Cycling Thread

Apparently this graph shows Dave Brailsford's May 2011 predictions for the career trajectories of Sky riders.

http://i6.aijaa.com/...71/12307284.jpg

Note that Chris Froome was deemed the least likely of any Sky rider to challenge for world tour podium places.

Fuck knows what all that means. :D

They get paid a wage by their teams though. A pretty damn good one in the case of the top riders.

The top riders, yes. The average wage is €190k, with 15% of them earning less than €40k. That's for the 20 UCI teams. The Pro Continental teams, the average is €60k.

They must love their sport! :D

The top riders, yes. The average wage is €190k, with 15% of them earning less than €40k. That's for the 20 UCI teams. The Pro Continental teams, the average is €60k.

They must love their sport! :D

Still, I mean, with the wage, endorsements, image righs and expenses paid, and the fact they are doing something they presumably love, I can't really see why they should be complaining. It's a hard life, but so are plenty of others, and without the glory and interesting life experiences that come with cycling. I can see why people end up doping, but it's greed rather than just needing to get by.

Just noticed Nibali is avoiding Le Tour this year. Quite disappointed after getting him at such good odds!

That was always his plan, with Astana wanting him to ride it, but I'm still hopeful that he will change his mind with Wiggins out and Contador struggling for form.

That was always his plan, with Astana wanting him to ride it, but I'm still hopeful that he will change his mind with Wiggins out and Contador struggling for form.

It does seem kind of mad not to ride it in this form. It's not like he left everything in the mountains during the Giro. Could be an annus mirabilis for him, but even if the Giro-Tour-World Championship is highly unlikely, he might never have the form (and the weakened field) to win the tour again.

"I'm expecting to have to answer questions about doping," [Froome] admitted. "But personally I'm really confident the races I've done building up to the Tour, being able to get the results that I've got, show that cycling really has changed. If people are doping it's not working – they're not winning the races any more, that's for sure.

What the fuck is that? :lol: Never heard so much shite in all my life.

"I'm expecting to have to answer questions about doping," [Froome] admitted. "But personally I'm really confident the races I've done building up to the Tour, being able to get the results that I've got, show that cycling really has changed. If people are doping it's not working – they're not winning the races any more, that's for sure.

What the fuck is that? :lol: Never heard so much shite in all my life.

He also said that he wants to win seven yellow jerseys.

Sounds like a cry for help! :D

The Interior Ministry says Spanish police have busted two gangs that imported and trafficked doping substances used in sports and arrested 84 people.

The ministry says more than 700,000 doses of anabolic steroids, the blood booster EPO and growth hormones were seized during raids in Madrid, Catalonia, Valencia, Andalusia and the Basque region, the ministry says in a statement.

During the first quarter of 2013 the gangs introduced into Spain some 750 kilograms of drugs from China, Greece and Portugal, and marketed them in sports centres and homes, Sunday's statement says.

Spain passed a new anti-doping law on June 13 that it hopes will clean up the country's tarnished image after a high-profile trial over doping in cycling. It also hopes to boost Madrid's 2020 Olympics bid.

I wonder how many of those arrested were athletes/coaches? :rolleyes: