Rangers second round cup tie will go ahead at Forres Mechanics ground

LeeWallaceRFC

Rangers will travel to Forres to play the Highland League side in the Scottish Cup.

Questions had been hanging over the tie and suggestions had been made that it may be moved to Inverness Caledonia Thistle’s stadium due to the size of Forres Mechanic’s ground.

Following a meeting on Tuesday night, Mechanics officials confirmed the tie will be played at Mosset Park - which has a capacity of just under 1500.

Club secretary Dave McDonald said: “Yes we are playing the game at Mossat Park. I think it’s great that the game is going ahead at Forres and it gives our supports that go to the games every week the chance to come and see a big match.

“Rangers are drawing big crowds at the moment hopefully it will be a fantastic tie and we eventually we come out winners.

“Our ground holds 1476 and we’ll be expecting that to sell out.

“We still have to finalise the finer details with regard to the game itself. There’s been a lot of dialogue between the time the draw was made and now with the various agencies.

“It’s certainly a good financial boost for the club and the prestige of playing Rangers on your home ground. It’s a huge boost.

“It will be good day for Forres. The shopkeepers are speaking about it at the moment and looking forward to the tie and will bring business to the various shops in the town.

“It will benefit the whole town at the end of the day. Leading up the game as well as on the day.”

The tie will be played on Saturday, September 29.

http://news.stv.tv/north/187739-rangers-second-round-cup-tie-will-go-ahead-at-forres-mechanics-ground/?

Still be the right call when one of our players breaks his ankle on what is effectively a public park.

I know we all looked forward to seeing proper football again but that is just crazy.

And that's without thinking about our support.

It's far from a public park. The pitch is usually in very good condition at this time of year. You can see most of it as you pass on the A96. I haven't seen it recently but historically it has been a very good pitch.

Still be the right call when one of our players breaks his ankle on what is effectively a public park.

I know we all looked forward to seeing proper football again but that is just crazy.

And that's without thinking about our support.

The playing surface will be good...........its the grass banking around the park that will fill the A&E departments.

Particularly after a bevvy session up there.

The half hour train from Inverness can turn into a messy experience, involving much haste to get the booze finished before the pigs come on in Nairn or Forres,

The half hour train from Inverness can turn into a messy experience, involving much haste to get the booze finished before the pigs come on in Nairn or Forres,

dont know what your talking about :craphead:

Joke of a decision. If the police allow this I will be surprised.

Does anyone have any pictures of the ground?

Check it out on Google Maps, it sits right next to the A96.

I think it will be a nightmare for the Police and they will recommend it be moved.

Not even exaggerating, a clearance from the box could easily end up in one of the surrounding houses' gardens. Is Ally McCoist going to chap the door and ask for his ball back? :lol:

I can't see this being allowed to go ahead.

You do know that they are allowed to play football there, and do so regularly.

Is the ball more likely to land in a garden when we are playing?

Actually, it probably is.