Dubai-linked football club with $7bn.

54andcounting

Dubai-linked football club eyes London listing

ARTICLEPHOTOS

By Andy Sambidge

Saturday, 13 October 2012 11:44 AM

Scottish football club Rangers, in which Dubai businessman Arif Naqvi is the biggest shareholder, has announced its intention to list on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange.

Rangers said it intends to raise up to £20m through an institutional investor placing and limited public offering.

Arif Naqvi, chief executive and founder of private equity firm Abraaj Capital owns just under 18 percent in the club which went into liquidation during the summer.

Naqvi is said to have invested £2m in the club in June.

The funds by the listing will be used for strengthening the player squad, improving and developing the club’s properties and facilities, as well as providing additional working capital.

It is anticipated that listing will become effective before the end of the year, Rangers said in a statement.

Since its formation in 1872, The Rangers Football Club has become one of the world’s most successful clubs, having won 54 League titles, 33 Scottish Cups, 27 League Cups and the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1972.

Charles Green, chief executive of Rangers, said: “From the time we acquired the business and assets of Rangers FC, we indicated our intention to list the company and provide our fans with the opportunity to invest in their club. I am delighted that our plans are coming to fruition.

“Rangers is debt-free and a huge club with enormous support and a 140 year track record of success on the domestic and international arenas. Our aim is to return the club to its glory days whilst ensuring it is run efficiently and profitably.”

Rangers, who have dominated soccer in Scotland with Glasgow rivals Celtic for decades, were forced to relaunch this season from the lowly fourth tier of the game following their financial crisis.

The decision represented a spectacular fall from grace for the 54-times Scottish champions.

Rangers went into administration in February before a takeover last month by a consortium led by English businessman Charles Green.

Naqvi, who founded Abraaj in 2002 and has raised $7bn since then, said in March he believes an IPO will provide the company with a currency to continue to grow.

Dubai-based Abraaj Capital, the Middle East's largest private equity firm, owns stakes in Orascom Construction, budget carrier Air Arabia and supermarket chain Spinneys.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-linked-football-club-eyes-london-listing-476163.html?

Hope our biggest shareholder will encourage his mates to invest! :sherlock:

Shocking that this is what we have come to, relying on these guys for a bob or two.

Murray, Whyte and anyone else involved should hang their heads in fucking shame.

Murray has no shame - never has had - and Whyte wouldn't recognise it if it came up to him and slapped him on the fucking jaw.

I'm hoping the Courts of Law will deal with both in the fullness of time.

Shocking that this is what we have come to, relying on these guys for a bob or two.

Murray, Whyte and anyone else involved should hang their heads in fucking shame.

Everybody better get their finger out and buy the shares then so the fans will always have a say in what goes on .

18 percent.

whilst i have no concerns over this, i thought the most one person could get was 15% for original investors and 10% for anyone after?

original shareholders stake will be diluted by public sale of shares. (tu)

This.

If any of the current shareholders wish to maintain there shareholding percentage they will also have to invest in the IPO.

Anyway, I wouldn't say a guy with $7bn - or whatever the story is - owning 20% of our Club is an alarm ringing situation :lol::P

This.

If any of the current shareholders wish to maintain there shareholding percentage they will also have to invest in the IPO.

Anyway, I wouldn't say a guy with $7bn - or whatever the story is - owning 20% of our Club is an alarm ringing situation :lol::P

haha as i said, no concerns. but thanks for clearing this up :)

Dubai-linked football club eyes London listing

ARTICLEPHOTOS

By Andy Sambidge

Saturday, 13 October 2012 11:44 AM

Scottish football club Rangers, in which Dubai businessman Arif Naqvi is the biggest shareholder, has announced its intention to list on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange.

Rangers said it intends to raise up to £20m through an institutional investor placing and limited public offering.

Arif Naqvi, chief executive and founder of private equity firm Abraaj Capital owns just under 18 percent in the club which went into liquidation during the summer.

Naqvi is said to have invested £2m in the club in June.

The funds by the listing will be used for strengthening the player squad, improving and developing the club's properties and facilities, as well as providing additional working capital.

It is anticipated that listing will become effective before the end of the year, Rangers said in a statement.

Since its formation in 1872, The Rangers Football Club has become one of the world's most successful clubs, having won 54 League titles, 33 Scottish Cups, 27 League Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972.

Charles Green, chief executive of Rangers, said: "From the time we acquired the business and assets of Rangers FC, we indicated our intention to list the company and provide our fans with the opportunity to invest in their club. I am delighted that our plans are coming to fruition.

"Rangers is debt-free and a huge club with enormous support and a 140 year track record of success on the domestic and international arenas. Our aim is to return the club to its glory days whilst ensuring it is run efficiently and profitably."

Rangers, who have dominated soccer in Scotland with Glasgow rivals Celtic for decades, were forced to relaunch this season from the lowly fourth tier of the game following their financial crisis.

The decision represented a spectacular fall from grace for the 54-times Scottish champions.

Rangers went into administration in February before a takeover last month by a consortium led by English businessman Charles Green.

Naqvi, who founded Abraaj in 2002 and has raised $7bn since then, said in March he believes an IPO will provide the company with a currency to continue to grow.

Dubai-based Abraaj Capital, the Middle East's largest private equity firm, owns stakes in Orascom Construction, budget carrier Air Arabia and supermarket chain Spinneys.

http://www.arabianbu...ng-476163.html?

Hope our biggest shareholder will encourage his mates to invest! :sherlock:

Maybe he could give us a billion just to start off with. 10310.gif

For me there are two top important things about the share issue. 1 - I hope that as many Rangers fans as possible buy the shares. We are Rangers after all and it is our club. We own the history, legacy, and future of the club and all that Rangers is and all that Rangers stands for. 2 - I hope it raises a huge amount of money for the club. I think that a combination of a very healthy balance sheet and a well managed club with vision and ambition and massive loyal support would be powerful influences at the tables where league / eurpopean football reconstruction are discussed. Add to this the benefit of a strong cash reserves to pay for and retain the very best players and coaches and it lays the foundation for getting back to the very top.