McCoist The Man & McCoist The Manager

JCS

There have been many articles produced about Ally McCoist this weekend following that horrific result against Stirling on Saturday.

My article (link below) is an attempt to bring some balance to the arguments for and against Ally that are currently 'raging' not only on RM but across all of the main sites.

Disappointed as I undoubtedly am with the way things have developed this season, I fervently believe that Ally should be given more time to put things right, although I fully acknowledge, that football being the business it is, he may not be given that time.

http://www.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=986:mccoist-the-manager&catid=100:coaching&Itemid=528

There have been many articles produced about Ally McCoist this weekend following that horrific result against Stirling on Saturday.

My article (link below) is an attempt to bring some balance to the arguments for and against Ally that are currently 'raging' not only on RM but across all of the main sites.

Disappointed as I undoubtedly am with the way things have developed this season, I fervently believe that Ally should be given more time to put things right, although I fully acknowledge, that football being the business it is, he may not be given that time.

http://www.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=986:mccoist-the-manager&catid=100:coaching&Itemid=528

No offence but if the summary of your piece is, "Ally needs more time", I won't be reading it.

Had you said, "Ally needs more preparation" or Ally needs more ideas", I would have read with interest.

Good Article:

Agreed - Ally needs time - our squad is small and there are a LOT of young players having to carry a lot of expectation on their shoulders (and its not as if we can refresh the squad in January).

We all want these young players to go on and become greats for the club but one think I have noticed about our fan base is its impatience with youth.

Ally has a target in stages - its quite simple - Ally has to get back to back league wins and take us back to the top league - and 'blip' in this along the way and I don't think our support would accept this.

So first stage Ally has to win this league - we have a squad that only came together at the end of August, where the more experienced players are few on the ground and a good number of them had or been out with injuries so we have to look to the youngsters - and they look like a bunch with great potential - but potential that takes time to develop and that is time we do not have - but Ally has to carry that burden as well - and I think he is doing it well - he is taking the pressure upon himself and protecting the team (another admirable managerial quality).

No manis bigger than the club, andAlly would agree with that, but given the changes in squad, the introduction of so much youth, and only 7 games into a 36 game league, now is hardly the time to be panicking about the future and that is what a change of manager would be at this time- a panic measure.

Good Article:

Agreed - Ally needs time -

Sorry, that's where I stopped reading - again.

How much time does Ally McCoist need to see there's more to football managment than picking eleven names and standing statuesque on the touchline trying not to yawn?

Ally is the manager and the buck stops there but what about the other two Durrant an McDowell what the fuck is their funtion in this someone on here put itas well as i have ever heard it described a couple of traffic cones.

Durranty and McDowell are getting away with murder as well at times.

A better article title would be Ally the player and Ally the manager. People seem to have issues separating Ally the clinical 1992-1993 European striker and Ally the struggling manager in 2012 who hasn't achieved an away win in a part-time league by October.

A better article title would be Ally the player and Ally the manager. People seem to have issues separating Ally the clinical 1992-1993 European striker and Ally the struggling manager in 2012 who hasn't achieved an away win in a part-time league by October.

All vaild points but I still believe our the Management team will turn this around, personally speaking I think Ally himself will step aside if he thought he could not achieve our goals. Which is to win the league.

Good Article:

Agreed - Ally needs time - our squad is small and there are a LOT of young players having to carry a lot of expectation on their shoulders (and its not as if we can refresh the squad in January).

We all want these young players to go on and become greats for the club but one think I have noticed about our fan base is its impatience with youth.

Ally has a target in stages - its quite simple - Ally has to get back to back league wins and take us back to the top league - and 'blip' in this along the way and I don't think our support would accept this.

So first stage Ally has to win this league - we have a squad that only came together at the end of August, where the more experienced players are few on the ground and a good number of them had or been out with injuries so we have to look to the youngsters - and they look like a bunch with great potential - but potential that takes time to develop and that is time we do not have - but Ally has to carry that burden as well - and I think he is doing it well - he is taking the pressure upon himself and protecting the team (another admirable managerial quality).

No manis bigger than the club, andAlly would agree with that, but given the changes in squad, the introduction of so much youth, and only 7 games into a 36 game league, now is hardly the time to be panicking about the future and that is what a change of manager would be at this time- a panic measure.

I have to agree; although I did not think that Ally was the right man for the job and doubted, and still doubt whether he could change from being one of the boys as assistant to a respected authority figure, he has to be given time.

What I would say is that the youngsters he has been forced to bring through are not a problem,everyone accepts that there will be inconsistent performances. It is the older experienced players who are not performing consistently; some we have seen in the spl should be starring and performing a long way above their opposition. The new arrivals from abroad unfortunately do not look as if there is any improvement to look forward to and might join the list of dud signings which have arrived and left in the last 15 months.

Again the onus will be more on youth and a change of manager will create uncertainty and could hinder their development. The club has found itself in a place which has given the opportunity to make a serious change and the chance to develop our youngsters into a team and keep that process going as well as letting our manager develop his style of management and make his mistakes as all managers do.

