Should Football Be 10-a-side?

Just sticking this out there...

was thinkign about the game today and what possible changes could be made (probably never will, but hey).

Gotta admit, the Euro's was the most disapointing tournament i can remember, from an entertainment point of view. While i can appreciate that technically the players of todays game keep getting better, i can help but feel negative tactics seem to be winning the day.

We all slated Craig Levien when he played a 460 against the Czechs, but now the spanish are doing it. Their approach is obviously different, the Spanish philosophy is centered around possession retainment. To retain possession you always need to outnumber your opponent in the action areas. The forwards drop in deep and the defenders push up higher squeezing the pitch down to about a 3rd of it's size.

Portugal against Spain was mind numbing, Portugal were 1 of the few teams to live tactically with Spain, with Nani and Ronaldo stifling them playing out of the back and Pepe/Coentrauo, the Real Madrid boys adopting a Mourinho V Barca style workrate & gameplan. I'm not going to lie, that game was fucking mind numbingly boring, even if yo ucan appreciate the chess match taking place.

Italy against England was another i found incredibly boring, Pirlo took the Xavi role with Italy just outpassing England, who's old school 442 style system just couldnt get them out their own half, and possibly 1 of the better example of modern possession retainment tactics showing it's dominance.

Do you think the game could have greater appeal & be more entertaining if it were 10-a-side? & Perhaps allow up to 5 subs to drastically change games/shapes throughout. When all is said and done, we all watch football to be entertained, imo i think 10 v 10 woudl open games up much greater, place more emphasis on speed and fitness, and overall we'd see more goals & more chances.

In some of the masters 5-a-side games there is a rule where you must have at least one player in the opposition half at all times.

I would introduce a similar rule for normal 11-a-side games. Two players must be in opposition half (or at least on half-way line to stay on side). It would instantly kill off 4/5/1 formations which have destroyed much of the entertainment in football recently and force every team to play at least two strikers.

In some of the masters 5-a-side games there is a rule where you must have at least one player in the opposition half at all times.

I would introduce a similar rule for normal 11-a-side games. Two players must be in opposition half (or at least on half-way line to stay on side). It would instantly kill off 4/5/1 formations which have destroyed much of the entertainment in football recently and force every team to play at least two strikers.

it's kinda crazy but wouldnt be such a bad idea to trial.

Afterall FIFA introduced the offside rule to stop players simply poaching in front of the goal, this would be almost the opposite. The anti-offside if you will, to stop overly negative play.

The Euros were 10 times better than the world cup in 2010.

not a chance. Some of the games at world cup 2010 were excellent, Netherlands-Brazil, Argentina-Mexico & Uruguay-Ghana were the stand-out matches for me. Oh, and Germany humping England.

There wasn't a singel game at this Euros i enjoyed as much as any of the above mentioned. And the Euros will never live up to the excitement of the world cup, ever. The south americans are the definition of entertainment in football.

Gotta admit, the Euro's was the most disapointing tournament i can remember, from an entertainment point of view.

I genuinely don't know what to say about that... wow.

Maybe you just have an amazingly good grasp of how to use a keyboard for a 2 year old.

I genuinely don't know what to say about that... wow.

Maybe you just have an amazingly good grasp of how to use a keyboard for a 2 year old.

i've an amazingly good grasp of yer maws cock

Football used to be a simple game where 11 real men came up against another 11. Years of changing have meant the game has becamer a lot tamer and IMO not as good as it once was. Maybe im one of these old fashioned guys who doesn't like change but I get a bit fed up with change after change. Introducing goal line technology is one thing as we have it and it doesn't drastically alter how the game is played, but leave the rest.

A for this being a shit tournament? Really? I thought it was one of the best in years. Some of the football was breathtaken. Pirlo, Iniesta, Ronaldo big names you want to see at big tournaments were amazing. The final was a spectacle of footballing genius. I think you must have missed most of the games and only watched a couple that were shit.

Just sticking this out there...

was thinkign about the game today and what possible changes could be made (probably never will, but hey).

Gotta admit, the Euro's was the most disapointing tournament i can remember, from an entertainment point of view. While i can appreciate that technically the players of todays game keep getting better, i can help but feel negative tactics seem to be winning the day.

We all slated Craig Levien when he played a 460 against the Czechs, but now the spanish are doing it. Their approach is obviously different, the Spanish philosophy is centered around possession retainment. To retain possession you always need to outnumber your opponent in the action areas. The forwards drop in deep and the defenders push up higher squeezing the pitch down to about a 3rd of it's size.

Portugal against Spain was mind numbing, Portugal were 1 of the few teams to live tactically with Spain, with Nani and Ronaldo stifling them playing out of the back and Pepe/Coentrauo, the Real Madrid boys adopting a Mourinho V Barca style workrate & gameplan. I'm not going to lie, that game was fucking mind numbingly boring, even if yo ucan appreciate the chess match taking place.

Italy against England was another i found incredibly boring, Pirlo took the Xavi role with Italy just outpassing England, who's old school 442 style system just couldnt get them out their own half, and possibly 1 of the better example of modern possession retainment tactics showing it's dominance.

Do you think the game could have greater appeal & be more entertaining if it were 10-a-side? & Perhaps allow up to 5 subs to drastically change games/shapes throughout. When all is said and done, we all watch football to be entertained, imo i think 10 v 10 woudl open games up much greater, place more emphasis on speed and fitness, and overall we'd see more goals & more chances.

:anguish:

Go and watch WWE, ffs.

Can't believe people are claiming the Euros were boring and disappointing, it was the first tournament in a long time that I was looking forward to the majority of games.

There were shocks (Dutch & Russia going out in the groups, host nations winning opening games ect), Drama in the penalty shootouts with Spain/Portugal – England/Italy and a fantastic final to end which is very rarely seen. (The WC2010 final was a HUGE disappointment and was just a brawl at times).

Can't believe people are claiming the Euros were boring and disappointing, it was the first tournament in a long time that I was looking forward to the majority of games.

There were shocks (Dutch & Russia going out in the groups, host nations winning opening games ect), Drama in the penalty shootouts with Spain/Portugal – England/Italy and a fantastic final to end which is very rarely seen. (The WC2010 final was a HUGE disappointment and was just a brawl at times).

Agree with this 100%.

The lack of Vuvuzelas at the Euros was a further positive.

No. The tournament was good, the final even better.

Only way I can see teams matching Spain/Barca is to really work work work on co-ordinated closing down of possession and breaking with great pace and precision.

Either that or copy Spain and do it better but frankly I think that's impossible.