Jim Baxter and the St Enochs hotel

Gillete

My dad was telling me that it was the place to be back in the 60's and all the rangers players headed there after games

He said that big slim would stay for a lock in and rangers paid his drinking tab every wk

Unbelievable to think of that nowadays

I will never forget that Wednesday night 1966 when Kai Johansen scored the only goal against the tattie pickers.

Walked from Hampden to St.Enoch square to wait on the team bringing the cup back to the Rangers Hotel.

Then walking up Buchanan Street, the singing that night was the best I had heard in those days.

Great memories. WATP

My dad was telling me that it was the place to be back in the 60's and all the rangers players headed there after games

He said that big slim would stay for a lock in and rangers paid his drinking tab every wk

Slim Jim was often "quoted" as saying he often put some of his bar bill under the name of Davy Wilson.

of course Scot Symon knew what was going on, but this was in an era when all players got pretty much the same wages, probably 2 to 3 times what an average working man was paid.

so this was the perks of the job of being a superstar in those days.

I know it would be a lock in ,in Hamleys biggrin.gif Used to add to the day....when the crowds would gather in St Enoch and the players would come out and show off the cup.

Ask your Dad about Henderson and Baxter at Butlins Heads of Ayr thats a better story Pat Crerand was also involved

My old man told me about "unofficial" matches played during the fair fortnight at holiday resorts like the Isle of Man or Blackpool Old Firm players would play to top up earnings. Don't know if it was true or urban myth.

One of the most outrageous, money grabbing decisions ever by glasgow council to allow that building to be demolished. Many people have told me the connection with rangers played a part in it. That might be paranoia of course.

Legend has it that it was Baxter in the St Enoch who popularised Bacardi:

I will never forget that Wednesday night 1966 when Kai Johansen scored the only goal against the tattie pickers.

Walked from Hampden to St.Enoch square to wait on the team bringing the cup back to the Rangers Hotel.

Then walking up Buchanan Street, the singing that night was the best I had heard in those days.

Great memories. WATP

My 2nd game against THEM

My 1st was the satrday before that!

Great memories. WATP

Me too, as you say great memories.

My old man told me about "unofficial" matches played during the fair fortnight at holiday resorts like the Isle of Man or Blackpool Old Firm players would play to top up earnings. Don't know if it was true or urban myth.

No I was alluding to the gambling and the girls and them being asked to leave Butlins F all to do with football in those days the press did not print these type of stories

Slim Jim used The St Enoch Hotel as his base with food, drink, a direct line to a bookies and allegedly, the odd female or 10!. All charged to Rangers account!

He used to have the late trainer Davie Kinnear frantic with apoplexy as he always managed to persuade Scot Symon to let him off training.

My favourite Baxter story is when Rangers played Fenerbache in a European tie in the 1960's at Ibrox.

Fenerbache featured the legendary Ferenc Puskas and as both teams came off the field at the end of the game, Puskas came running up to Slim, shouting

"Baxter, Baxter, whisky, jig-a-jig!"

Jim took Puskas to a party in a house in Drumchapel where Puskas got pished and got his hole!

Those were the days!

My favourite Baxter story is when Rangers played Fenerbache in a European tie in the 1960's at Ibrox.

Fenerbache featured the legendary Ferenc Puskas and as both teams came off the field at the end of the game, Puskas came running up to Slim, shouting

"Baxter, Baxter, whisky, jig-a-jig!"

Jim took Puskas to a party in a house in Drumchapel where Puskas got pished and got his hole!

Those were the days!

Was it not with Real in 63-64?