Economics 101

Shuggy07

Our owner, Mr Whyte, removed all the uncertainty of ownership and Llyods the minute he purchased the club. (forget about the price he paid, Murray the shifty bassa, will write down losses on his other businesses for the meagre selling price of 1pound and get his money back)

Here's my point, secured the back bone and Ally's must haves of the squad (sincere investment)....then comes Malmo, were in for a few decent, not cheap targets, speculated with the possibility they would be sensible purchases should we get into the next round of CL qualifiers,. Unfortunately we got rolled by Malmo when we should not have. Squad was good enough to get to next round with all due respects to Malmo.

All of a sudden, bigger targets are off the table due to lack of potential CL revenue, so then on to Europa League qualifiers.

Rolled by Maritimo, when again we should have had the players to deal with a 2 game scenario and get through.We did not.

There goes the major investment in the squad (big expensive new signings) that everyone, and myself hoped for.

Out of Europe, shyte Scottish football revenue base = no more speculative investment.

Economics 101, dont spend money without the possibility of recouping your outlay.

As soon as Mr Whyte, who I believe to be a smart operator, realised that the only real income for Rangers this financial year was SPL money and all that goes along with it, was the reason we did not get the Big time Charlie signings we all hoped for.

Reality, we are top of the league, the other mob are shyte and we have enough to go on and win the 4 in a row.

No Surrender

That's exactly the way I see it as well. It was the team that thwarted the managements ambition but I think we have the squad to do enough to give us a crack at getting into the CL next year again. Then we can try to sign a big name or two. Until then we, fans and club alike, should put on a untied front towards the media . Are you listening Andy Goram? We know what we want from this season now. Lets go out and get it.

Mr whytes only real mistake was talking about spending before it was definate.

(tu) this is the crux of it for me. Both he and Ally have learnt valuable lessons in these first 4-5 months. In terms of both transfer dealings and 'kitty' money they have both been naive. I think Ally failed to learn from Walter in this respect

there should have been capital earmarked for decent investment in the team irrespective of european involvement imo- any proespective buyer of a big club should have that set- aside. however, as ive said before, i dont think he has much and we had no choice as no one else wanted to buy us. you're correct, he's a business man and businessmen don't throw money away. he was never prepared to really "invest" in the team, just use guaranteed incomes to fund his so called investment.

As I said in another thread the only criticism I would level at Whyte (on the football side of things, the tax bill is another matter) is that you have to speculate to accumulate.

If we had bought Goodwillie in June we would have beaten Malmo and at least be in the EL group stage (probably the CL group stage).

Hopefully Whyte will learn from his mistakes in this transfer window.

Agree with the OP but would add something else.

This year's champions go into CL group without having to qualify (as I understand it). Therefore the need to secure the title is increased by going out of the CL and EL and losing the income associated with European competition. Whyte should be looking to speculate to accumulate. If there is any cash then it should have been spent to absolutely make sure we win the league. For all our troubles septic are as skint as they have ever been so a few decent signings would do it for us.

Maybe Whyte is waiting to see how we are doing in January before making a decision. Whether he has the money or not, no one on here really knows.

One thing I would like to see is some indication that we are going into a transfer window with some idea of who we want. This summer, Goodwillie apart it looked like Ally was picking players off Football Manager.

A last point on Goodwillie - self proclaimed Rangers fan, who stated he never had any intention of staying in Scotland once he had signed for soon to be in the championship Blackburn. If you had already decided to move south and you are such a big fan why didn't you give Ally a wee call to tell him instead of sitting watching him and the club make twats of themselves?

Agree with the OP but would add something else.

This year's champions go into CL group without having to qualify (as I understand it). Therefore the need to secure the title is increased by going out of the CL and EL and losing the income associated with European competition.

Don't think they do, hope I am wrong.