McKay Off........

amcewan

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A warning: I'm not a Rangers fan, so you may prefer to stop reading now.

Nor am I a Brisbane Roar fan. But I began coming to this site last year and even watching Rangers games in the middle of the night (Australia time) to see how Matt was going. His fantastic performances for our national team had surprised me (and many others) and won me over. I was drawn to his story: that of a late-bloomer, who used his brain and worked very hard to make up for his lack of size, power and talent. He came to consistently dominate much more-fancied players.

Of course, I didn't see much of McKay at Ibrox. But I did get to see quite a lot of the Rangers and other SPL teams. And it's clear that Matt is a cut above most of your starting players, and far better than most starting SPL midfielders.

But more importantly for me, watching Rangers showed me that the A-League is a good league that is at least comparable to the SPL. It's nice to know that, after hearing so many people (we call them Euro snobs) rubbish our league in its early days. Sure, the SPL is more direct and, as a result, a faster league. The A-League is played in the Australian summer, after all. But our league also seems to have more variations in tactics and tempo. Importantly, it's improving noticeably each year.

My point? Rangers had my attention for a while but, rather than gain a fan, it made me lose any latent interest in the SPL. Yeah, I'm just one person. But who knows how many others, from Australia or elsewhere, have been attracted by the transfer of a player they admire, only to become disgusted by how a once-great club now plays. Don't get me wrong: clubs shouldn't buy players to expand their 'market'. But I've been amazed that so many of you assume McCoist must be right about McKay. Watch your team, then try watching a few games in other leagues around the world. You're supporting a turd.

There's a debate in Australian football circles at the moment about where we should look to, as a country where football is growing, for expertise, coaches and so on to guide us. Some pundits are fiercely anti-British, saying the English and, in particular, Scottish influence on our game held us back for decades. Rangers, and the McKay episode, are the latest example supporting their argument.

Adios.

Yes you're right, McKay's experience under a rookie manager of a team in desperate financial difficulties just shows how hopeless Scottish coaches are. It's not surprising that there's hardly any of them in much more successful leagues like, for instance, the EPL.

In fact I really can't remember the last time a Scottish coach won anything down there......

Look Bruce, fair enough to criticise the quality of the current SPL but to suggest that means Scottish coaches are poor just demonstrates that you're an idiot who has very limited knowledge of football. The Scottish coaches who have gone to Australia may not have impressed, but that's because the good ones have no interest in working in your crap, backwater league

Nor am I a Brisbane Roar fan. But I began coming to this site last year and even watching Rangers games in the middle of the night (Australia time) to see how Matt was going. His fantastic performances for our national team had surprised me (and many others) and won me over. I was drawn to his story: that of a late-bloomer, who used his brain and worked very hard to make up for his lack of size, power and talent. He came to consistently dominate much more-fancied players.

Of course, I didn't see much of McKay at Ibrox. But I did get to see quite a lot of the Rangers and other SPL teams. And it's clear that Matt is a cut above most of your starting players, and far better than most starting SPL midfielders.

But more importantly for me, watching Rangers showed me that the A-League is a good league that is at least comparable to the SPL. It's nice to know that, after hearing so many people (we call them Euro snobs) rubbish our league in its early days. Sure, the SPL is more direct and, as a result, a faster league. The A-League is played in the Australian summer, after all. But our league also seems to have more variations in tactics and tempo. Importantly, it's improving noticeably each year.

My point? Rangers had my attention for a while but, rather than gain a fan, it made me lose any latent interest in the SPL. Yeah, I'm just one person. But who knows how many others, from Australia or elsewhere, have been attracted by the transfer of a player they admire, only to become disgusted by how a once-great club now plays. Don't get me wrong: clubs shouldn't buy players to expand their 'market'. But I've been amazed that so many of you assume McCoist must be right about McKay. Watch your team, then try watching a few games in other leagues around the world. You're supporting a turd.

There's a debate in Australian football circles at the moment about where we should look to, as a country where football is growing, for expertise, coaches and so on to guide us. Some pundits are fiercely anti-British, saying the English and, in particular, Scottish influence on our game held us back for decades. Rangers, and the McKay episode, are the latest example supporting their argument.

Adios.

Eh? You shitting me pal.

I've regularly watched the A-League show on sky the past number of weeks and it is fucking awful. The biggest long ball league I have ever seen in my life, little chip down that wing, another down that, it is literally awful. Nobody in that league has any technical ability and just like you best pal Matt, has no physical ability.

Besart Berisha for example, can't cut it anywhere in Germany, Denmark, England or playing for his country. Yet goes to Australia and he's the fucking best striker in the league. :lol:

As much as it may hurt you, your team is pish and always will be in that shitty league.

Oh and one last thing before I go, The Mariners are three points clear with a game in hand haha. :mutley: :mutley: :mutley:

Adios.

Fuck off you wanker.

P.S. The fucking ashes are ours to keep.

Adios.

Aye Aussie football is fucking fantastic. And yes I have watched and occasionally do watch when i do a wee bet. The standard is pish poor and would put it alongside the Irish League.

Mckay aint good enough... simple as that, 'lack of size, power and talent' is the reason he hasn't made it, along with the possibility of his attitude.

1330138907' post='1059809153']

Adios.

It's interesting that you joined a fan's forum to follow him.

Are you related to him or are him by any chance? He didn't get a game because he wasn't good enough. Ran about like a headless chicken when given the option.

You fucking Austrailan's have got some fucking arrogance. Who gives a fuck if you are anti-British or Scottish, we aren't wanting to win any popularity contests.

Another thing, your accent is fucking more annoying that the Irish.

Adios.

:lol:

Do you really think anyone cares a jot about you or your fellow Australian 'anti-British' pundits that have been affected by the McKay saga ?

Jog on. :drugang:

This signing will have done our image in Australia no good whatsoever. Gutted it did not work out for him and wish him well where ever he ends up. I actually thought he looked bright and enthusiastic from what little i saw of him in a Rangers jersey.

The same league where Liam miller, Franny Jeffers, Steven mcgarry, Juho makala, Eric partaluu, Michael mcglinchy, Grant brebnar etc are all considered excellent players? Mate, the SPL regularly produces players for the epl, when was the last a league player to move to epl? A league is a feeder for Asian clubs... Greanted it's getting better, and some clubs would do ok in SPL, but it's not there yet.

I often wonder why people such as Couscous come on to a football Club FAN site and rubbish the Club. What do they hope to achieve with this stuff?

We have them on the Roar fan forum as well.

Must enjoy being abused.

BTW. Matty played 15 games on loan to a Chinese club in 2009. He went OK from memory. Hope he gets some games in Korea.

cheers

Benny

Read more here. http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/soccer/matt-mckay-happy-to-chase-more-first-team-opportunities-with-korean-team-busan-lpark/story-e6frepmf-1226284407913

Not saying this article is true. The Courier Mail is the Brisbane daily newspaper and supports all football codes except Soccer football.

cheers

Read more here. http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/soccer/matt-mckay-happy-to-chase-more-first-team-opportunities-with-korean-team-busan-lpark/story-e6frepmf-1226284407913

Not saying this article is true. The Courier Mail is the Brisbane daily newspaper and supports all football codes except Soccer football.

cheers

Well that puts a different slant on things. So Ally made a last minute plea for him to stay. Slightly at odds with what everybody else saw.