Johnston Says Ng Is "Credible"

trueblue68

CREDIBLE as a businessman. Genuine as a man.

Bill Ng is both as far as Alastair Johnston can tell.

But is he right for Rangers? The former Ibrox chairman last night told SunSport he’s yet to be convinced.

Far East millionaire Ng has emerged as the front-runner to gain control of Gers — believed to be ahead of US-based Bill Miller in the race for preferred bidder status after Paul Murray and his Blue Knights stepped aside.

Administrators Duff & Phelps have an obligation to do due diligence on prospective buyers.

But Johnston has revealed he’s already made checks of his own.

And the man who once urged everyone to watch Craig Whyte like a hawk insists Ng hasn’t yet done enough to assure him Rangers’ future would be safe in his hands.

Johnston said: “I’ve done my own checking using my sources in America and Singapore.

“I’m quite familiar with the guy and what he’s doing. I just want to make sure in my own mind that his primary purpose is to serve the interests of Rangers Football Club.

“He’s obviously got aspirations for a profile, as he’s acknowledged, to help Singapore football. I’m not sure what that actually means, if that’s maybe a conflict with respect to what his priority is and serving Rangers Football Club.

“As I understand it, the man is credible, he IS genuine. He has some money and some monied partners.

“It’s whether I really think he knows what he’s getting into. Does he understand the expectations of Rangers fans? The jury’s still out as far as I’m concerned.

“The money also has to be real and available very quickly. You know, Craig Whyte drained the life-blood out of Rangers. It really needs revived.

“It really needs a significant amount of resuscitation. And quickly.

“The only opportunity Rangers has is a change of control, that is an event where the expectation of the fans is that there is going to be investment in the club.

“If the new owner does not have the ability or the willingness to put money in very quickly that’s going to be a huge disappointment, possibly even a barrier to the continued support of the club.”

Ng has yet to reveal his full intention. Very little is known about the Singapore businessman and that’s what worries Johnston. Rangers don’t have time to make another mistake.

Johnston, speaking from his home in the States, added: “It’s about transparency. Who is involved? Where is the money? Not only has that money got to be real, it’s got to be defined, it’s got to be available.

“It’s got to be known what he’s going to do with it. Then he needs to come out and get the Rangers fans’ support to move forward and do this.

“If he doesn’t get that support he’s got a problem. The fans have the tap that turns on the oil or not. I’m talking about season tickets, hospitality and concessions. Everything that they buy is the primary source of income for that club.

“The American bid and the Singapore bid need to totally understand that 90 per cent of the revenue for Rangers Football Club going ahead comes from the fans.

“Potentially without the TV money, with Rangers perhaps stepping down a division or two, the fans become even more important.

“I’m still not sure there is an appreciation of that by the foreign bidders.

“I’d like to get more assurance of that before sanctioning them as the ideal choice for Rangers. Whether it’s the Singapore bid or the American bid just get out in front, just be honest about it, be transparent.

“The bottom line is we cannot have another Craig Whyte situation.

“There is going to be investment involved in saving this club and that means rebuilding for next season.

“Unless the Singapore group is prepared to do that — and I’m not sure how they can actually confirm how much they’re going to spend given the variations in the terms of where Rangers are going to sit in the league — it’s very much work in process.”

The Ng bid has emerged as the frontrunner after Ticketus opted to work with them rather than Paul Murray and his Blue Knights.

Johnston understands why, but is still wary of their role.

He added: “Ticketus are looking for the best deal for themselves.

“It seems the arrangement they now appear to have with the Singapore group is better than the one they had with the Blue Knights.

“Keep in mind that any money that is going to an owner — or to defer Ticketus’ obligation, or mitigate them — is money that’s not going to go into the club.

“Ticketus obviously have their own investors they have to look after. To some extent they were embarrassed by the Whyte deal. If the Singapore bid is going to give them a better deal then you can see why they’d take that.

“At the end of the day most Rangers fans don’t really care who the new owner is. It’s about how much money is going to go into the club.”

The part administrators Duff & Phelps have played in Rangers’ recent history is also open to interpretation with bean-counters Paul Clark and David Whitehouse covering themselves in little glory.

Johnston added: “I’ve heard they’ve been naive. I’ve heard they’ve been conflicted. I’ve heard they might be out of their depth. I’ve heard a lot of these things but the jury is still out. Lets see how it ends up.

“Certainly I share the concerns about the fact that they have to get their ducks in line a little bit better, and a lot faster than they’ve been doing.”

Johnston simply cannot understand how discredited owner Whyte can still have a say in how Rangers emerge from their dire situation.

He added: “I think it’s incredible. But when I heard the administrator say that Whyte was irrelevant, I thought that was a very naive statement.”

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4263007/Ex-Rangers-chairmans-fears.html#ixzz1sLEKrmcD

I have massive respect for AJ.. I know hes not popular with some but i felt we were ticking over OK under his tenure financially.

Anyway its a very good article spelling out to the potential buyers whats needed and the fact that a fair level of investment will instantly win us over.

I am not the biggest fan of Johnston. Actually, what I should say is, I have been sceptical in the past when it comes to the motivation behind the former chairman's statements. That being said, he has in the past, shown that he will stick the knife in when he himself is sceptical. As such, I think that this is an encouraging statement given the eventuality that Ng does take over.

Good read.

I don't think he should have any worries on the "expectations of Rangers fans" part.

I would imagine that after a brief meeting with Coisty, he would be FULLY aware of what we want. (tu)

You mean Mr. Ally, mate. ;)

Should be Sir Ally in my eyes, but either will do. :D

All in good time, mate. ;)

I just hope Super can, at some point, have a season where he is not plagued with trouble off the pitch. Then we can judge him on his ability and not on his ability to be steady in the face of great adversity.

All in good time, mate. ;)

I just hope Super can, at some point, have a season where he is not plagued with trouble off the pitch. Then we can judge him on his ability and not on his ability to be steady in the face of great adversity.

I will drink to that mate. :beer1:

I am not the biggest fan of Johnston. Actually, what I should say is, I have been sceptical in the past when it comes to the motivation behind the former chairman's statements. That being said, he has in the past, shown that he will stick the knife in when he himself is sceptical. As such, I think that this is an encouraging statement given the eventuality that Ng does take over.

+1 Agree and saved me some typing

This is from the man that was given the job of finding a buyer, and says this is a genuine guy after using his contacts in the =good ol USofA.

Why the fuck did you not use these contacts 4 years ago oh noble number 1 fan.

I have empathy with your position here, mate. But, he was not quick to stick knives in to all and sundry previously. As such, his endorsement of Ng should be taken as a small, token positive.

This is from the man that was given the job of finding a buyer, and says this is a genuine guy after using his contacts in the =good ol USofA.

Why the fuck did you not use these contacts 4 years ago oh noble number 1 fan.

Oh and just a quick point to augment yours...

You'd think Johnston would use his extensive network of contacts to add more financial weight behind his friends bid. Wouldn't you?

I have empathy with your position here, mate. But, he was not quick to stick knives in to all and sundry previously. As such, his endorsement of Ng should be taken as a small, token positive.

Can agree with what you say, but he still leaves a cloud over him. I like the way Ng has just got the head down and moved on with things, there is no need to give full details to the public domain until a deal is signed off.