McCoist's Formation Merry-Go-Round: A Case For The 4-2-3-1

bluenose_72

Rangers boss Ally McCoist has had a tough start to life in Scotland’s bottom tier. Some thought it would be a stroll, some thought it would be tougher than people would think. As it stands it is the latter who are correct. One win, two draws and three questionable performances have Rangers fans questioning whether Ally is up to the task or not.

Many of the doubts creeping in just now are the same that fans had last season. All too often team selections and tactics were called into question. But the one thing McCoist didn’t get was a good run at it. He didn’t get a good three or four months where there were no key injuries or administration to deal with!

The period between late August and late October was the only time we seen a settled side in the league. You knew exactly what the team was going to be and how we would be playing. That is what seen us storm our way to the title in the 2010-11 season. A settled side is something nearly all successful sports teams have. But early signs this season are that Ally McCoist just hasn’t found what he is looking for.

I am a big believer in playing a formation to suit the personnel at your disposal but he has played three different formations in the league games so far. From 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 to 4-4-2, they have all had their faults but it’s time for McCoist to find a formation that works best for his team. Instead of working on the tactics for a different formation every week it is surely better to work on one formation for three or four weeks especially when many of the players have never played with each other before.

It is a shame that Ally has had to do his experimenting in league or cup games but he should be starting to see a formation that suits his players the best. So let’s have a look at what does suit this current crop of players.

One thing that is glaringly missing from this squad is a natural wide player. There are no wingers in the squad so unless two or three are brought in between now and Friday’s deadline, Ally should drop the 4-4-2 he used against Berwick. It’s a formation that isn’t used anywhere near as much as what it used to especially on the continent. Many teams use their central or attacking midfielders as their many creative source rather than fast, skilful wingers. The formation most commonly used now is the 4-2-3-1 that I think would suit us with the players we currently have.

The back three that Ally seems to prefer has been criticised by fans because of how exposed they usually find themselves, but many teams who also use a back three always have a midfielder to sit in front of them. We did see this against East Stirling for most of the game and it worked after what was a less than convincing opening twenty minutes. So by using a 4-2-3-1 we should see a more solid defence with the full backs providing the width.

The two players I would play in front of the defence are Ian Black and Lewis MacLeod. Both are good on the ball and aren’t afraid to get stuck in. They would be responsible for linking the play with the three attacking midfielders who would play narrow to allow the full backs to overlap. With Black and MacLeod sitting that would take some of the defensive responsibility away from Wallace at left back and most like Argyriou at right back.

I would have Sandaza or McCulloch up front with Little, Shiels and McKay behind them. Allowing these three the creative freedom to swap positions, drop deep for the ball or to get forward and support the striker would make them difficult to mark. But the most important thing is to keep the ball on the deck. In our two away league games the most common theme has been the long ball and it just hasn’t worked. The striker either can’t win it, can’t make it stick if he does win it, or there is nobody to support.

We have a team to pass the other Division Three teams off the park, whether that is at Ibrox or on our travels. It’s time to start using our midfield and I believe the 4-2-3-1 is the best option.

After this Friday’s deadline Ally McCoist will know exactly what he to work with for the rest of the season and beyond. He has to find what suits his players the best and get some consistency because when those Rangers players take to the field we just don’t know what to expect.

http://rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=910:mccoists-formation-merrygoround&catid=100:coaching&Itemid=528

4-2-3-1 is my preffered system as this system suits the Players we have .

Its balanced, and has the ability to change quickly from attack to defence, it also allows a Free Role for our most creative Player Dean Shiels ,and would allow him to govern just in behind the main Strikers who should be Jig and Little .

that would be the formation I would play aswell but a winger is still an absolute must we can't just rely on young McKay to create everything it will burn him out if it's all upto him at only 17 years old, we need another winger to take some of the responsibility of him. That defense will never happen though unfortuntly you just know Ally will try and accomodate as many experienced players as possible he won't leave out Cribari which means he will play Perry at RB and he won't leave out McCulloch or Sandaza so I could see MacLeod dropping out to accomodate McCulloch at CM.

Good thread. I hadn't realized we had played three different formations so far.This is probably more down to the personnel at his disposal and trying to second guess who would be leaving etc than trying to outfox the opposition

that would be the formation I would play aswell but a winger is still an absolute must we can't just rely on young McKay to create everything it will burn him out if it's all upto him at only 17 years old, we need another winger to take some of the responsibility of him. That defense will never happen though unfortuntly you just know Ally will try and accomodate as many experienced players as possible he won't leave out Cribari which means he will play Perry at RB and he won't leave out McCulloch or Sandaza so I could see MacLeod dropping out to accomodate McCulloch at CM.

