Black Socks With Red Tops

Al Jolson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i believe it represents that, so for that reason i hope we never wear them again.

One Scotland many cultures (tu)

Red and black represent the colours of the govan district you fuckin moron.My old man used to tell me he was told by Jock Wallace they represented the colour of the funnels on the ships built in the govan shipyards, therefor should always be worn as part of the Rangers strip.They look as smart as fuck as well, tradition, not bigotry.Up to our knees in f****n blood was dreamt up over the years by the paranoid hoards.You are one of those.Fuck off back to KF street you tit.

No Surrender

Rab

I always want us to wear or traditional kit i.e blue shirts, white shorts and black and red socks. That way we always look like Rangers. How many times in the past have we shipped points wearing alternative colours? My mind goes back to a defeat at Motherwell in the 9 in a row days when for the first and last time in competitive football we wore a purple shirt.

Red and black represent the colours of the govan district you fuckin moron.My old man used to tell me he was told by Jock Wallace they represented the colour of the funnels on the ships built in the govan shipyards, therefor should always be worn as part of the Rangers strip.They look as smart as fuck as well, tradition, not bigotry.Up to our knees in f****n blood was dreamt up over the years by the paranoid hoards.You are one of those.Fuck off back to KF street you tit.

No Surrender

Rab

He was fishing... :D and you bit big time

I never understood that argument anyways. Surely if the socks were meant to represent being up to our knees in blood then it would make more sense if the socks were all red rather than black with red tops? Just a thought.

The black socks with red tops were introduced in 1904.

The song the Billy Boys which includes that line wasn't sung until the late 1920's/early 1930's and it's based on the Billy Fullerton who was the leader of the Brigton boys which were formed in the early 1920's.

So how do you explain the socks appearing over 20 years before the offending line then Einstein ?

Shhhhh. You're not allowed to use facts when arguing with morons as it only confuses them. Black and red are the colours of Govan. Govan High Schools colours are still red and black.

Blue shirt.

White shorts.

Black socks with red tops.

That's our colours.

Sometimes - we certainly did not set out with red and black socks. In fact - not until season 1904.

Mind you, personally, I love to wear the up-to-my-knees socks whenever I can. I find it a comforting affirmation of our WASP superiority.

Surely if the socks were meant to represent being up to our knees in blood then it would make more sense if the socks were all red rather than black with red tops? Just a thought.

It's much more in keeping with The Rangers tradition not to be seen to be boastful or self-indulgent - we rightly leave such grandiloquence to clubs of a much lower order.

The subtlety is important of course, but the vivid, blood-red band remains appropriately profound in it's rich symbolism.

Socks of beauty.

Shhhhh. You're not allowed to use facts when arguing with morons as it only confuses them. Black and red are the colours of Govan. Govan High Schools colours are still red and black.

Is it not the case that the first instances of Glaswegians wading up to the knees took place in Govan? The black to represent death - the deadly intent - and the red identifying the flow of enemy blood?

My own school - Hermitage Academy - is also a proud bearer of the black and the red.

I really dont see why you agree tbh. Do you think in this modern multi cultural society that we should be wearing socks which celebrate being up to our knees in f****n blood?

Get your heads out the sand, for the times they are a changing

They represent ship funnels, also Scotland used to wear the same socks in the 60's