Police Report "No Sectarian Singing" at OF match

Ger for life

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-1635670

Strathclyde Police praised Old Firm fans for their behaviour at Wednesday's match and stated there had been no sectarian singing.

Well they must be deaf because I quite clearly heard Boys of The Old Brigade being belted out and NOT just by a small minority!

Seems you can get away with this behaviour at an OF game if you are a member of the home support at Parkhead.

Bet the SPL Observer didn't hear this either But then again this is the club that is allegedly persecuted by authorities.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll of Honour, Up the RA, Boys of the Old Brigade and apparently Roaming in the Gloaming. Yet again this proves that the Sectarian Bill is a sham.

It's a sham because, it depends on who is listening to the songs and deciding what is sectarian.

It would be funny to play some of their songs to whoever the observer is (without pre-warning), and see if he even recognises the ira ditties...

...I bet he'll know what The Sash and Derry's Walls sound like though (and not because he is a fellow brother).

Thing is, most of the ones that folk are saying were sung aren't sectarian. Anything to do with the IRA is illegal, but not necessarily sectarian.

Whatever one has the line about 'soon there'll be no Protestants at all' is sectarian though.

Selective media reporting, sure, but look where the source is.

i watched the game on the tv with a timmy and we both heard boys of the old brigade loud and clear a couple of times and it was being sung by more than a couple of hundred timms.we did wonder at the time if it would be reported.

just wondering what weight if any his comments would carry at the spl/sfa as he is a copper himself.

Salmond the Shitebags fault. This song will be outlawed soon though and when it does Celtic will end up getting hammered for it because they ain't giving it up easily, their fighting tooth and nail for it. Just sit back have a laugh and watch the fines roll in.

i watched the game on the tv with a timmy and we both heard boys of the old brigade loud and clear a couple of times and it was being sung by more than a couple of hundred timms.we did wonder at the time if it would be reported.

just wondering what weight if any his comments would carry at the spl/sfa as he is a copper himself.

None, they ain't outlawed it yet as far as I'm aware (could be wrong, though)

Thing is, most of the ones that folk are saying were sung aren't sectarian. Anything to do with the IRA is illegal, but not necessarily sectarian.

Whatever one has the line about 'soon there'll be no Protestants at all' is sectarian though.

It's an add on when they're singing "The Soldiers Song", which of course can't be banned as its a National Anthem. Go Home Ya H*** should be classed as Sectarian now, it's sung to Hearts, Motherwell and almost ever side in the SPL at one point by the scum support with the exception of Hibs.

I would vehemently dispute that comment, but anyway...can you tell me why (going by that logic), sectarian songs are reported, but other "illegal" ones are not?

I would vehemently dispute that comment, but anyway...can you tell me why (going by that logic), sectarian songs are reported, but other "illegal" ones are not?

Will be down to the songs as technically BOTOB although being an IRA song is not illegal as it related to 1916, we could also argue that the song is illegal and sectarian as they carried out ethnic cleansing of Irish Protestants between 1916-1920.

Unfortunately, the police who attend the games are only being advised on what to listen for rather than know the songs and the history behind them.

In the end the way it is going there could be a good few court cases on human rights coming up in the next couple of years.

I'm pretty sure the reason they won't ban BOTOB is because it was a folk song. It's that simple. What is in dispute however is whether the RA part was actually in the original song.

Will be down to the songs as technically BOTOB although being an IRA song is not illegal as it related to 1916, we could also argue that the song is illegal and sectarian as they carried out ethnic cleansing of Irish Protestants between 1916-1920.

Unfortunately, the police who attend the games are only being advised on what to listen for rather than know the songs and the history behind them.

In the end the way it is going there could be a good few court cases on human rights coming up in the next couple of years.

So, as I said, it depends on who the observer is, what he knows about history, what songs he actually recognises, and what he may or may not have been advised is unacceptable?

Sounds like a plan to me...

...from Nazi Germany or a communist police state.

Oh, and what makes singing about the ira, "technically" about the earlier ethnic cleansers, and why would that "technically" be OK?

So, as I said, it depends on who the observer is, what he knows about history, what songs he actually recognises, and what he may or may not have been advised is unacceptable?

Sounds like a plan to me...

...from Nazi Germany or a communist police state.

Oh, and what makes singing about the ira, "technically" about the earlier ethnic cleansers, and why would that "technically" be OK?

Listen to the words of the original song and not the ones about joining the IRA

They sing about the old brigade in the original song, as I said already there is nothing in the words to deem the song to be sectarian unless you have read or know about the ethnic cleansing/sectarian killings they carried out between 1916-1920

You do realise it is a battle with 90% of their songs as whether we like it or not it is a true fact that Protestants were in the IRA and that is where we are losing the fight by constant claiming their songs to be sectarian.

So if there was a folk song with racist words would it be ok to sing that?

Well it would appear so. There is no doubt the song is sectarian but they won't ban it because it's a folk song. It's seem like they trying to find away to ban it from football solely, which of course is easier said than done.