***The Official Champions vs Dunfermline Thread***

the goal machine

You have to remember its Australian Football and he is playing at a higher level at a bigger club but I would be very very surprised if we got dominated by an Australian team, I would be very surprised if we even lost to one.

Australian football has steadily improved. The same could be said for most nations in Asia generally. The SPL has been doing what? I'd suggest going in the opposite direction, and most Rangers supporters on here seem to say similar about Rangers themselves. Lets not forget that McKay is a central part of an Australian team ranked ~20.

It hurts to say it but the Rangers of today need to lift. It makes me cringe watching them play these days. I'll be honest and say I hadn't watched much SPL in a few years until McKay signed with Rangers, and the quality (lack thereof) of football was a bit of a shock.

I don't expect most to agree, that's opinions for you I guess.

My wife has stuck a gun in my back and is insisting on taking over for this post.

She is overly feisty and aeons old devotee of Matty. Please don't blame me for whatever she writes!

She starts -

I have noticed that you have constantly made negative comments about Matty. I would even wonder if you are a reletive of someomne who is not happy about Matty to be at the Rangers for some reasons.

I will start my rant now. This kind of post is just too much for us people who know how able and talented McKay is, and who are rather exasperated by how anit-football Ally's football is. I am beginning to think that Matty's cultured, pass and move, one touch football is wasted in this club. My suspicion is that he has far better tactical understanding than Ally, and also he is too technical and skillful for the majority of the team mates. I am no means saying that the Rangers should adopt tiqui taca in order to accommodate Matty. I just want to remind you that he used to be the captain of the team, branded as Roarcelona, which plays a similar type of football to Barca & Arsenal, and which has just made the record, 36 games undeafted and counting, equalling the unbeaten record of Real Sociadad, and chasing the likes of AC Milan and Arsenal for all time record.

Instead of making constantly negative comments about McKay without much knowledge, or using him as a scapegoat for team's inability to play decent football, the forum should debate on how the Rangers could improve the level of football/players' skills.

My rant is over for NOW. :)

There ia a certain team over here that seem to think they are sellcelona , that is neither here not there . He has looked out of his depth, the other night was friendly and I for one did not really notice him , really doing that much apart from run here and there and everywhere.

I cant remember us getting dominated this season at all.

Certainly not to a lower level team.

Malmo, Maribor, Falkirk, St Mirren, Hearts, Dundee Utd (at Ibrox 50/50), St Johnstone (58% at Ibrox), Kilmarnock

All of these teams are lower level and either won, had more possession or had same at Ibrox.

As for "dominated" St Johnstone, Falkirk and Kilmarnock.

So why couldn't you see us losing to a good Oz team?

Like we did under PLG? How did that turn out again?

So because one manager failed and his style just happened to be trying to play attractive football that means all managers will fail? Great logic there! No wonder Scottish football is so shit given the general fans attitude.

btw crowds are going down down down. It's about time Scotland woke up and began to play attractive entertaining football. It's the only way to survive.

So because one manager failed and his style just happened to be trying to play attractive football that means all managers will fail? Great logic there! No wonder Scottish football is so shit given the general fans attitude.

btw crowds are going down down down. It's about time Scotland woke up and began to play attractive entertaining football. It's the only way to survive.

I agree and the obvious answer is did Dick Advocaat fail in season 1 and 2 to introduce good attacking football?

You do not need masses of money to scout and coach good footballers. That has been proven time and time again in Europe where we are regularly played off the park by teams with little or no money.

The mentality in this country since the time of Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown is to be "hard to beat".

That mentality has permeated through all the managers, coaches and right through the Largs coaching system.

It is the same with Rangers in Europe and always will be whilst this permanently inferior mentality exists.

Did I say that all managers will fail if they try that? No .I didn't. I was simply giving an example of how it's failed in the recen past.

McCoist is just in the door, he's still finding his feet and trying to stamp his mark on the team and he is working under financial uncertainties and with a load of players who probably weren't his first choices in terms of what he wanted.

There have been some flashes of improvement in our playing style just like there have been occasions where we have reverted to type. It's all part of the transition that we are in.

Could the football be better? Of course it could but reading the same people moaning and moaning about out their expectancy for a Barcelona brand of football over and over and over again is tedious and tiresome.

At the end of the day we play in the SPL and unless every single club adopt a similar footballing philosophy at the same time teams are always going to have to be capable of mixing it up a little bit and have that 'dig' that is frowned upon on here because sadly that's the manner of the league we play in.

Could the football be better? Of course it could but reading the same people moaning and moaning about out their expectancy for a Barcelona brand of football over and over and over again is tedious and tiresome.

At the end of the day we play in the SPL and unless every single club adopt a similar footballing philosophy at the same time teams are always going to have to be capable of mixing it up a little bit and have that 'dig' that is frowned upon on here because sadly that's the manner of the league we play in.

Barcelona brand of football? At our level good football would be basic passing, moving and keeping possession. Then maybe we can think about playing like Barcelona. :lol: We can't even do basic passing at the moment or keep possession.

We don't need everyone in the league to change style to suit us, we should be dominating with good passing football given our resources. Just look at how our clubs get dominated in Europe because they don't know how to cope against teams which can play. This again shows the small minded mentality which is holding back our club and country.

Malmo, Maribor, Falkirk, St Mirren, Hearts, Dundee Utd (at Ibrox 50/50), St Johnstone (58% at Ibrox), Kilmarnock

All of these teams are lower level and either won, had more possession or had same at Ibrox.

