Is Ortiz The Outcast?

Amac9

I'm willing to give him time. He is simply not a winger though and won't bomb forward beating players. He is more of a right midfielder who is able to get around the park and make tackles. Too many were expecting him to be like a spanish gregg Wylde.

So it begs the question then ...why did we buy him and what specific role was he bought for?

Is he a midfielder...is he a winger...is he a defender.

The fact there is so much confusion already surrounding his role tells me he will struggle to cement a place in the 1st team as he has no defined role.

Some players take longer than others to settle so he should not be condemned for his contribution so far.

I don't think he'll ever be a world beater but seems more like he was signed as a versatile squad player who can fill in several positions.

I've been disappointed with his touch and lack of pace so far, but the Scottish game is a far cry from la liga so he'll need time to adjust.

He has had a pretty poor start to his Rangers career and has failed to do much when given a game.

Every single member of the squad can speak English, apart from Ortiz and that surely has to play a massive part both on and off the field. Imagine starting a new job in a foreign country and you can't speak the language with your other colleagues, of course you are going to struggle at your new job and find it hard to settle in.

He definitely needs time to adjust to a new country, a new league and learn the language and while everyone wants him to come in and be a superstar from day one that is not going to happen. Give him a full season to see how he does and if he fails to do anything then move him on but he deserves the chance to settle in and adapt to his new surroundings.

Time will tell if he is indeed good enough but he needs time and patience from the fans.

have to agree with this

I think the pace of our game has been a shock to the system for Ortiz, the only way he will be able to adapt, is through gametime. Still think he has something to offer. I refuse to believe that you can play in Spain's top level for so long without having ability.

Again I can't quote but its no unlike us to ask players to play roles that they're not familiar with. When we play Davo at right midfield, is he playing as a right winger?

No. When we play Davis on the right he is given the instructions to drift inside and into the space left there because it's usually been 2 from Edu, McCulloch and Thomson who have been in the middle. Ortiz wouldn't be able to do the same as in our current system Davis utilises the space in the middle and Edu also plays further up the pitch.

I think we'd see some benefit from Ortiz if he was used more to cover Whittakers forward runs, ie the role he played for Almeria, or when we need to give Davis a rest play him through the middle. He looks as if he's got a good eye for a pass and could be another option in there as the season progresses or if we play a 5 man midfield at any point.

It doesn't help, the billing he received / quotes about him, when he was brought in. He was described as an exiting forward going player who could beat people and get to the line. That is simply not the type of player he is, nor describes any of the things he does best.

It would also help him is he was played in his more natural position, or at least while in the RM area, not having him be expected to be a winger.

I presume he was brought in due to his ability to play in a number of positions, however, left winger is not one of them, nor is the 'right winger' role he has been played in / expected to perform in by the management.

It doesn't help, the billing he received / quotes about him, when he was brought in. He was described as an exiting forward going player who could beat people and get to the line. That is simply not the type of player he is, nor describes any of the things he does best.

It would also help him is he was played in his more natural position, or at least while in the RM area, not having him be expected to be a winger.

I presume he was brought in due to his ability to play in a number of positions, however, left winger is not one of them, nor is the 'right winger' role he has been played in / expected to perform in by the management.

I agree with all of this, but the bolded part especially.

I have no idea why Kenny McDowall came out and said that? Just nonsense.

Nice to see some more rationalised opinions on Juanma in here than in the matchday threads where he's literally to blame for everything.

My two cents - he's alright, that's the long and short of it. It's all been said on here. He's not a winger, he's a right-sided midfield player. He's not gonna go and beat loads of guys and do loads of stepovers. Essentially, he's the anti-Weiss, which, understandably, puts a lot of people off. Weiss was exciting and unpredictable which was wonderful at times (hugely frustrating at others), Ortiz is not this. As much as I feel a lot of Rangers fans were a bit OTT over Weiss, I would suggest that Ortiz is a step down from him. That is not to deride the man, I feel he can offer us a lot. I don't think it's a case of him 'settling' as some have suggested. I would say this is it. He's not flashy, just workmanlike. He layed on a very good assist for Lafferty at Motherwell and scored what should have been an important goal in the Euro qualifiers. I think his crossing is better than he gets credit for. He put a 2 or 3 balls right onto the nappers of the Rangers front players against Killie, who then proceeded to miss the target, something seemingly iognored amongst the shit on the matchday thread. I thought he was our best attacking player up until he was hooked that day.

Anyway, I would say that he is a very decent option. He'll always work hard and doesn't shy away from the ball if he doesn't beat a man. He's versatile and can cover at full backs or in midfield. He's just a decent squad player, expectations shouldn't be any higher than that. I'm relatively happy with his contribution so far and am even more inclined to stick up for the guy because he gets a fair amount of the shit that some of the golden boys at the club avoid for their past glories. I also quite like the idea of Wylde on the left just bombing up and down the wing all day while Ortiz does the opposite and sits in there, helping cover.

On yersel Juanma, I'd love him to get a title medal, keep it going lads

"He's alright"

I think that seems to be the majority opinion on him and that is why he won't be a regular or stand out at Rangers.

You need to be a lot more than just "alright" to stand out at our club.

Goian...more than alright and the same for Bocanegra.

Good players shine in their first few games and get better as the season goes on.

Alright players plod along and occasionally do alright.