Rangers Supporters Assembly donating to Glasgow City Council Famine Memorial

paisleyroad

Put this in here as it's the RSA speaking on behalf of Rangers fans.

GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL FAMINE MEMORIAL

The Rangers Supporters Assembly expressed their support for the decision by Glasgow City Council to form a working group to consider a proposal to erect a Famine Memorial in recognition of the great contribution made by the city in welcoming the victims of famine.

President Andy Kerr said “We wholeheartedly express our support for the proposed Famine Memori

al in Glasgow and the recent Glasgow City Council decision to give their backing to the project should be applauded. We would like to take this opportunity not just to express our support in words - we also undertake to make a donation towards the cost of the memorial.

The Irish Famine was a terrible tragedy for the whole of that island and also had an effect in the north of Scotland. It did not discriminate on the grounds of gender, age or religion and we think it is absolutely fitting that a memorial remembers those who suffered as a result.

Rangers have a large and loyal following from Northern Ireland and many of their ancestors were affected by the famine. Irish migration to the city has helped to shape it and we hope that the memorial will serve not only as a reminder of the migration caused by the famine -

and the welcome shown to those who settled in Scotland as a result - but also as recognition of wider Irish migration to the city.

This memorial will have particular relevance to our fans in Ulster and “Rangers ‘Til I Die Northern Ireland (RTIDNI)” have given their full backing to the project.

This memorial has the chance to represent the entire Irish community in Glasgow and we hope that is what it will do. Details of a donation from the Rangers fans will be made available once Glasgow City Council forms their working group and details of the proposed memorial are released.”

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what to make of this...........on one hand, we have the city council wanting to remove all statues from George Sq and on the other wanting to mark the subject of this thread.

Have to say I will not be donating to this.............have made my mind up then :ohmy:

I am not against it at all, there were many on our side that perished also and a memorial for all that died i would not be opposed to . . . . what i don't like is the fact it will be hijacked and used as a republican memorial no doubt, which is very, very sad indeed.

I am not against it at all, there were many on our side that perished also and a memorial for all that died i would not be opposed to . . . . what i don't like is the fact it will be hijacked and used as a republican memorial no doubt, which is very, very sad indeed.

My thoughts entirely, if we don't stand up now it will as you stated be a shrine to Anti-British sentiment and a Mecca for Republican activity - the Republican bands will use it as a legitimate excuse for their terrorist parades. Good move by the RSA, i'm sure RTIDNI have done similar and the Ulster Scots societies will be doing so soon.

As far as I am aware the Famine memorial statue is not going in George Square, It is being placed on the Clydeside where the Irish landed.

Make no mistake about this, Vermin like Mac Gorilla Brain will be spewing about the support given to this project from The Rangers / Unionist / Protestant community.

They want to hijack this and use it as an anti British, RC, Republican, Celtic icon, Wouldn't it be great if a band like Greengairs Thistle played at the unveiling of the memorial.

My Grandmother's side came to Scotland from Southern Ireland due to the famine and my Grandfather's side from Scotland. They met , they fell in love. They taught me that tragedy does not take into account your religion or nationality at that moment. It won't save you. Me? I am as proud a Rangers supporter as anyone and will be RTID as i was the day i was born. I know there are so many in the same mould. Avoiding the hi-jacking of such a memorial is important.

My Grandmother's side came to Scotland from Southern Ireland due to the famine and my Grandfather's side from Scotland. They met , they fell in love. They taught me that tragedy does not take into account your religion or nationality at that moment. It won't save you. Me? I am as proud a Rangers supporter as anyone and will be RTID as i was the day i was born. I know there are so many in the same mould. Avoiding the hi-jacking of such a memorial is important.

Sir, some very fine and sensible words there. I take my hat off to you.

"The Irish Famine was a terrible tragedy for the whole of that island and also had an effect in the north of Scotland. It did not discriminate on the grounds of gender, age or religion and we think it is absolutely fitting that a memorial remembers those who suffered as a result."

Fine lets have a memorial to the Scots who died, I'm sure there is enough space in Ireland to remember their own. There are times I feel that there are those on both sides of the Irish community who came here forget this is Scotland, not Ireland. Having said that, I suspect that this has more to do with the GCC/Labour who also tend to forget that there are two religious sides to that community and seem to operate with little regard for the ones who owe their allegiance to the union.

So are we going to have a statue for the highland clearances since that actually happened here?

We have one up near Dornoch. :7325:

The Duke of Cumberland sitting on top of a hill really noises up the Jacobites too.

Don't know what to make of this...........on one hand, we have the city council wanting to remove all statues from George Sq and on the other wanting to mark the subject of this thread.

Have to say I will not be donating to this.............have made my mind up then :ohmy:

YES YES YES YES

It will become a cafflic shrine for the chip on shouldered :anguish:

Not if we make it ours.

If it was in George Square, I'd make a point of laying a red,white & blue wreath there, everytime I took the train down to Ibrox.