Some Wont Like This

minstral

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we have done really well. 

1 win in 25 games including Maribor twice, unirea twice, malmo twice, bursaspor twice and Kaunas twice. 

2008/09 beaten by Kaunas and embarrassed out of Europe.

2009/10 Humped 4-1 at home 2 home games in a row by Seville and unirea urziceni and managed 2 points out of a possible 18. 

2010/11 drew with united at old Trafford by parking the bus, beat bursaspor (our first and last win in Europe after Sporting away) drew with valencia, then beaten off man u, Valencia and drew with bursaspor. We scored 2 goals in 6 games finishing with 6 points from 18 and dropping into the Europa league. We drew twice with sporting Lisbon and then played shocking against PSV with negative tactics and ended up out on our arse! 

2011/12 easy draw against malmo we thought. Beaten 1-0 at home with a joke performance. Drew 1-1 away and out of the 15million pound CL. easy draw against Maribor we thought. Beaten 2-1 away and drew 1-1 at home with another 2 shocking performances. 

Yeah we have done really well. If it wasn't for us automatically qualifying twice we would be in an even bigger mess financially than we are at present. 

We are shocking, we really are. 

go back a few more years to supposedly far superior players and we didnt do much better -

92-93 - 2nd spot in group - 1-1 and 2-2 draw with Marseile , 1-1 draw and 2-1 win against Brugge , 1-0 win against CSKA and 0-0 draw

93-94 - beaten by Levski Sofia

94-95 - beaten by AEK Athens home and away

95-96 - scraped thru 1-0 against Famagusta - beaten 4-1 and 4-0 by Juventus , Lost to Steau B away , and 2 draws with dortmund and 1 with Steau

96-97 - qualified and got beaten by Grasshoppers 3-0 , auxere 2-1 twice , 4-1 and 1-0 loses to AJAX. Only points a 2-1 home win against Grasshoppers

97-98 - out at the hands of IFK Gothenburg after a 3-0 away loss and 1-1 home draw

.. I have found nothing pre 92-93 to suggest that we have been anything other than a dissapointment in Europe for the last 30 years. Might have played better footbal but at the end of the day it is the results that count and if you look at the results of the Rangers teams of the past 30 years then our current squad have done no worse than previous.

I really don't understand why any Rangers fan would want to take anything away from our remarkable run to the UEFA Cup Final. Where have these people been for the last 40 years? We don't get to European finals that often.

TBH it only highlights the fact that some of our fans would rather moan than be happy.

The sooner people wake up to the fact that we are gonna be nothing other than underdogs in europe untill scottish football gets a massive cash boost, the quicker we can be happy with our results

FFS we are 3 time champions of our country, a handfull of domestic cups, a uefa cup final, a respectable CL run and a last 16 of the UEFA cup. and that's all in the last 4 years. The way some people go on you would think we were celtic and pumped oot of uerope in the qualifiers ever year and second best for the last 3 years.

oh aye and we done all this with a fraction of what we used to spend.

Our standard of football has been shocking but its not as if we've not achieved success while playing it.

We made it to the EUFA cup final, anybody that's want to try and take that away from us in anyway can eat my shite. And I personally couldn't care less how anybody outside Scotland see us as a footballing side.

NO Rangers fans are happy to be out of Europe.

Our standard of football has been shocking but its not as if we've not achieved success while playing it.

We made it to the EUFA cup final, anybody that's want to try and take that away from us in anyway can eat my shite. And I personally couldn't care less how anybody outside Scotland see us as a footballing side.

NO Rangers fans are happy to be out of Europe.

Some fans have said that we would better out of Europe to let us have a run at the title without midweek games.

I actually feel we're playing a little bit better Football recently, but overall I very much agree.

What happened to the "swashbuckling" style of play of the last five games of last season? Those games were a joy to watch and it was muted that this may have been down to Ally, where is it now?

Never thought I would say this, but Minstral is right lol. You can get by in our league with what we have, but to take on the continent these days you need something extra. Call it quality, flair, whatever, but we clearly do not have it. Maybe the 2 new midfielders coming in will help but personally, in my humble opinion, we need a change of philosophy from the coaching staff first

Edu wasn't even midfielder when we bought him. He was a RB and he plays CB for USA. That doesn't sound very attacking to me. He has a first touch like a metal fence it just bounces off him.

What a load of shite. So not true.

I think people have already forgotten our finances over the last couple of years

We overachieved majorly, performances included.

