It hurt when Gers didn't call, now I know why

julescotia

HIS head's in the state of Oregon.

But his heart's still in a state of shock.

Kris Boyd jetted out of Glasgow early yesterday morning embarking on his very own American dream.

But the former Rangers striker couldn't stop thinking about his Ibrox pals living out a nightmare.

Boyd, 28, has signed for Portland Timbers in a megabucks deal which takes his career to the MLS.

But his own excitement is quelled by the plight of the club where he enjoyed the best days of his career.

Ex-team-mates, coaches and behind-the-scenes staff are facing job losses this week amidst the horrors of administration.

And in an exclusive interview with SunSport Boyd admitted: "What's been happening at Rangers has been SHOCKING.

"I still can't get my head around it to be honest.

"I spent last week trying to organise things for my move to the States but all I could think about was the people at Rangers.

"Even as I drove to Glasgow Airport I passed Ibrox and I thought to myself: 'What's coming next?'

"I'm excited about playing in America, I can't wait to get out there and get started.

"But I'm still thinking about the lads and staff at Rangers and what they're all going through right now.

"I'm good friends with a lot of the boys and I know for a fact they're all hurting. In Allan McGregor, Lee McCulloch, Kirk Broadfoot and Steve Davis we're talking about REAL Rangers men. But it's not just the first-team players I feel for.

"Everyone — coaches, masseurs, office staff, kitchen ladies, security boys — they'll all be worried about what's around the corner.

"I just hope things work out and they can get back to normal because no one at Rangers deserves this.

"It's hard to understand what's actually gone on for it to get so bad. But the important thing now is that Rangers survives and comes through this.

"The lads won't be happy that they've had ten points taken off them through no fault of their own. Without that deduction they'll have believed they could push Celtic all the way.

"They'll never give up — even though Celtic have a 17 point lead now — but the main thing is that the club stays afloat. I just hope that can happen without anyone losing their job."

Had things worked out differently Boyd could be in at Murray Park this morning as a Rangers player.

After quitting Turkish club Eskisehirspor in January the first call his agent made was to Ibrox — only for NO reply to come back.

Boyd revealed: "Rangers were the first club my representative got in touch with after I left Turkey.But we didn't hear anything from them.

"For weeks everyone was talking about me returning to Ibrox. But no one took the time to call, even to say it wasn't going to happen.

"I'm not going to lie, that stung at the time I thought I at least deserved a phone call. But now, in the grand scheme of things, it's not the least bit important.

"We're talking about the survival of one of the biggest clubs in the entire world. I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost, it's killing me to see the club in this state.

"Rangers being here 100 years from now, that's the be-all and end-all."

Boyd's pain at missing out on a sensational return stemmed from a deep-rooted belief he could score goals at Ibrox once more.

He added: "Did I want to go back? Sure I did.

"At the end of the day they were looking for a goalscorer and I thought I could do a job for them.

"I've got faith in my ability so had I gone back I'd have fancied my chances to score goals for them again.

"Ever since the day I left Rangers, supporters have asked me when I was going back.

"The fans were great with me when I was there. I like to think I repaid them with the amount of goals I scored.

"But football moves on pretty quickly. The only thing that matters now is that Rangers continues as a football club. I've got a move to America and on a personal level I'm desperate to get started."

Boyd touched down in Portland last night.

He will have his medical with the ambitious MLS outfit tomorrow and should complete the deal within 48 hours.

Timbers boss John Spencer has lured him to America as one of his DPs — Designated Players — with Boyd hoping he can kickstart his career.

But the all-time record SPL goalscorer knows he'll forever be hit with criticism over his failings as a player.

Boyd added: "There will always be people who point to what I DON'T do. That's just the way it is, but my goals record stands up against anybody. Listen, I know for a fact there are better players out there. But what I'll do is score.

"Thinking about it, in some ways it's my goals record that kills me as a player.

"When people look at someone who scores a lot they think he should be an exceptional player. I'm first to admit I'm not.

"I know there have been games when I've been posted missing, and yet walked off the pitch with the match ball.

"But while people can argue I can't do this or that, no one can say I don't score enough goals as a striker."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4142438/It-hurts-me-when-Gers-didnt-call-me-back-now-I-know-why.html#ixzz1myGVncxM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with him up until this point:

"I'm not going to lie, that stung at the time I thought I at least deserved a phone call"

No Kris you didn't. You left us in the lurch last time, and if we had signed you then I would have supported you, but you don't DESERVE anything from us. (tu)

Its this sort of perception among fans that I find annoying.

A player that scored 101 goals for us in 143 appearances doesn't deserve to be labelled "shite" (tu)

He kind of said himself that he's pish, although not in such harsh terms.

He does nothing but find the next and his overall play is shite. Take away his goals, like in England and Turkey, and he's shite.

He kind of said himself that he's pish, although not in such harsh terms.

He does nothing but find the next and his overall play is shite. Take away his goals, like in England and Turkey, and he's shite.

Finding the net is what wins football games. Boyd's game is built around finishing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Boyd's goal tally and what he contributed in terms of taking his chances more than made up -at least at Rangers- for his other shortcomings (tu)

Finding the net is what wins football games. Boyd's game is built around finishing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Boyd's goal tally and what he contributed in terms of taking his chances more than made up -at least at Rangers- for his other shortcomings (tu)

That wasn't the point though, as a player he is pretty shite. As a goalscorer, in Scotland at least, he's as good as they come.

That wasn't the point though, as a player he is pretty shite. As a goalscorer, in Scotland at least, he's as good as they come.

I'd argue that's a contradiction bad player but good goalscorer. One asset of a good player is his ability to score goals and Boyd -at least in Scotland- had that in abundance (tu)

I'd argue that's a contradiction bad player but good goalscorer. One asset of a good player is his ability to score goals and Boyd -at least in Scotland- had that in abundance (tu)

I can't judge a player purely on goalscoring abilities. Yes, it's a vital part of Football, but it's completely separate from what makes a good player.

I was a big fan of Kenny Miller, even during his "Kenny Misser" period, and knew it was impossible to judge him on his goals. A player being a great goalscorer isn't the be all and end all of Football, he wasn't the all round package like say... Raul or ( :anguish: ) Larsson.

I can't judge a player purely on goalscoring abilities. Yes, it's a vital part of Football, but it's completely separate from what makes a good player.

I was a big fan of Kenny Miller, even during his "Kenny Misser" period, and knew it was impossible to judge him on his goals. A player being a great goalscorer isn't the be all and end all of Football, he wasn't the all round package like say... Raul or ( :anguish: ) Larsson.

*Booooo*

*Hiss*