As Rfc52 said the other night

Eck_54

Completely agree here. I understand the relevance to our history. The one thing that gets me though is all those singing about 'fighting the IRA' and how, despite having absolutely no links to Ulster other than supporting Rangers, Ulster is home yet condemn timmy for claiming Ireland as home.

Just because people sing the words to a song written for those in Ulster doesn't mean they call it home or believe it is. If I sing a song about playing for Rangers it doesn't mean I believe I can. I don't think singing the lyrics to songs of this nature should be taken so literally.

He's right though,you can't preach unity then in the same breath expect Rangers supporters to change just because you don't agree with the way they support their club.

Fans like that are just divisive,unless the songs are harming the club these guys need to like it or lump it.

Or they could be pro-active and print out flyers and hand them out before matches and start online campaigns asking Rangers supporters to leave out these songs that don't sit right with a small section of the support.

I think we all know how successful that would be though but hey if they feel that strongly about it then do something about it.

Where have l asked any fans to change? Thats right, nowhere, so please stop putting words in my mouth, cheers.

look mate most off us just get on with it and really don't give a fuck to be honest, but l do draw a line when we are on here talking to each other like shit all because of our religious and political views.

The irony in these threads is unbelievable. If there was a thread like this celebrating terrorists and child murderers, the uber offended would be up in arms...

No difference between the UVF, IRA in my book...all killed innocent civilians, have fuck all to do with football. Why is this in the Bears Den?

I know what you're saying but the IRA terrorised Britain for years. (YOUR COUNTRY) The likes of the loyalist paramilitaries fought back and im for one glad we had these men who took the war to the IRA and defended us.

And before dherek jumps in! im not saying its right that innocent people were killed but thats what happens in situations like this.

People might not like loyalist paras but we needed them and im glad they fought back.

http://www.grandorangelodge.co.uk/press/other_articles/cluan_place.html

Where have l asked any fans to change? Thats right, nowhere, so please stop putting words in my mouth, cheers.

look mate most off us just get on with it and really don't give a fuck to be honest, but l do draw a line when we are on here talking to each other like shit all because of our religious and political views.

You clearly disagree with these songs and can't wait to nod your head in approval at anyone slating them and their place at the football.

You don't sing them,that's your right,we do,that's our right,

On your final point,it's the internet I think you're a bit too sensitive.

Just because people sing the words to a song written for those in Ulster doesn't mean they call it home or believe it is. If I sing a song about playing for Rangers it doesn't mean I believe I can. I don't think singing the lyrics to songs of this nature should be taken so literally.

isn't that precisely what makes the plastics pastic? This bizarre belief that a region is claimed as home despite only having a tenous link at best to their newly claimed home?

Plenty bears fall into all the kiddy on ulsterman pish because they think thats what you need to do to be a 'real' Rangers man. When it comes to being in the pub with other Rangers men, I couldn't care less how much you hate catholics or how many walks you've been in or the fact that you can play Penny Arcade on the flute. However, if you can sit and tell me stories about watching Rangers play Morton at Cappielow in the snow in 1974 and remember travelling to furthest reaches of Europe to watch Rangers against a team of teachers and fishermen then THAT is what matters. Nothig else.

What I'd like to know is what is the relevance to Rangers Football Club in 2012 of the UVF? or the Orange Order? Seriously. What links have the club had and since maintained with either organisation?

The relevance is in the history. Sure the Club have been quiet on this front probably since '03-'04 since the orange strip but the Club took advantage of these links for decades and so they are now ingrained in many. I see no real reason to distance one from the other in light of our history unless it actually harms the Club and they ask us to, which they have in the past with certain songs. For the most part these songs have disappeared from Ibrox- The Billy Boys, The Famine Song, the UVF version of Simply the Best even The Sash which is in no way a sectarian song among many others. This proves to me that the Loyalist section of the Rangers support do listen to the Club even if they don't like it so why does everyone want to eradicate them and make Ibrox even more sterile than it has been for years?

isn't that precisely what makes the plastics pastic? This bizarre belief that a region is claimed as home despite only having a tenous link at best to their newly claimed home?

