Mccoist Lauds Davis' `captain's Performance`

Rangers manager Ally McCoist paid tribute to Steven Davis for the way he has coped with his new role as captain and insists his leadership was crucial to claiming victory over Aberdeen.

The Northern Ireland international has been wearing the armband in the absence of David Weir, who has been sidelined through injury since last month's Champions League qualifier against Malmo.

And McCoist believes Davis deserves credit for helping his team-mates come through a tough afternoon against the Dons at Ibrox on Sunday as Rangers ground out a 2-0 win to remain top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

He said: "I thought it was a captain's performance, I really did. I had a wee word with Steven at half-time because I think, the way the game was going, there were a few players looking for a little bit of help and guidance.

"Steven is one of those boys that everybody looks to and I don't think he let anybody down because he attempted to basically run the game and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. The best way to describe it was that I thought it was a Rangers captain's performance to be honest."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29082011/63/mccoist-lauds-davis-captain-performance.html

I thought he was reported missing for large spells in the game.

Certainly wasn't posted missing. Dropped deep to pick up the ball from the guys at the back and did what he could to get forward and help jelavic.

Even if most thought he was shite, when your manager says something like this about you it will undoubtedly give you confidence.

It's obvious that the players look to him on the park.

I'd be willing to bet that he got more touches of the ball than anyone else in our team

If Ally is to be given time as manager, why can't Davis be given time to settle into captaincy?

Things will become clearer after the first old firm game.

Davis has been carrying that midfield. He pops up all over the park because some of our other players' positional awareness is horrendous. There is a big list of Rangers players to criticize but Davis certainly isn't one of them. Without him we would be in big trouble.