I hope Perry doesn't play right back, didn't like him there at all on Sunday although that was most likely down to a lack of match fitness. It will be interesting to see if McCoist will leave out certain players for the benefit of the team.

Alexander

Argyriou

Cribari

Bocanegra

Wallace

Black

McCulloch

Little

Shiels

Mckay

Sandaza

Yes McLeod has started the season greatly but i feel black = mcculloch sitting infront of the back 4 is alot more solid, but if at any stage sandaza is either unavailable or is needing dropped due to poor performances we could easily move mcculloch up top and bring mcleod in next to black

was thinking exactly this in my work yesterday

the team posted in the formation thing above is what i would go with except id have Cribari and Boca in the centre at the back (Cribari and Perry if Boca goes)

McCulloch could maybe play beside Macleod and push Black into the 3 with Shiels and McKay pushing Little up in place of Sandaza

or have McCulloch instead of Macleod now and again to save the lad a bit and take the pressure of him

also need another winger to rotate with McKay,, unfair to heap so much pressure on the youngsters

i think Wallace and Shiels being out hasnt helped, especially Wallace

We can talk tactics all day long... But, if we haven't got a philosophy of play that is fluid enough to make it work. Then it doesn't matter what tactic we line up in.

What Ally McCoist has to do is find is own footballing philosophy and then he's half way there. We really need to go right back to basics, before deciding what tactic suits us best. Cause at this moment in time... This long direct diagonal ball philosophy, makes every single tactic obsolete.

Any formation you can dream up will fail if your players cannot pass the football. When you give the ball away you put your defenders under pressure and leak goals.

We need to get back to basics in training + learn how to pass the bloody ball. We also need a winger and Little nor McKay are wingers.

Any wingers amongst our younger players??

On the subject of younger players; McKay and McLeod have both impressed when they have played. We had two others, since departed, who came though the Rangers youth system. Is there more talent out there that just need an opportunity in the first team??

Much prefer the idea of giving youth a chance than focusing too much on signing over-paid journeymen.

http://rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=910:mccoists-formation-merrygoround&catid=100:coaching&Itemid=528

Excellent topic. Have to agree on just about everything. Have always believed a strong conviction

to defense will open up the offense. Just have make sure the defensive mids stick to their responsibility.

Biggest prob the the team has had was mids werent giving defense any protection whatsover. Left mids drift

to right side with no cover. Torn between sandaza and jig upfront. Sandaza shows ability to work in space and

attack a defender 1 on 1. Jig seems more as a target who needs service and would otherwise disappear.

If we played 3,5,2 with two holding players this would provide the security we crave at the back and although little is banging them in I would still have him in midfield on the right as the two holding players would give rest of midfield much more licence to push forward. Perhaps we should try Sandaza and Jig up front as although Sandaza is a big lad he is a totally different player to Jig and would bring in the more pacey players form midfield into play ideally Shiels, McKay and Little.

Certainly should be goals in this side and the three attacking midfielders just have to work back when not in posession and may well need substituting later on injuries permitting.

The formation will need to suit McCulloch because he won't get dropped, but I like the 4-2-3-1.

We all know he wont be dropped so that would rule out this formation because he is too immobile to play the lone striker and its like playing with a man down if he's played in midfield going on Sundays performance where he spent most of the match trying to grab the Berwick midfielders shirts and not even getting within 5 yards of them.

Since he is going to play he has to be played up front in a 2 with a mobile striker like Little or Sandaza who can feed off his effective layoffs and flick ons like Aluko did at the end of last season but we can't play 4-4-2 because we have no wide midfielders.

We all know he wont be dropped so that would rule out this formation because he is too immobile to play the lone striker and its like playing with a man down if he's played in midfield going on Sundays performance where he spent most of the match trying to grab the Berwick midfielders shirts and not even getting within 5 yards of them.

Since he is going to play he has to be played up front in a 2 with a mobile striker like Little or Sandaza who can feed off his effective layoffs and flick ons like Aluko did at the end of last season but we can't play 4-4-2 because we have no wide midfielders.

