Grant Holt

Thommo

but this is my whole point...we currently have healy, 32 who will be gone at end of season

arguably, with Holt at 30, he is on the decline as well...

so this would mean that come this time next year, we will again be scouring the globe for a striker or two

Not only this, but i dont see, in our current climate, that the EPL offers good value for money, besides the fact that Norwich are flying high and there is no way they will let their 2nd highest scorer leave, given they are in a much more stable financial climate and have no reason to sell.

:lol:

I'll tell you, his goal-scoring record this season aint' to shabby for someone who's on decline, just off 1 in 2.

But aye, I'm sure scoring goals means fuck all if you're 30.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

I'll tell you, his goal-scoring record this season aint' to shabby for someone who's on decline, just off 1 in 2.

But aye, I'm sure scoring goals means fuck all if you're 30.

dont be a cunt.

He is a 30 year old footballer who has spent a decade floating in the lower leagues, mostly league one

Granted, he has 8 goals this year, but be senisble, the older you get, the slower you get, and the less effective you get...just ask james beattie who we signed for for 1.5mill

Back to my point, there are much more cost effective deals out there that will hopefully (as nothing is guaranteed) provide dividends both on the pitch, but eventually off it.

Our club needs to start looking bigger picture rather than short term fixes

dont be a cunt.

He is a 30 year old footballer who has spent a decade floating in the lower leagues, mostly league one

Granted, he has 8 goals this year, but be senisble, the older you get, the slower you get, and the less effective you get...just ask james beattie who we signed for for 1.5mill

Back to my point, there are much more cost effective deals out there that will hopefully (as nothing is guaranteed) provide dividends both on the pitch, but eventually off it.

Our club needs to start looking bigger picture rather than short term fixes

Not being a cunt at all. Grant Holt is clearly someone who'll be able to play for a few years yet, and with him being a target man in Scotland he'll more than likely last a lot longer than that. At £2 million he's a steal.

People need to realise that you can't make every signing a youngster with potential.

Holt would be a snip at £2 Million - especially if his goals won us the league.

it doesnt have to be a youngster...at 23 - 27, players may have four or five seasons under their belt

look at jela, look at salihi, both younger options, just about to hit their peak, with potential sell on, fantastic internation experience and good goal scoring record

Not being a cunt at all. Grant Holt is clearly someone who'll be able to play for a few years yet, and with him being a target man in Scotland he'll more than likely last a lot longer than that. At £2 million he's a steal.

ok fair play..but do we honestly believe, a newly promoted team, sitting 9th, after receiving 40mill for getting into the prem, would sell their 2nd highest scorer, captain and fans favourite for 2mill? highly unlikely

Whilst I agree that Grant Holt is a good player (not an exceptional one), I do not believe that we should be attempting to sign a 30 year old.

We should be seeking to bring in as many good young players as possible to build for the future and, of course, to realise a profit should they move on at a later date. That will not happen if we sign Holt and others like him.

If we do sign him I will not be unhappy, but it will not be the right (or the wise) move.

Whilst I agree that Grant Holt is a good player (not an exceptional one), I do not believe that we should be attempting to sign a 30 year old.

We should be seeking to bring in as many good young players as possible to build for the future and, of course, to realise a profit should they move on at a later date. That will not happen if we sign Holt and others like him.

If we do sign him I will not be unhappy, but it will not be the right (or the wise) move.

Sometimes players signed for potential struggle or fail altogether to live up to it (see Edu, Lafferty, who we'd probably not make a profit on). Occasionally can we not just sign a player because they will improve the team? If we sign a 30 year old for £2million and he's top scorer for 2-3 years and helps us win championships then I think thats money well spent.

Sometimes players signed for potential struggle or fail altogether to live up to it (see Edu, Lafferty, who we'd probably not make a profit on). Occasionally can we not just sign a player because they will improve the team? If we sign a 30 year old for £2million and he's top scorer for 2-3 years and helps us win championships then I think thats money well spent.

Agreed, a balance is what is required in order for younger players to flourish and reach their potential.

However, i think people are seeing it from the perspective that if an older player fails he will likely sit on his contract and collect his wage and he will no doubt be on higher wages and have cost more money to bring to the club. Also there will no doubt be less teams interested in taking him off our hands.

A younger player whom fails will be on a lower wage, will no doubt have cost less to initially bring to the club, and will not be happy just to sit back and collect a wage - he will be wanting to progress his career and move on if he sees him staying as a waste of time. Again, it will be more likely for other teams to want to take the player off our books, or at least take him on loan. A loan deal might actually work out, increase his value and perhaps even reignite his rangers career or increase his value at least.

Just realised how consistently good his goalscoring record has been over the last few years.

28 goals in 51 games in League 2 (08/09)

30 goals in 44 games in League 1 (09/10)

23 goals in 48 games in The Championship (10/11)

8 goals in 20 games in the Premiership (11/12)

That's an impressive strike rate being kept up by a player moving through the divisions so quickly.

I'd imagine with the regard that holt is held by Norwich if he asked to be allowed to move Lambert would probably agree to selling at the right price.

Even still there would be a host of clubs after him and i highly doubt we could meet the price they would be likely to ask for him, strange story this.

Agreed, a balance is what is required in order for younger players to flourish and reach their potential.

However, i think people are seeing it from the perspective that if an older player fails he will likely sit on his contract and collect his wage and he will no doubt be on higher wages and have cost more money to bring to the club. Also there will no doubt be less teams interested in taking him off our hands.

A younger player whom fails will be on a lower wage, will no doubt have cost less to initially bring to the club, and will not be happy just to sit back and collect a wage - he will be wanting to progress his career and move on if he sees him staying as a waste of time. Again, it will be more likely for other teams to want to take the player off our books, or at least take him on loan. A loan deal might actually work out, increase his value and perhaps even reignite his rangers career or increase his value at least.

All good points. We have been burnt by has-beens like Beattie before but I see Holt as a player in his prime with hunger who might want to come here and win a few medals which he won't get at Norwich.

Even still there would be a host of clubs after him and i highly doubt we could meet the price they would be likely to ask for him, strange story this.

He's pretty far in his contract, can't see them asking more than £2-3 Million.

I also don't see any other side interested able to offer him trophies and Champions League football, and at his stage of his career - winning things should be the priority.