Advocaat dropping Moore and Vidmar

jafrfc

Was reading fourfourtwo today and there was an article about the Samoa national team and it was stating that they got beat 31-0 in a game with australia or a score along those lines.

However what caught my eye was that the article claimed that Advocaat dropped Craig Moore and Tony Vidmar from the next rangers game for being so disrespectful as to score so many goals against such a lowly side. I was only 11 at the time this happened so can't really recall it.

Was wondering if any members remembered the incident and what was made of it at the time?

Found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1269278.stm

Basically it seems that rather than being angry at such a stupid scoreline, he was pissed off that the Aussie coach made his players fly half way around the world to play in a game which they could have won easily without them. He also asked why his players were selected but players from the EPL were passed over for selection and essentially allowed to skip the game.

Found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1269278.stm

Basically it seems that rather than being angry at such a stupid scoreline, he was pissed off that the Aussie coach made his players fly half way around the world to play in a game which they could have won easily without them. He also asked why his players were selected but players from the EPL were passed over for selection and essentially allowed to skip the game.

This seems to clear it all up, well done. (tu)

I remember that joke of a game all too well. The coach of Australia at the time, Frank Farina, was totally out of order calling back Moore and Vidmar for that game.

We had already thumped Tonga 22-0 before this game and they were a far superior team to Americam Samoa, so there was no need for these two Rangers players to fly 12,000 miles to play.

My mate had phoned me up and asked me if i wanted to fly up to Coffs Harbour to see this "game" and then get on the piss with a couple of mates we had from up there, but there was no way I was forking out almost $800 to go watch a slaughter,because Australia could have played with seven players and no goalkeeper, and still won in a canter.

My mate went up himself, much to his later disgust, and it was that bad, he didn't have a clue what the final score was at the end. doh (and neither did anybody else because everybody said it was 32-0 and Archie Thompson had scored 14)

The actual score ended up 31-0 and the Australian scorers were...Archie Thompson (13 goals) David Zdrilic (8 goals) Con Boutsianis (3 goals ) Tony Popovic (2 goals) Simon Colosimo (2 goals) Fausto De Amicis 1 goal)

Weirdly enough, Dick Advocaat was correct in blasting Farina for what he did because most of those players were fringe players, except Farina wanted a strong backline of Muscat (capt), Moore, Popovic, Vidmar. where he should have used local basesd players. Farina was a total dickhead of a coach and proved that although you may be a good International player in Europe, it doesn't mean to say you have a fucking clue as a manager.

I really can't remember the Aussie keeper,Michael Petkovic making a save in that game.

And it wasn't true that Advocaat dropped Moore and Vidmar after that game, because his gripe was with Farina, and not our two players, but he did give them time off to recover.

For those interested, here's the time frame of goals scored in minutes....8-11-12-14-17-19-20-23-26-27-29-32-33-37-42-45-50-52-54-58-62-65-67-75-79-80-82-85-87-90-91 doh

*Edit....I forgot to put the "P" in Archie Thompson's name. :wanker:

Without such a slow first quarter of an hour, they could have broken the world record. :D

Well there was a reason for that CM....Our guys were still finishing their beer until 7 minutes after the ref blew for the kick-off, so we were slow out of the blocks :beer1:

I remember that joke of a game all too well. The coach of Australia at the time, Frank Farina, was totally out of order calling back Moore and Vidmar for that game.

We had already thumped Tonga 22-0 before this game and they were a far superior team to Americam Samoa, so there was no need for these two Rangers players to fly 12,000 miles to play.

My mate had phoned me up and asked me if i wanted to fly up to Coffs Harbour to see this "game" and then get on the piss with a couple of mates we had from up there, but there was no way I was forking out almost $800 to go watch a slaughter,because Australia could have played with seven players and no goalkeeper, and still won in a canter.

My mate went up himself, much to his later disgust, and it was that bad, he didn't have a clue what the final score was at the end. doh (and neither did anybody else because everybody said it was 32-0 and Archie Thomson had scored 14)

The actual score ended up 31-0 and the Australian scorers were...Archie Thomson (13 goals) David Zdrilic (8 goals) Con Boutsianis (3 goals ) Tony Popovic (2 goals) Simon Colosimo (2 goals) Fausto De Amicis 1 goal)

Weirdly enough, Dick Advocaat was correct in blasting Farina for what he did because most of those players were fringe players, except Farina wanted a strong backline of Muscat (capt), Moore, Popovic, Vidmar. where he should have used local basesd players. Farina was a total dickhead of a coach and proved that although you may be a good International player in Europe, it doesn't mean to say you have a fucking clue as a manager.

I really can't remember the Aussie keeper,Michael Petkovic making a save in that game.

And it wasn't true that Advocaat dropped Moore and Vidmar after that game, because his gripe was with Farina, and not our two players, but he did give them time off to recover.

For those interested, here's the time frame of goals scored in minutes....8-11-12-14-17-19-20-23-26-27-29-32-33-37-42-45-50-52-54-58-62-65-67-75-79-80-82-85-87-90-91 doh

Archie Thompson was born in New Zealand, but played for Australia 34 times and only scored 21 goals, 13 of them in one game,thats a bit of a lop sided scoring record that one, anyone know why he never played for NZ?

His 13 goal haul is a world record equalled only by John Petrie who scored 13 for our next opponents in the 36-0 slaughter of Bon Accord.

Archie Thompson was born in New Zealand, but played for Australia 34 times and only scored 21 goals, 13 of them in one game,thats a bit of a lop sided scoring record that one, anyone know why he never played for NZ?

His 13 goal haul is a world record equalled only by John Petrie who scored 13 for our next opponents in the 36-0 slaughter of Bon Accord.

I can tell you exactly why he never played for NZ, pc.....Archie was only a couple of weeks old when he came to Australia.His Mother is from Papua New Guinea and she became naturalised to become an Australian Citizen, so Archie has always considered him an Aussie and Australia his home, so it was natural for him to play for Australia.

I remember watching him playing junior football for Bathurst 75 way back in the early 90's in the local competition, and there was never any doubt he would go on to play professional football, mainly because of his speed at that age, and he knew where the net was, but I don't think he fulfilled his true potential to be honest with you.

Our cup opponents at the weekend hold the world record for a football victory in an 1885 Scottish cup victory against Bon Accord.

They won 36-0, so Ally better have the team set up properly on Sunday.

Colonel... You certainly come out with some gems!

00000042.gif