The New Iron Curtain. Are they better than the old one?

Colonel Mustard

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We rarely sign shite centre backs, Konterman and a few others may be exception to that rule but in general we always have a solid back line. I wouldn't compare them to older sides though, especially those who few actually have watched on here, they rightfully have their names in the history books and once the season is over hopefully so will Goian and Bocanegra.

Any ideas for a new nickname?

And yet, they are outperforming their predecessors.

Back in the day the opposition were much more superior as to what our defence comes up against in this day and age. If the Iron Curtain from the 40's and 50's were playing now, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United and every other great team would be fighting over each other to try and sign Brown, Young, Cox, Woodburn, McColl at any price. Sadly, I don't see any of our capable defenders now getting into the great team of the 40's or 50's

Back in the day the opposition were much more superior as to what our defence comes up against in this day and age. If the Iron Curtain from the 40's and 50's were playing now, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United and every other great team would be fighting over each other to try and sign Brown, Young, Cox, Woodburn, McColl at any price. Sadly, I don't see any of our capable defenders now getting into the great team of the 40's or 50's

So, the opposition to Rangers were superior back in the day, which means the old guys would be very much wanted by the great teams?...

...but the present defenders would be unwanted, even though they are outperforming the old guys?

So, the opposition to Rangers were superior back in the day, which means the old guys would be very much wanted by the great teams?...

...but the present defenders would be unwanted, even though they are outperforming the old guys?

Okay what present player would get into the old iron curtain defence.

Okay what present player would get into the old iron curtain defence.

All of them.

Steven Whittaker is obviously better than Corky, as he offers more in attack, to go alongside the defensive excellence.

Goian is stopping the kind of goals that Woodburn used to be unable to prevent.

Bocanegra's record already speaks for itself, with being part of a defence that has only allowed 6 goals in 15 games.

Papac and Wallace must be outperforming Tiger, seeing as how they are not allowing chances to be created from their wing.

McGregor is pulling off world class saves whenever the efforts of the rest of the defence breaks down, and must be favourite to get the number one jersey over Brown or Dawson.

How can you make that judgement though?

Having read all opinions about them by older players, and read up about them, and my father and grandfather told me all about them, and they said they were all fantastic players. Now if you think that our present defence has the same quality of players, then that is up to you, as you are allowed your opinion. But read up on the old iron curtain and you might change your mind.

Having read all opinions about them by older players, and read up about them, and my father and grandfather told me all about them, and they said they were all fantastic players. Now if you think that our present defence has the same quality of players, then that is up to you, as you are allowed your opinion. But read up on the old iron curtain and you might change your mind.

I meant how can an accurate judgement be made on who's the better players in two complelty different generations of football.

In terms of effictiveness, our current defence seems to have the edge but in terms of quality, nobody can really judge. Many people who seen them play will also be influenced by the old nostalgia gogles as well!

I meant how can an accurate judgement be made on who's the better players in two complelty different generations of football.

In terms of effictiveness, our current defence seems to have the edge but in terms of quality, nobody can really judge. Many people who seen them play will also be influenced by the old nostalgia gogles as well!

You have seen the players in our defence, are they top class players.

Bingo (tu)

You have seen the players in our defence, are they top class players.

They are effective. Not being in Europe doesn't give us a decent platform to assess them unfortunatly but we also have no way of knowing how the iron curtain ranked in quality in terms of a continetal platform.

What defence is better is a comparison or a judement that can't be made accuratly.

They are effective. Not being in Europe doesn't give us a decent platform to assess them unfortunatly but we also have no way of knowing how the iron curtain ranked in quality in terms of a continetal platform.

What defence is better is a comparison or a judement that can't be made accuratly.

We were in Europe and got knocked out by pub teams.

We were in Europe and got knocked out by pub teams.

Do you think if we played those teams again with out current best starting 11 we get knocked out?

Im sure the iron curtain were involved in a few howlers in their time as well, its football, it happens.

Can you also tell me what players in our defence are top class.

I cant really argue about this because I dont know too much about the old iron curtain apart from my grandad telling me stories about them.

The only thing I can say, is that older members will be influenced by the old nostalgia goggles and its the same with any old team/players.