So as we all have seen yet not all want to admit, Ally is trying to do the best with what players he has.

So as we all have seen yet not all want to admit, Ally is trying to do the best with what players he has.

For him to do the best with the players we have we need to drop McCulloch and play a 4-2-3-1 with Black and McLeod holding with Shiels, McKay and Little interchanging positions in behind Sandaza and most importantly keep the ball on the deck the bloody ball is a sphere designed to roll on the ground if football was meant to be played 20 yards in the air it would be shaped like missile!

For him to do the best with the players we have we need to drop McCulloch and play a 4-2-3-1 with Black and McLeod holding with Shiels, McKay and Little interchanging positions in behind Sandaza and most importantly keep the ball on the deck the bloody ball is a sphere designed to roll on the ground if football was meant to be played 20 yards in the air it would be shaped like missile!

Not saying you are wrong with the first part, but i dont see Ally dropping McCulloch. Ally values loyalty and it would make

it difficult to drop him. What makes him right for the job could somtimes be his weakness.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist has had a tough start to life in Scotland’s bottom tier. Some thought it would be a stroll, some thought it would be tougher than people would think. As it stands it is the latter who are correct. One win, two draws and three questionable performances have Rangers fans questioning whether Ally is up to the task or not.

Many of the doubts creeping in just now are the same that fans had last season. All too often team selections and tactics were called into question. But the one thing McCoist didn’t get was a good run at it. He didn’t get a good three or four months where there were no key injuries or administration to deal with!

The period between late August and late October was the only time we seen a settled side in the league. You knew exactly what the team was going to be and how we would be playing. That is what seen us storm our way to the title in the 2010-11 season. A settled side is something nearly all successful sports teams have. But early signs this season are that Ally McCoist just hasn’t found what he is looking for.

I am a big believer in playing a formation to suit the personnel at your disposal but he has played three different formations in the league games so far. From 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 to 4-4-2, they have all had their faults but it’s time for McCoist to find a formation that works best for his team. Instead of working on the tactics for a different formation every week it is surely better to work on one formation for three or four weeks especially when many of the players have never played with each other before.

It is a shame that Ally has had to do his experimenting in league or cup games but he should be starting to see a formation that suits his players the best. So let’s have a look at what does suit this current crop of players.

One thing that is glaringly missing from this squad is a natural wide player. There are no wingers in the squad so unless two or three are brought in between now and Friday’s deadline, Ally should drop the 4-4-2 he used against Berwick. It’s a formation that isn’t used anywhere near as much as what it used to especially on the continent. Many teams use their central or attacking midfielders as their many creative source rather than fast, skilful wingers. The formation most commonly used now is the 4-2-3-1 that I think would suit us with the players we currently have.

The back three that Ally seems to prefer has been criticised by fans because of how exposed they usually find themselves, but many teams who also use a back three always have a midfielder to sit in front of them. We did see this against East Stirling for most of the game and it worked after what was a less than convincing opening twenty minutes. So by using a 4-2-3-1 we should see a more solid defence with the full backs providing the width.

The two players I would play in front of the defence are Ian Black and Lewis MacLeod. Both are good on the ball and aren’t afraid to get stuck in. They would be responsible for linking the play with the three attacking midfielders who would play narrow to allow the full backs to overlap. With Black and MacLeod sitting that would take some of the defensive responsibility away from Wallace at left back and most like Argyriou at right back.

I would have Sandaza or McCulloch up front with Little, Shiels and McKay behind them. Allowing these three the creative freedom to swap positions, drop deep for the ball or to get forward and support the striker would make them difficult to mark. But the most important thing is to keep the ball on the deck. In our two away league games the most common theme has been the long ball and it just hasn’t worked. The striker either can’t win it, can’t make it stick if he does win it, or there is nobody to support.

We have a team to pass the other Division Three teams off the park, whether that is at Ibrox or on our travels. It’s time to start using our midfield and I believe the 4-2-3-1 is the best option.

After this Friday’s deadline Ally McCoist will know exactly what he to work with for the rest of the season and beyond. He has to find what suits his players the best and get some consistency because when those Rangers players take to the field we just don’t know what to expect.

Has Ally been on here today?

Mentioned a 4-2-3-1 a few days ago. Someone tried telling me its same as 4-3-3.

Any how looks to be doing the biz tonight

It's just a different variation of the 4-3-3, but I prefer the 4-2-3-1. So many teams on the continent use it now.