Plenty bears fall into all the kiddy on ulsterman pish because they think thats what you need to do to be a 'real' Rangers man. When it comes to being in the pub with other Rangers men, I couldn't care less how much you hate catholics or how many walks you've been in or the fact that you can play Penny Arcade on the flute. However, if you can sit and tell me stories about watching Rangers play Morton at Cappielow in the snow in 1974 and remember travelling to furthest reaches of Europe to watch Rangers against a team of teachers and fishermen then THAT is what matters. Nothig else.

Love it!

The relevance is in the history. Sure the Club have been quiet on this front probably since '03-'04 since the orange strip but the Club took advantage of these links for decades and so they are now ingrained in many. I see no real reason to distance one from the other in light of our history unless it actually harms the Club and they ask us to, which they have in the past with certain songs. For the most part these songs have disappeared from Ibrox- The Billy Boys, The Famine Song, the UVF version of Simply the Best even The Sash which is in no way a sectarian song among many others. This proves to me that the Loyalist section of the Rangers support do listen to the Club even if they don't like it so why does everyone want to eradicate them and make Ibrox even more sterile than it has been for years?

so whos all for going rowing then?

Would that be the orange strip that the club didn't have the courage of their convictions to call orange? That one?

You clearly disagree with these songs and can't wait to nod your head in approval at anyone slating them and their place at the football.

You don't sing them,that's your right,we do,that's our right,

On your final point,it's the internet I think you're a bit too sensitive.

Im not trying to stop your right to sing songs ffs, so stop mixing it mate.

I don't care what you sing, if l don't like a song I wont sing it and don't go around telling people what to do, thats religions job :P

but thanks for your input :craphead:

so whos all for going rowing then?

Would that be the orange strip that the club didn't have the courage of their convictions to call orange? That one?

That's the one. And just because the Club didn't have the courage of its convictions doesn't mean others don't. It was orange. It was released as a 3rd strip knowing full well we wouldn't have to use it in the league and 'upset' others even though it still did and every Rangers supporter I know loved it at the time and used it as a wind up. The Club has exploited the links with Northern Ireland and the Orange Order for its own gain so those that were encouraged to support it through those links can't then be expected just to drop them and nor should they.

That's the one. And just because the Club didn't have the courage of its convictions doesn't mean others don't. It was orange. It was released as a 3rd strip knowing full well we wouldn't have to use it in the league and 'upset' others even though it still did and every Rangers supporter I know loved it at the time and used it as a wind up. The Club has exploited the links with Northern Ireland and the Orange Order for its own gain so those that were encouraged to support it through those links can't then be expected just to drop them and nor should they.

We wore it in the first league game of the season, a 0-0 draw with kilamrnock if memory serves me.

Didn't they say it was a tribute to the Dutch personnel at the club? Really exploiting those links with the OO there.

I find it amazing how many people on here want to stop Rangers fans singing songs on the basis we are being sectarian. We are THE most policed club on this very subject, yet that doesn’t seem to be enough for some people.

It amazes me how these same people would dare say anything to anyone face to face at the game, but love to do their criticising from behind a key board. I really worry for the fans going forward, we are already experiencing a lack of atmosphere due to fans not knowing what to sing.

Our clubs history is steeped in links to all sorts of protestant organisations, links to these exist in various forms throughout our fan base and are reflected in our club colours, the songs we sing and the organisations where they come from. Some may wish to change this and to a greater extent the club has indeed cleaned up its image and yet remains to be the most policed club. To my mind this reflects the bias shown against this club and the reason our fan base has rallied behind the club once more.

:ulster:

Have you missed our links with Linfield? I think you will find the common link is Brittish.

As in the United Kingdom of Great Britain ,and Northern Ireland.That is it.

We wore it in the first league game of the season, a 0-0 draw with kilamrnock if memory serves me.

Didn't they say it was a tribute to the Dutch personnel at the club? Really exploiting those links with the OO there.