It is unfortunate that even in the lowest division our media profile is higher than any other club in the land.As fans we have to grit our teeth; we cannot now buy success so it will have to be done with what we have including the manager.

I have to agree; although I did not think that Ally was the right man for the job and doubted, and still doubt whether he could change from being one of the boys as assistant to a respected authority figure, he has to be given time.

What I would say is that the youngsters he has been forced to bring through are not a problem,everyone accepts that there will be inconsistent performances. It is the older experienced players who are not performing consistently; some we have seen in the spl should be starring and performing a long way above their opposition. The new arrivals from abroad unfortunately do not look as if there is any improvement to look forward to and might join the list of dud signings which have arrived and left in the last 15 months.

Again the onus will be more on youth and a change of manager will create uncertainty and could hinder their development. The club has found itself in a place which has given the opportunity to make a serious change and the chance to develop our youngsters into a team and keep that process going as well as letting our manager develop his style of management and make his mistakes as all managers do.

It is unfortunate that even in the lowest division our media profile is higher than any other club in the land.As fans we have to grit our teeth; we cannot now buy success so it will have to be done with what we have including the manager.

I agree with the additional points you make here - only problem with the senior player 'starring' is that they are not working in a team of peers as there are so many inexperienced players and they will also have to get used to both the expectations of playing for Rangers and the fact they need to lead as well - Ian Black is an example - I think his form is short of where we expect it to be- but it takes time for a team to develop and I am sure his form will return, he will get used to the players around him and he will start to dominate teams (if he is not clattered out through injury).

Team work - which is essential - does take time to develop and we are working with new players all round but I have no doubt that the team element will work. So while results like Sat are tough to take, as you say we just have to man up, get behind the management and team and know that it will come.

Alternatively, the view could (should?) be taken that Ally's had plenty of time to adapt his tactical approach to games but has singularly failed to do so.

As such, giving him more time will achieve nothing other than more absurd team selections, poor performances and humiliating results.

I dispute this overused line that Ally must be given time. I say he's had his time and now it's time for something/someone else.

I personally don't think that is the issue separating Ally the player from the manager. It's all to do with that spat between Ally and Lennon at Celtic park a few years ago. It's just down to bragging rights. (Goldfish bowl mentally) Pure and simple.

All vaild points but I still believe our the Management team will turn this around, personally speaking I think Ally himself will step aside if he thought he could not achieve our goals. Which is to win the league.

Anyone from this forum would be capable of winning this part time league with McCoist's resources. That's only a very small part of our goals, the overall goal is to get Rangers back to the very top of Scottish football and doing well in Europe.

It would be a disgrace if we were to only win the league by a last day scrap with Queens Park for example, how the hell could we even have faith in winning SFL2 and 1 after that or similar?

Reply by Captainofindustry

Sorry, that's where I stop reading every time. Same old anti- Ally.

I'm unashamedly, unapologetically anti-failure. The identity of the Rangers manager is of complete indifference to me, as long as the players don't consistently under-achieve. With Ally McCoist as manager, the players do nothing but under-achieve. Therefore, I'm unreservedly anti-Ally as manager.

I don't suppose you read any of that. Fine by me, you keep your head in the sand as long as you like.

If Ally goes, then another managers comes in to a squad he did not pick and can’t change. He will need to replace the coaching staff to people he knows and trusts, he will need to start winning right away and the expectation on him would be immense. He would need to get to know the players and learn about the league he is in. he would need to look at the players best positions. He would need to deal with those players who are unsure about Ally leaving as he chose them to come and what does the new guy think of me.

It would be another major change that would put us back to square one, do we want that—no. We want the team to win and play with style, another upheaval would not help that. What would we do if the results continued along the same vain, sack him and get another manager? This is a time for sanity not wanting to change things in the hope they will turn around, as the more we change things the more we increase the risk of us becoming even more inconsistent. Everyone, including us needs to adjust to the new situation and get rid of false expectations, this league will be tough and not pretty but we will win it. We will need to get used to the idea of the type of tackles in this league and so will the players and manager, the poor standard of refereeing and the opposition who want to leave their mark on us. The players need to work out it is a battle first football second that they are dealing with and go for it.

I dont see how someone can have their managerial abilities written off after one year of being a manager. Fine, things are not great, and I might even be persuaded to admit that Ally isn't up to the task. But I wont be drawn into making the mistake of writing the man off as a manager completely. Maybe its too early for Ally, maybe its too big a job. Maybe its both of those things. Or maybe we should all just chill out and realise that he's here, he's got the job and we, as a club, with Ally as the manager; grow together with our support rather than making the mans job harder than it already is by hounding him out after less than a third of the season gone.

Maybe.

I really struggle to believe that those calling for Ally to leave/get sacked are truly supporters of our club. Sound more like glory hunters to me.

Remember Struth's words:

"Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers."