Yesterday...

spireblue

Yesterday I took my 9 year old grandson to the friendly with Chelsea to see some of the best players in the world.

Now, the wee man was introduced to Rangers and Ibrox gradually over the last two seasons,he has been around a dozen times with me,including an Old Firm final at Hampden and away games at Motherwell, also helicopter 3 day at Killie.He is becoming a diehard bluenose and gets all the strips from either me or his dad for birthdays ,xmas,etc.

This season I will gradually increase the number of games he goes to,he loves it,he goes to school in Chesterfield 280 miles from Ibrox,and at p.e. and footie in school wears his kits with pride.He told me yesterday four of his friends have asked for and got Rangers strips for their birthdays.At half time yesterday I asked him what he thought of seeing all those superstar players in the flesh,his answer...I can see them on the tele anytime,I am here to see The Rangers.Brought a lump to my throat and reminded me of the days when my dad and uncle Billy used to take me to Ibrox when I was a four/five year old.That was 1960 and fifty seasons later I now know that the family tradition is going to be in good hands with wee Callum.So proud.

That is not the end of this story,on the Harrogate True Blues bus on the journey back home.I was having a chat to the boy about the days events and asked him what stood out for him about the day,and he replied 'watching those boys at half time,and the skill they showed','Grandad he said,I WANT TO DO THAT.'(The wee man is showing good promise as a footballer and trains on a Saturday morning with Chesterfield F.C.)

So I ask him if he wants to be a footballer and his reply was 'I dont want to just be a footballer,I want to be a RANGERS footballer'.Good answer I replied,now get some sleep son its a long journey back,didnt want the wee man to see the tears welling up in me.

So for all those criticising such a big attendance yesterday,maybe,just maybe there were a few hundred more sons and grandsons there to see the Chelsea superstars but coming away with entirely different dreams in their heads.

Yesterday I took my 9 year old grandson to the friendly with Chelsea to see some of the best players in the world.

Now, the wee man was introduced to Rangers and Ibrox gradually over the last two seasons,he has been around a dozen times with me,including an Old Firm final at Hampden and away games at Motherwell, also helicopter 3 day at Killie.He is becoming a diehard bluenose and gets all the strips from either me or his dad for birthdays ,xmas,etc.

This season I will gradually increase the number of games he goes to,he loves it,he goes to school in Chesterfield 280 miles from Ibrox,and at p.e. and footie in school wears his kits with pride.He told me yesterday four of his friends have asked for and got Rangers strips for their birthdays.At half time yesterday I asked him what he thought of seeing all those superstar players in the flesh,his answer...I can see them on the tele anytime,I am here to see The Rangers.Brought a lump to my throat and reminded me of the days when my dad and uncle Billy used to take me to Ibrox when I was a four/five year old.That was 1960 and fifty seasons later I now know that the family tradition is going to be in good hands with wee Callum.So proud.

That is not the end of this story,on the Harrogate True Blues bus on the journey back home.I was having a chat to the boy about the days events and asked him what stood out for him about the day,and he replied 'watching those boys at half time,and the skill they showed','Grandad he said,I WANT TO DO THAT.'(The wee man is showing good promise as a footballer and trains on a Saturday morning with Chesterfield F.C.)

So I ask him if he wants to be a footballer and his reply was 'I dont want to just be a footballer,I want to be a RANGERS footballer'.Good answer I replied,now get some sleep son its a long journey back,didnt want the wee man to see the tears welling up in me.

So for all those criticising such a big attendance yesterday,maybe,just maybe there were a few hundred more sons and grandsons there to see the Chelsea superstars but coming away with entirely different dreams in their heads.

That is what it's all about. Were only here to see The Rangers.

If only everyone in Ibrox yesterday has this opinion.

Brilliant - Heart warming story .

You have just covered the excile rangers fans who dont live in scotland but have left like myself through

other reasons and we are to me more passionate because we have to big up our club in another zone .

My son I brought up hoping hed support us - but no affilation to glasgow hard for a kid in england

He,s been to many rangers games putting up with me then we made the uefa cup final

dragging him to albert square at 10am in the morning that day we left at 11-00pm

and slept on the floor in the station til the next morning .

Good on you pal - except chesterfield beat us 3-2 in the anglo scottish cup

for me the worst day ever with me as a target with evident glasgow rangers bag I had in a shipyard in england

where no c***suppoted us apart from me ! :p20::mutley:

Lovely story but what is more important are the wonderful memories the wee lad will have of his Grandad. You can't put a price on that.

Would love the wee man's dream of playing for the Gers to come true. If it does I would dearly love his proud Grandad to be there when he made his debut!

Good luck always!

I really hope my daughter enjoys watching the rangers when she's a bit older, I don't intend on having another kid so my hopes are pinned on her. Shes only 6months old now so I've got a few yrs yet.

I loved that comment the wee yin made

"I am here to see the rangers" absolutely superb, I'd dare say that would bring a wee tear to ur eye (tu)