As for "dominated" St Johnstone, Falkirk and Kilmarnock.

So why couldn't you see us losing to a good Oz team?

So we judge a game by possession now? :lol: and most of its nonsense, we had 57% possession against Hearts and beat Dundee United. Yes we have had a few poor performances but we have not been dominated.

And no way we got dominated in any of those games, Kilmarnock? we hit the post, got it cleared of the line and should have had a clear penalty while they had one good chance and a mistake led to their goal.

Dont be so silly.

And im not saying it isn't possible but its just a lower level, we should and would batter just about all of the Oz teams and because the best player in their League hasnt got off to a flyer and is reportedly been terrible in training they are getting all defensive.

And im not saying it isn't possible but its just a lower level, we should and would batter just about all of the Oz teams and because the best player in their League hasnt got off to a flyer and is reportedly been terrible in training they are getting all defensive.

And I'm saying given our season so far to say that we would beat all Oz teams is just a ridiculous statement to make having showed you examples when we have been beaten or outplayed by teams of a lower level.

All defensive? They are seeing a very good player being ruined by anti-football and he is not the only one at Ibrox in this situation which is why I'm more concerned for the club as a whole than just McKay alone.

It's hard to say that McKay has struggled so far.

Ally (and Walter) seem to have experience of leaving out more talented footballers in favour of supposed 'steady' guys like Broadfoot and McCulloch.

I thoroughly believe McKay has more ability in his wee toe than McCulloch has in his whole locker, but that - somehow - doesn't gaurantee you a game at Rangers.

It's hard to say that McKay has struggled so far.

Ally (and Walter) seem to have experience of leaving out more talented footballers in favour of supposed 'steady' guys like Broadfoot and McCulloch.

I thoroughly believe McKay has more ability in his wee toe than McCulloch has in his whole locker, but that - somehow - doesn't gaurantee you a game at Rangers.

McKay disappointed me against Hamburg as he is capable of so much more. However Amac9's comment about how he looks in training is what i've heard too. Don't know if it is a confidence thing or just adjusting to a higher level of football and expectation.

The real downside of the Hamburg game is that very few of the fringe players made a cast iron case for inclusion on Saturday.

Therefore it is almost inevitable we are going to see a time similar to the one that flopped badly against St Johnstone and Kilmarnock. McCoist via his signings and reserves has been left with very few options to change things around.

What has been noticeable to me though is not only the effect on the team of not having Naismith but also how badly missed Papac has been. The left side of the team in the absence of him and Wylde has been night and day.

Although Wylde had a stinker against Hamburg we really have no option but to put him in against Dunfermline simply because the quality of defender he will face is significantly lower than what he faced on Tuesday. That said he will really need to up his game and start adding some moves to his locker in able to get by defenders who can match him for pace.

Midfield has to be either Edu or McCulloch not both and certainly not at home to Dunfermline. There is an argument that neither of them should play as we simply don't need such a defensive minded player for this game. However i fully expect one of them to play on Saturday.

And up front it looks like Lafferty and Jelavic because quite simlpy we have no one else to replace them and that in itself is a damning indictment of McCoist's transfer policy in the summer.

If all these players are fit i expect to see the following team:

McGregor

Whittaker

Goian

Bocanegra

Papac

Aluko

Davis

Edu

Wylde

Lafferty

Jelavic

I still cannot see anything other than a similar game and performance as in the last two games but hopefully with 3 points at the end of it.

You have to remember its Australian Football and he is playing at a higher level at a bigger club but I would be very very surprised if we got dominated by an Australian team, I would be very surprised if we even lost to one.

Celtic, on the cusp of this season's kick-off, played three A-League teams. One convincing win, one narrow win, one loss. Each of the A-League teams were just beginning their preseasons; none had a complete roster of first-team players.

Australian footballers in the past needed to go overseas to play "at a higher level" and to earn a living wage.

These days, they go overseas to earn a bigger wage and because young people like an adventure. Often, however, it's not a step up football-wise. I think it's likely that SPL teams in general would be roughly even competition for A-League teams. Rangers and Celtic are better, but not by as clear a margin as they used to be.

Tbh this week I just want the three points. It's going to take something pretty special for ally to change his mind on his team selection, his formations and his captain.

If the usual team is out in the usual formation (everyone as far away from jelavic as possible) then I can only see a 0-0 draw, unless, god forbid we give the ball to jelavic in the box and sneak a 1-0.

Celtic, on the cusp of this season's kick-off, played three A-League teams. One convincing win, one narrow win, one loss. Each of the A-League teams were just beginning their preseasons; none had a complete roster of first-team players.

Australian footballers in the past needed to go overseas to play "at a higher level" and to earn a living wage.

These days, they go overseas to earn a bigger wage and because young people like an adventure. Often, however, it's not a step up football-wise. I think it's likely that SPL teams in general would be roughly even competition for A-League teams. Rangers and Celtic are better, but not by as clear a margin as they used to be.

Friendlys?

I can remember when they went over to Australia and pumped Brisbane Roar with their reserves so that logic fails.

And I doubt it, going overseas is still very much a higher level.

:McGregor:

:Whittaker::Bartley:

:Goian::Papac:

:Edu: :Davis:

:Aluko:

:McKay: :Wylde:

:Jelavic:

Although id like to drop the likes of davis, etc i cant see it happening unfortunately. Dont understand why people keep including Bartley in midfield, why cant we just play players in their natural position?