And how that was a convenient excuse to hide behind considering the links the Dutch have with Protestantism as well. Going on a few of your previous posts I know you and many of the others on here are more intelligent than to think this was anything but an aggressive marketing ploy aimed more at those sections of our support being discussed in this thread.

And what is it with people who think that to be a 'real' Rangers man you have to travel all over Scotland and Europe to support them? Doesn't make you any more a supporter than those who sit in Ibrox every other Saturday singing Loyalist songs that don't or can't go to away games.

I know what you're saying but the IRA terrorised Britain for years. (YOUR COUNTRY) The likes of the loyalist paramilitaries fought back and im for one glad we had these men who took the war to the IRA and defended us.

And before dherek jumps in! im not saying its right that innocent people were killed but thats what happens in situations like this.

People might not like loyalist paras but we needed them and im glad they fought back.

http://www.grandorangelodge.co.uk/press/other_articles/cluan_place.html

When they were only fighting the IRA then fair enough, but Lochinisland, trick or treat murders were just the slaughter of civilians. Turning the guns on punters watching a game of football is abhorrent. Right up there with all the shit the IRA pulled imo.

And how that was a convenient excuse to hide behind considering the links the Dutch have with Protestantism as well. Going on a few of your previous posts I know you and many of the others on here are more intelligent than to think this was anything but an aggressive marketing ploy aimed more at those sections of our support being discussed in this thread.

And what is it with people who think that to be a 'real' Rangers man you have to travel all over Scotland and Europe to support them? Doesn't make you any more a supporter than those who sit in Ibrox every other Saturday singing Loyalist songs that don't or can't go to away games.

It doesn't. I don't. I can only make a reasonably small number of games a season due to work. My point was that you can be the 'uber-prod'. However it would be fair to say that a large number of the 'loyalist' crowd would no doubt question my credentials as a Bear as I couldn't give a monkeys fuck for the OO, the UVF, the Kirk, Luther, Calvin, Knox, the UDA or any other protestant symbolism you can think of.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is Rangers. I'd rather be having this discussion on such a, relatively, trivial subject than the one we would have been having about corporate finance at the start of 2012.

The Beatles didn't really live in a Yellow Submarine.

It doesn't. I don't. I can only make a reasonably small number of games a season due to work. My point was that you can be the 'uber-prod'. However it would be fair to say that a large number of the 'loyalist' crowd would no doubt question my credentials as a Bear as I couldn't give a monkeys fuck for the OO, the UVF, the Kirk, Luther, Calvin, Knox, the UDA or any other protestant symbolism you can think of.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is Rangers. I'd rather be having this discussion on such a, relatively, trivial subject than the one we would have been having about corporate finance at the start of 2012.

:thumbup: we'll said 100% agree

Agreed 100% but it doesn't mean others should be castigated or ostracized because they don't have the same beliefs or perspective as those who don't believe certain things shouldn't be linked to Rangers.

I don't get to many away games myself but those who question my love of Rangers because of this alone are just fools. If there are 50,000 supporters at Ibrox one week and say 3000 at a.n.other's ground the next does that mean 47,000 of us aren't 'true' Rangers supporters? Of course not and it's a ridiculous thing to suggest and only serves to show them up as the fools they are.

I still can't make sense of a supporter that ignores the clubs wishes and deliberately engages in activity that could get us into trouble. Thats not supporting the club, thats using the club. Why is it hard for some to accept that when attending a match the club must come first.

To all the politically correct, self righteous, "offended" fans on this thread.

Next time youre in Ibrox and a chorus on non Rangers songs ie. The Sash or Derrys Walls or Build My Gallows etc starts, please stand up and make yourselves known and tell everyone who is singing those "bad" songs to "Shut up, the club doesnt need or want fans like you"! We'll see what reaction you receive.

To all the politically correct, self righteous, "offended" fans on this thread.

Next time youre in Ibrox and a chorus on non Rangers songs ie. The Sash or Derrys Walls or Build My Gallows etc starts, please stand up and make yourselves known and tell everyone who is singing those "bad" songs to "Shut up, the club doesnt need or want fans like you"! We'll see what reaction you receive.

well said