathes of our support who all have stated the following are not good enough for Rangers

Whittaker

Broadfoot

Weir

Papac

Edu

McCulloch

Hutton

Ness

Wylde

Lafferty

Fleck

Boughera (according to some) should be punted for attitude!

McGregor sold for the money as we have just as good a keeper in Alexander

Naismith is always injured

But apart from these 14 players we are OK.

and at least we have Davis (whom many dont rate in the CM role but he is OK on the right)

Yes, we will never win anything if we persist with these duds

At this moment in time is not good enough to Win 4IAR, Bar Davis and Naismith we lack work rate, pace and power in this area of the park, We need someone next to Davis of quality. I fear Ally won't bring anyone in because the numbers we have in CM.

The Facts are Simple Jig, Edu, Hutton are NOT good enough and just wont do! Ness can he stay injury free? time will tell.

Same goes for LW we need a winger of quality, I think we would all agree Ortiz is not a winger, and IMO wylde has a long way to go, he is not good enough at the moment.

Does anyone else share my fears that the middle of the park might be over looked by Ally?.

I agree with a few points, don't think Wylde's ready yet either. As much as it pains me to say we need a Ki or a Kayal. Brown's just a mobile McCulloch but were missing the creativity of a Ki or battling/passing quality's of Kayal.

And someone who can whack them in from distance! Davis can but he never bothers enough.

Let's not pretend that every one of our players is better than their Celtic counterpart

Ki is better than McCulloch and Commons is better than Wylde

You pretend the losers are better than the winners all you want. I'll continue to back champions.

Let's not pretend that every one of our players is better than their Celtic counterpart

Ki is better than McCulloch and Commons is better than Wylde

Ki wasnt that good last season and he had one great game and he is now better than our midfielders.

There main 2 central midfielders are Kayal and Brown and obviously Commons is better than Wylde ffs, Commons is probably there best player and Wylde is just a boy.

Saying that, Wylde is a champion while Commons is a runner up.

I just personally believe that Celtic have a better midfield than us, as shown by the amount of times we lost the midfield battle against them last year

Lennon also prefers creativity to brawn, something i wish we would try

Pish.

How can you claim having a midfield of Brown, Ledley and Kayal is creativity over brawn ?

Wylde/Ortiz, Davis, Naismith and Edu...hardly brawn over creativity ! we need a battler in midfield because its something they have which we dont.

And they won the midfield battle probably 4 times over the 7 games we played them and that was because Walter bottled it a good few occasions and we showed during the CIS final we were better.

They are runners up ffs ! how can the runners up be better than the Champions !?

I agree with a few points, don't think Wylde's ready yet either. As much as it pains me to say we need a Ki or a Kayal. Brown's just a mobile McCulloch but were missing the creativity of a Ki or battling/passing quality's of Kayal.

And someone who can whack them in from distance! Davis can but he never bothers enough.

Agreed Davis is the best CM in the SPL but he cant take on KI and kayal on his own, that is just being honest. If we can get help for Davis then am sure we will be ok.

The last 4 games of the season we dominated the midfield for the first time in a long while (yes I know that's 4/38 in the league), and that was due to our 2nd midfielder turning up. It's no coincidence that when Edu turned up, Davis dominated like we know he can. I don't mean to make that sound like Edu is amazing, but when Davis doesn't have to worry about playing for two people, he controls the game for us against any team in this league.

Yes we need back-up in there. Although I actually like Edu, I don't even have faith in him to perform for a full season. McCulloch isn't a CM, I'm not yet convinced by Hutton and more often than not Ness is injured. We need a midfield enforcer in there, everyone can see it.

In terms of Wylde, you're right. I've criticised his final ball since he started playing regularly, it's poor, he isn't good enough to hold that position down for a full season. But, who else do we have tat can play there ? Ortiz showed he isn't a left winger and do you risk switching Naismith flanks just as he's found a position he seems to like ?

If we get new faces in that midfield then by all means change it, a midfield of Naismith on the right, Davis in the middle and 2 new players to slot in there is what we're crying out for (aswell as a new CB). But, until we get new faces in there, I still say that Wylde - Edu - Davis - Naismith is the best we have.

Rant over :D

Last 4 games of the season, teams had basically nothing but pride to play for, some had went on holiday early. Noticed that with Davis on Saturday, he was trying to do the work of more than himself. He needs help.

I dont think we need back up at all, i think we need to improve the first team. Enforcer i agree, Ally sees Lee as that man.

The club and fans have known for several years we need a left midfielder, its a position we have consistantly failed to fill.

Naismith has been pushed up front just as he made right midfield his own. I thought that was strange, although our lack of options probably makes that understandable.

I would like to see Ortiz on the right, i thought he had more about him as a footballer than Wylde. Ortiz right, Naismith left, Davis and A Nother in the middle, most likely Edu for now.

(tu)

I just personally believe that Celtic have a better midfield than us, as shown by the amount of times we lost the midfield battle against them last year

Lennon also prefers creativity to brawn, something i wish we would try

You are spot on sadly. Ki, Kayal, Brown, Ledley and Commons are much stronger than any 5 we could pick despite who eventually won the title. There was a game last year they had 3 in the middle against our 5 at times and they out-played us. As you rightfully say, they heavily dominated old firm games last season.

No idea were this nonsense has arisen that Celtic's midfield is so 'creative'

Brown, Ledley, Kayal and Ki are hardly creative players, Ki is decent at passing the ball about but is nothing special. Irwin is overrating him over one decent game at the weekend. What was it 3 assists last season for him?

We scored more goals last season, not bad for a club that prefers 'brawn' footballers and lost key players throughout the season.

Commons is their most creative player, but I'd take Naismith over him every day of the week.

Exactly ! he never replied to me when I said the same thing.

In terms of creativity I would take our midfield but in terms of "brawn"you would take theirs.

You not sick of hearing this garbage that Celtic play great attacking football? Because I certainly am.

A couple good performances against us and Aberdeen and they are suddenly Barcelona. :rolleyes: We were horrible in the 3-0 game and Aberdeen are just Aberdeen against the scum.

IMO when we actually played attacking football last season it was better than Celtic's, especially in the run in when Walter let us attack, attack, attack. Shit brawn players running riot in the run in, eh? :rolleyes:

Our fans underrate some of our performances from last season in games against Motherwell, Celtic, Valencia, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United etc.

Dominated them both times Walter decide to play attack minded, they could not handle us. Every time Walter set out to attack Celtic over the last three seasons we have dominated, Celtic dominate us when we decide to play negative.

Sick of hearing taigs and some of our fans go on about their midfield, really annoys me hearing comments such as... " Aww but we play better football, that's a victory even if Rangers are champions " " We are still the better team and deserved the title " " I'd rather watch us play the Celtic way than play negative and win trophies "

Fucksake!!!!

Agreed mate.

I think we ideally want someone of davis' quality in CM with him but with a little more physical presence. just not sure who would be affordable and would be suitable. there must be someone.

Edu and Jig need to go. They are absolutely useless. Not Centre Midfielders whatsoever, I don't even know what Edu's role is? What has he ever offered or stood out for?

I have no idea how we managed to sign Davis up on a new contract after telling him he would be playing alongside those 2 shite footballers.

I cannot for the life of me understand why jig gets a game or what he actually offers to the team.same goes for edu,but for some reason I still think there is a half decent player in there somewhere!

On another note,how on earth did Whittaker convince ally to make him one of tge highest paid players at the club? Versatility doesn't make u a great player.he's good sometimes,when he's confident,but most of the time he's a bombscare!