Vanguard Bears - just who are they?

charlotte1008

I've already quoted The Rangers Standard as an excellent weapon. Many excellent articles defending the club and the fans against the likes of Tomo, Phil, the BBC and the rest of the list. There are some brilliant articles on it, with very little alluding to politics or religion. With some work and some tweaks, and with a bit more publicity, I think The Rangers Standard is a brilliant platform to build the defence of our club on.

Ok, what have they actually achieved?

It is nothing to do with elitism, that is what we have always been about, and i am much older than most. In my younger days that is the way we were brought up, to support our team Culture and Traditions, and nothing has changed.

the whole world has changed since you were a boy :P

kidding aside, maybe my choice of word was wrong, but the tone of your post just annoyed me for some reason mate.

Ok, what have they actually achieved?

I described it as an excellent platform and a good idea that can be built on. Right now, they are mainly based around articles which have exposed the likes of Thomson's blog as nonsense, and challenged stereotypical views which I can relate to. I see they also have a petition for a Rangers museum which I have signed and hope that it leads somewhere.

The site is only a few months old, but I believe it has great potential.

I've already quoted The Rangers Standard as an excellent weapon. Many excellent articles defending the club and the fans against the likes of Tomo, Phil, the BBC and the rest of the list. There are some brilliant articles on it, with very little alluding to politics or religion. With some work and some tweaks, and with a bit more publicity, I think The Rangers Standard is a brilliant platform to build the defence of our club on.

The more platforms the better Gaz but when you are arguing against the one which decides to include our history and culture then you come across as a bit of a hypocrite. If you want to defend the footballing side of our club and only that, power to you.

But most of us can see that the attack is not just about football.

I described it as an excellent platform and a good idea that can be built on. Right now, they are mainly based around articles which have exposed the likes of Thomson's blog as nonsense, and challenged stereotypical views which I can relate to. I see they also have a petition for a Rangers museum which I have signed and hope that it leads somewhere.

The site is only a few months old, but I believe it has great potential.

Ah, and its all inclusive so good? ;) Some talented writers, but, they pick and choose what they challenge, and dont really shake up the status quo or anything too meaty. Thomson was exposed as nonsense before TRS came into existence I believe, through the happy medium of twitter amongst others.

Come on, booler, you're better than that mate. Anyone could pick posts from either side of this debate that don't show posters in a good light or show baiting, snidey digs, lack of decent discussion. Apart from that, that was posted in a different thread, since when TWB has said he'll contribute constructively or not at all. This thread is in the main a big improvement, with some decent discussion in it. Let's try to keep it that way.

Fair enough. let's just hope it comes to pass.

How/Why is the club suffering from the political/religious aspect? In your opinion. Not a trick question.

Apathy is a good word, and frustrating, however, hardly an attack from within.

This most dont want it thing? Care to elaborate?

I believe the club suffered from the political/religious aspect during the newco saga. I don't believe the majority within the SPL Chairman thought it was right to remove Rangers from the SPL. However given the blood thirsty press and the campaigning by those with a hatred of Rangers, we suffered from being kicked out and entering at the bottom tier.

I mean that VB members who come across those of us that are not overly political nor have a huge religious attachment often disagree with a focus approach that VB put forward, and I feel from this thread that it appears as tho VB take that as an attack, when in fact it's just apathy and not wanting to get involved, or feel that we all need to stand behind something we don't necessarily agree with (although have sympathy towards)

Given neither you nor I have any clear statistics on the numbers who are active Protestants (i.e. more than a label given by a heritage) it would be pointless to debate it. However I would put forward the majority of Rangers fans come from Protestant backgrounds while not being Protestant themselves and dislike the overt Catholic agenda in Scotland. If I'm correct then most would prefer to just support Rangers and leave the religious conflict out of it.

Why is the term Unionist aultomaticlly associated with Protestantism or being a protestant?

I am a unionist, I beleive wholeheartedly in the strength of the union i.e. Stronger together, I also happen to be a Protestant (by birth ... not by practice) but I know many catholic people who also beielve in the union, with as much commitment as I do.

Nothing to do with VB but the terms are always associated when discussions about the Rangers support crop up and it annoys me.

Aah OK. So you're not including my friend, who's a catholic and ST holder?

The description I included was what the VB lean towards, I don't know what you're accusing me of not including your friend in.

Why is the term Unionist aultomaticlly associated with Protestantism or being a protestant?

I am a unionist, I beleive wholeheartedly in the strength of the union i.e. Stronger together, I also happen to be a Protestant (by birth ... not by practice) but I know many catholic people who also beielve in the union, with as much commitment as I do.

Nothing to do with VB but the terms are always associated when discussions about the Rangers support crop up and it annoys me.

I believe the Catholic resentment to the Union is because of the Act of Settlement requires Protestant heirs. Many don't bother with it, but those of a certain slant, obsess on it.

the whole world has changed since you were a boy :P

kidding aside, maybe my choice of word was wrong, but the tone of your post just annoyed me for some reason mate.

Gogzy it was not meant to annoy you, and as you say the whole world has changed since i was a boy. And may i say in my opinion not for the better, but that is for another thread. :)

I believe the Catholic resentment to the Union is because of the Act of Settlement requires Protestant heirs. Many don't bother with it, but those of a certain slant, obsess on it.

Ahh, I forgot about that .. ta!!

Still, many of my friends are as staunchly unionist as I but not of my religion ... each to thier own I imagine.

There certainly is.

Out of interest, would you describe the following post by TWB as "decent discussion".....................................

"VB's motives are essentially the same as their motives. Yes, the shareholders probably are part of a lunatic fringe, what does that say about VB"?

Different thread - I said later on in the very same thread that I'd only offer constructive criticism when needed, which I feel I've done in this thread. Nice try, though

Gogzy it was not meant to annoy you, and as you say the whole world has changed since i was a boy. And may i say in my opinion not for the better, but that is for another thread. :)

:) different outlooks and diversity is a good thing mate.

Your use of the word defined is interesting here, and irrelevant, as thats not the case. What you are discussing is how others define us, which is the crux of the matter. YOU have completely different views, yet, your club is under attack, as are you, as are all of us, regardless of whether you agree or not, its simply happening. Quite clearly, someone elses politics or religious views dont matter, in relation to anything VB does. A bear is a bear. The people going on more and more about politics/religion, are the likes of yourself. Have said many times, those who are anti-something are generally louder and feel the need to bring it up all the time.

For membership, as Zzed said above, perhaps thats a different story,and rightly so. every group/club can have its own membership criteria.

ZZed took the position we HAVE to be in the PUL camp BECAUSE thats how others see us.

I doubt you take any stance because OTHERS Think that is what you are like and thus you have to conform - ZZed position was just basic nonsence.

Also the OP, in trying to big up the VB work dragged all the PUL stuff into the association with the club - you know my position on that ! (and I know yours - in brooad terms)

VB can have any criteria they want for their wee McArthuresque clique but when they come out into the big wide world believing that everyone should take their position because the VB do they should not be that shocked if some disagree.

It is nothing to do with elitism, that is what we have always been about, and i am much older than most. In my younger days that is the way we were brought up, to support our team Culture and Traditions, and nothing has changed.

Nothing has changed EXCEPT the kirk is nearly dead - through a lack of belief (and that goes for most religions in the Western World) - many things have changed over your time - I know you don't want or embrace the change - but at least acknowledge that things do change.

Nothing has changed EXCEPT the kirk is nearly dead - through a lack of belief (and that goes for most religions in the Western World) - many things have changed over your time - I know you don't want or embrace the change - but at least acknowledge that things do change.

One thing that has changed is our club, and not for the better.