Allan McGregor

simplythebest

I had a similar thought to the OP after he let that in, it's just a bit of a worry that he's making a few basic errors. Not just the goals he's let in (3 including Scotland) but in overall play as well. His distribution was better yesterday, but he's slipped back into "hoof up the park" ways of old too often this season for my liking. He also doesn't look as confident coming for crosses as he did for a while (barring the one immediately after the fumble).

I wonder if there's anything going on in his personal life? His performances seemed to improve dramatically when his off-field antics improved, is his concentration elsewhere during matches again?

He shouldn't be immune from criticism, or be complacent. We have a very good backup keeper who could take over if his performance dips too far. Of course, the problem with that argument is that Alexander has had one chance this season and made a monumental blunder himself! doh A strong word from the management and he'll hopefully be back to his best.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are some people so quick to defend McGregor yet when a player in another position makes an error which leads to a goal (Whittaker, Broadfoot etc) they demand they are dropped.

Perhaps because Whittaker and Broadfoot make mistakes more frequently, whereas generally McGregor is consistently outstanding and makes only the rarest of errors.

Perhaps because Whittaker and Broadfoot make mistakes more frequently, whereas generally McGregor is consistently outstanding and makes only the rarest of errors.

I understand your point mate but goalkeepers are different. A goalkeeper making basic errors that causes a goal is far more worrying than an outfield player. He deserves criticism. Don't get me wrong, I love Greggsy, but it is important that he keeps his concentration in check. The Goalie used to say that being The Rangers goalkeeper was mainly about concentration. You can be inactive for 89 minutes then need to make a save. McGregor needs to ensure that he is focussed as these basic errors can't continue. I hope Ally and co have a word.

Don't agree that it's only two 'mistakes' it's been two howlers and mistakes against Maribor and Malmo.

It's not just about those mistakes this season....distribution, catching and failure to get the ball away from the target when tested with a strike has been evident.

Some seem to act like this is the first time McGregor has made mistakes. Alan used to be error prone earlier in his career and has made errors often against the scum.

The mistakes should certainly not be shrugged off if we still win, or when he makes fantastic saves(that's what he's there to do) because others this season have not been given the same freedom of making mistakes. Jelavic and Lafferty rightly have been criticised for errors even when they score a goal, the same must apply to Alan McGregor. Alexander got slated for 1 error!

Still number 1 but must cut out those mistakes and improve other parts of his game.

Excellent post.

I think McGregor needs to be dropped for some time, i would be happy to see Alexander starting. We have two great keepers, but one of them obviously isnt in the form of his career. Of course, everyone makes mistakes, but we were really lucky to get out with 6 points after those two mistakes. Another one can cost us points, which is not acceptable.

I think McGregor needs to be dropped for some time, i would be happy to see Alexander starting. We have two great keepers, but one of them obviously isnt in the form of his career. Of course, everyone makes mistakes, but we were really lucky to get out with 6 points after those two mistakes. Another one can cost us points, which is not acceptable.

Fair enough. If you drop him for sometime, and Alexander comes in and is successful (and from the comments here it seems most seem to think that Alexander is a safer pair of hands) then that would be it for McGregor as Rangers number one.

I don 't think it's a safer pair of hands issue here,every keeper will make mistakes.

It's when it happens twice in the space of a few matches thats worrying,he needs to stay focused 100% of every minute of every game.

I mean come on to fuck 99.9% of the posters on here would have saved that shot yesterday! McGregor needs a kick up the arse being dropped or been giving a pep talk from Ally or one of the coaches.

Gazza, When Alexander came in he got us dumped out the cup with a last minute howler, lol.

Just saying. :D

Th grass isnt always bluer on the other side..

From the majority of comments here, it seems McGregor has become too much of a liability and Alexander is now the preferred keeper. Going on what is being said here, McGregor's days are numbered.

From the majority of comments here, it seems McGregor has become too much of a liability and Alexander is now the preferred keeper. Going on what is being said here, McGregor's days are numbered.

I dont think anyone is saying McGregor has become a liability.What has been pointed out is that this season he has had an unusually high number of errors given the high standards he has set for himself.The question is Why and what can be done to resolve it.A possibility is being dropped and replaced by Alexander who is a more than capable Goalie.More likely is Ally taking him aside and speaking to him about his form.If it doesnt improve then Alexander should be handed the Jersey.After all that is what competition is all about.

Yet at 2-0 you are comfortable and 2-1 with 10 minutes to go means you can be put under a lot of pressure.

If we had drawn the game then he would have been slaughtered, making a mistake at that stage in the game or any stage is unacceptable in my eyes.

We were comfortable for a reason. Aberdeen were all set to take a 1-0 lead when we had lost one of our most influential players to a serious injury. We took heart from that and gathered again at half-time and came out all guns blazing in the 2nd half. I don't know we would have had the same belief if we'd gone in behind.

History also showed even at 2-1 we were never in danger. Aberdeen were gash, and it took a fluke/mistake for them to score.

That's twice you have tried to allude to that chance as some outstanding save.

It was a good save but the attempt was right at him from a tight angle.

Was hardly Aberdeen ready to take a 1-0 lead!

"Fan in standing up for one of his players shocker!" :lol:

I think you need to watch it again.

Don't agree that it's only two 'mistakes' it's been two howlers and mistakes against Maribor and Malmo.

It's not just about those mistakes this season....distribution, catching and failure to get the ball away from the target when tested with a strike has been evident.

Some seem to act like this is the first time McGregor has made mistakes. Alan used to be error prone earlier in his career and has made errors often against the scum.

The mistakes should certainly not be shrugged off if we still win, or when he makes fantastic saves(that's what he's there to do) because others this season have not been given the same freedom of making mistakes. Jelavic and Lafferty rightly have been criticised for errors even when they score a goal, the same must apply to Alan McGregor. Alexander got slated for 1 error!

Still number 1 but must cut out those mistakes and improve other parts of his game.

Agreed with this and your next post,Shagger isn't untouchable and hopefully he was told to sharpen up.

It is unusual for McGregor to make mistakes, so when he does it gets highlighted more than usual.

Should he be dropped ... In my opinion No but he needs to focus as the mistakes he is making are ones a top level keeper shouldn't

I'd rather be honest and give constructive criticism than wear my blue tinted specs in a situation such as this.

Just watched it 10 minutes ago, maybe you need to watch it without being on drugs. (tu)

As Jocky Broon mentioned earlier I can't believe the selective reading on here, bar one or two OTT comments about McGregor being dropped(which is certainly not the case) the rest has been simple comments about his mistakes this season from the original poster and others like myself saying it has to stop and certain parts need to improve. Not the first or last player to receive such comments.

Not sure where the abuse is that Al Compton seems to have noticed.

:lol: Never have, and never will take drugs. What I will say is that over 75% of the keepers in the SPL would have gone straight for that ball and either taken the man down, or made it easy for Mackie to round him. Shaggers stopped before coming out & made sure he had his angles right before going out to him. If, as you say, the ball goes straight at him, it's because he's given Mackie sod all time to do anything else. I still say he saves it rather than it hitting him! (tu)

(tu)

Fair comment.

Good post mate.