Transfers

Falcao is dreadful business for United.

They're paying ~£10m to take a striker on loan for a year, only to have the option to buy him for the same price as his last move, when he'll be 2 years and a serious knee injury older.

It, combined with Di Maria, just makes United look desperate to prove a point by bringing in any available big names, rather than actually considering who the best additions to their squad would be.

There's little point bringing in Falcao when Smalling is your best defender.

They're paying ~£10m to take a striker on loan for a year, only to have the option to buy him for the same price as his last move, when he'll be 2 years and a serious knee injury older.

It, combined with Di Maria, just makes United look desperate to prove a point by bringing in any available big names, rather than actually considering who the best additions to their squad would be.

Exactly.

They did the very same thing with Mata in January last season.

They didn't need him due to having Rooney, Kagawa, Juanazi ect in his position but went with it to appease the support and prove they can still spend money.

There is no long term plan at United, it's just brining in big names for the sake of it.

You can have all the quality in the world at that end of the pitch but if you have a defence and midfield that screams mid table or below then you are going to struggle badly.

Exactly.

They did the very same thing with Mata in January last season.

They didn't need him due to having Rooney, Kagawa, Juanazi ect in his position but went with it to appease the support and prove they can still spend money.

There is no long term plan at United, it's just brining in big names for the sake of it.

You can have all the quality in the world at that end of the pitch but if you have a defence and midfield that screams mid table or below then you are going to struggle badly.

Pretty much.

To be honest you can say the same of Fellaini going further back, United panic when they are accused of not buying enough and bring in expensive players for expensive players sake.

Don't let the money involved cloud the fact that Falcao is a top player who (if stays fit) will score goals for them and win them matches.

I guess it's like a £10m gamble, he scored hit 25+ goals and help them get top 4 and that fee is instantly paid back by CL money. And if that's the case, I'm sure everyone would agree he'd be worth the 40odd mil.

Don't let the money involved cloud the fact that Falcao is a top player who (if stays fit) will score goals for them and win them matches.

I guess it's like a £10m gamble, he scored hit 25+ goals and help them get top 4 and that fee is instantly paid back by CL money. And if that's the case, I'm sure everyone would agree he'd be worth the 40odd mil.

He hasnt been at the form he had at Madrid for a while now even before his horror injury.

He's 29 soon and it's being reported it's a €20 million loan.

It would have been a better signing had United needed a striker...however they don't or not badly enough to take this transfer when the middle and back of the team is utter mince.

He hasnt been at the form he had at Madrid for a while now even before his horror injury.

He's 29 soon and it's being reported it's a €20 million loan.

It would have been a better signing had United needed a striker...however they don't or not badly enough to take this transfer when the middle and back of the team is utter mince.

RVP was 29 when he signed for Utd and his goals helped them win the league. Quite a similar situation, Falcao could well be worth the risk like RVP was.

Falcao fee is apparently only 6million for a season-long loan. Great business by United, seeing as RVP looks done.

It shouldnt be their only move of the day though. Id spend on Vlaar, Williams as well as Rojo and all of a sudden it doesn't look a bad side. Wouldn't sell Welbeck as I rate him, but don't think Van Gaal has the patience to persist with him.

Arsenal are fecked if they believe Sanogo will contribute anything. Yet to score for the club in a competitive fixture, and looks about as comfortable with the ball as Maurice Edu.

RVP is finished?

:lol:

He just had a great World Cup

Apparently he's picked up another injury which could keep him out of action for a couple of months. Difficult to recover to full fitness at that age. He's still got world class finishing, but he has nowhere near the impact on games he used to have 3-4 seasons ago.

That 'gamble' would be far better made on a quality defender. Their issues at the back are far more likely to cost United a Champions League place than lack of goals at the other end.

If Man United were to bring in a centre back, to add to the players they've brought in, they might just get this 3-5-2 strategy to work.

Might be too late though and I don't see the point at all in risking no Champions League again to try and force it to work when you've got Di Maria, Mata, Herrera, Shaw and Rojo already at the club. With Falcao on the way they could go 4-2-3-1, start their season over again and probably mount a title challenge.

Arrogant bastard.

If Man United were to bring in a centre back, to add to the players they've brought in, they might just get this 3-5-2 strategy to work.

Might be too late though and I don't see the point at all in risking no Champions League again to try and force it to work when you've got Di Maria, Mata, Herrera, Shaw and Rojo already at the club. With Falcao on the way they could go 4-2-3-1, start their season over again and probably mount a title challenge.

Arrogant bastard.

Good point actually.

De Gea

Smalling Jones Rojo Shaw

Fletcher Herrera

Mata Rooney Di Maria

Falcao

That side would almost certainly get top 4 once you add another CB, and you could also drop Di Maria back to midfield and play Januzaj or Young, and still have RVP as a back up striker.

Their squad is much better suited to that shape/system. All they'd need is a decent player to come in for Fletcher and a new defender. Blind could play in that midfield role, or you'd be dropping one of Shaw/Rojo.

If I was United manager this Summer I would probably have signed Gareth Barry for the middle of the park. He's not the best, and he's not a sexy signing, but he's exactly what their midfield lacks.