So... what you're saying is, we are at our level getting put out of two European competitions before the Europeans super cup is played? :unsure:

So... what you're saying is, we are at our level getting put out of two European competitions before the Europeans super cup is played? :unsure:

I think he is talking about that one lucky run we had to Manchester, that was the only year we punched above our weight, the rest were the usual let downs.

We've done reasonably well in Europe the last 4 years - punching above our weight on a few occasions. Four months ago we were in the last 16 of the Europe League and should have progressed.

correct just watched the super cup barcelona and porto who have both played at ibrox in the not too distant past in champions league and both left ibrox without a win and honestly would you say they rangers teams were much better than what we have now.......

I think he is talking about that one lucky run we had to Manchester, that was the only year we punched above our weight, the rest were the usual let downs.

Don't think anybody expects us to do what we did in 07/08 every single season. But what we do expect is to be in the Group stages and maybe the odd run past Christmas. If not, then we may as well leave the SPL and enter the bottom tier of English football. :sherlock:

I was talking about Walters reign

Difference with Walters reign was... It was just one European competition, it was a disaster but it put across we needed strengthened and he got some players in, the rest is history.

Ally has already done it twice, I'd rate this worse than under Walter that year. Yes, he's been unlucky with timing and WP issues etc. But he should have had all this planned before he took over. He knew what he was taking over well in advance. No excuses to be put out twice before the group stages, none at all.

I just hope he learns from it.

One of the major disadvantages is this qualifying thingy nonsense whereas English, Italian teams etc which are richer than ours for revenue, get more teams allowed even if not champions...
If we had a co-efficient like theirs we'd get a ton of teams in too. Really the only fix would be going back to the old format where only champions made it in but the tournament has grown so much and draws so much viewership that it is too late to turn back now.
Edu wasn't even midfielder when we bought him. He was a RB and he plays CB for USA. That doesn't sound very attacking to me. He has a first touch like a metal fence it just bounces off him.
Not true, he was a midfielder for Toronto FC. He has filled in at RB with the Nats when necessary but has played defensive midfielder 98.5% of his pro-career.
If I was in charge of TV contracts at the SPL, I'd charge SKY a premium rate to televise our football, which includes the biggest derby game in the world. If they don't want to pay it, they can fuck off. Somebody would willingly pay just to screen the derby games alone in my opinion.
And who would that be?

Revised Setanta terms is only deal in town for SPL

If Setanta were to pull out completely Scotland's top division would be available for scraps

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/08/spl-setanta-deal-financial-troubles

At one point the other plan was the league doing the broadcasts because no one else wanted us for more than we could do it for ourselves.

The clubs can sell the rights to their other games. We owe nothing to the Killies and Aberdeens of this world in terms of TV finance. If nobody wants to screen their games, tough.

It's time Rangers FC started looking after Rangers FC, and then share the scraps oot tae whoever wants them. If they don't want them, again, tough.

That may be how you want Rangers FC to act, but a league, more specifically the Scottish Premier League, cannot function that way.
Show some foresight mate, and use a bit of vision.

No league = British League.

You honestly think the clubs in England give a shit about us? If they wanted us it would have been years ago when we could survive at that level (late 90's), not now that we're losing to clubs like Maribor, etc. with regularity. Your suggested plan only cripples the SPL which makes things worse for us long term, not better.

Yeah we have done really well.

1 win in 25 games including Maribor twice, unirea twice, malmo twice, bursaspor twice and Kaunas twice.

2008/09 beaten by Kaunas and embarrassed out of Europe.

2009/10 Humped 4-1 at home 2 home games in a row by Seville and unirea urziceni and managed 2 points out of a possible 18.

2010/11 drew with united at old Trafford by parking the bus, beat bursaspor (our first and last win in Europe after Sporting away) drew with valencia, then beaten off man u, Valencia and drew with bursaspor. We scored 2 goals in 6 games finishing with 6 points from 18 and dropping into the Europa league. We drew twice with sporting Lisbon and then played shocking against PSV with negative tactics and ended up out on our arse!

2011/12 easy draw against malmo we thought. Beaten 1-0 at home with a joke performance. Drew 1-1 away and out of the 15million pound CL. easy draw against Maribor we thought. Beaten 2-1 away and drew 1-1 at home with another 2 shocking performances.

Yeah we have done really well. If it wasn't for us automatically qualifying twice we would be in an even bigger mess financially than we are at present.

We are shocking, we really are.

Only a fenian would try and talk down our achievments. How many teams got anything from Old Trafford last year?