Supporting Rangers

This topic sorta shows your age. Pick out your best times and the best style of play you've seen Rangers play.

For me it was early 90s with Walter smith was winning and had the pick of 3 foreigners and was ONE goal away from the European cup final.

Dick Advocat had a great side and really underachieved in europe with the squad he had but FUCK ME could his team play football. quality running right thro the team.

Manchester under walter will be the best ever day for me.

WATP

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic sorta shows your age. Pick out your best times and the best style of play you've seen Rangers play.

For me it was early 90s with Walter smith was winning and had the pick of 3 foreigners and was ONE goal away from the European cup final.

Dick Advocat had a great side and really underachieved in europe with the squad he had but FUCK ME could his team play football. quality running right thro the team.

WATP

That's fair comment......for me as a boy in the 60s and seeing the rangers team of Scot Symon.........Ritchie , Shearer , Caldow the names trip off the tongue and to see the likes of Real Madrid and Inter Milan (not the poor shell of the team that the immigrants got the breaks against) European football had a ring to it then as these teams were magical, by that I mean you didn't get them on the tv three times a week and when Eintracht hammered us in the semi, you could not believe that the game at Hampden in the final would be so magical.....I mean score three goals oin a final and lose 7-3 .

That one season with John Greig lost the league in a game when a draw would have clinched the treble and the run in Europe.........Eindhoven out Juventus out and just losing by a goal to Cologne.

I have been very lucky in that I have been to three of the four European Finals.........first truth be told can't recall that much about it..............Barcelona having to give up my job as could not get a week off, but that week in Lloret del mar and the game will never leave me..............Manchester was such a bolt from the blue to get there and the crowd will be the everlasting memory ..............67 in Nuremberg was a no go for me as my dad would not take me , becasue the game was in Nuremberg and he only managed to get away before the Allies took the city.............he swears that he only drove a van round the woods.

The excitement of big Jock taking us to the trebles and then when Souness walked in through the doors and changed our club and as you mention Walters golden team , that night against the Russians at Ibrox and the chances missed aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Dick the Dutchman and the players we witnessed and the way we played superb.

So basically every manager has left a memory of something good...even PLG the way he tried to get us to play, we win in Italy and the style of play in Europe was good, even got Charlie Adams slimmed down and made him a central midfielder, =but in Scotland he struggled, although Barry according to many was not helpful to his manager.

Ally the jury is out but from these eyes I have seen nothing on the field so far that ..............................

That's fair comment......for me as a boy in the 60s and seeing the rangers team of Scot Symon.........Ritchie , Shearer , Caldow the names trip off the tongue and to see the likes of Real Madrid and Inter Milan (not the poor shell of the team that the immigrants got the breaks against) European football had a ring to it then as these teams were magical, by that I mean you didn't get them on the tv three times a week and when Eintracht hammered us in the semi, you could not believe that the game at Hampden in the final would be so magical.....I mean score three goals oin a final and lose 7-3 .

That one season with John Greig lost the league in a game when a draw would have clinched the treble and the run in Europe.........Eindhoven out Juventus out and just losing by a goal to Cologne.

I have been very lucky in that I have been to three of the four European Finals.........first truth be told can't recall that much about it..............Barcelona having to give up my job as could not get a week off, but that week in Lloret del mar and the game will never leave me..............Manchester was such a bolt from the blue to get there and the crowd will be the everlasting memory ..............67 in Nuremberg was a no go for me as my dad would not take me , becasue the game was in Nuremberg and he only managed to get away before the Allies took the city.............he swears that he only drove a van round the woods.

The excitement of big Jock taking us to the trebles and then when Souness walked in through the doors and changed our club and as you mention Walters golden team , that night against the Russians at Ibrox and the chances missed aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Dick the Dutchman and the players we witnessed and the way we played superb.

So basically every manager has left a memory of something good...even PLG the way he tried to get us to play, we win in Italy and the style of play in Europe was good, even got Charlie Adams slimmed down and made him a central midfielder, =but in Scotland he struggled, although Barry according to many was not helpful to his manager.

Ally the jury is out but from these eyes I have seen nothing on the field so far that ..............................

I can just about Remember Jock Wallace being charge mate, It was my dad who got me involved in Rangers. He was a Scots solider who served in Belfast and i was brought up over here. I used to come in on a sat and ask my dad what he was listening to? and it was Rangers on the radio when Jock Wallace was in charge. I remember him buying me a birthday present. It was a Rangers kit with no sponsor and big massive collars with a pair of football boots with about 20 studs in each boot. :lol: That was me hooked.

In Advocaat's 2nd season we had a really good football playing side. Would have strongly fancied us against any British club and most from the continent that year. I'd waited a long time to see a Rangers team that could outplay or compete with big european sides like Munich. It's the level Rangers should be playing at and would be if we played in a better league.

So probably the best in my time.

92/93 was also good right enough

Ed really covers our most flamboyant period in our History for me personally.

The 60,s where an exciting period .

We had a great Team playing wonderful Football with Two wonderfull Wingers ,and a midfield Mystro who played keepy up with the World Champions.

I loved those European nights with 80,000 Bears inside Ibrox.

Scottish Football was at its peak ,and Rangers where leading us with Two European Finals.

I loved the way we played back then

Our players had skill that was jaw dropping, and they could do wonders with the Ball.

Yes the 60,s with Scott Symon in charge where by far the best Rangers Team I have seen.

I can just about Remember Jock Wallace being charge mate, It was my dad who got me involved in Rangers. He was a Scots solider who served in Belfast and i was brought up over here. I used to come in on a sat and ask my dad what he was listening to? and it was Rangers on the radio when Jock Wallace was in charge. I remember him buying me a birthday present. It was a Rangers kit with no sponsor and big massive collars with a pair of football boots with about 20 studs in each boot. :lol: That was me hooked.

I could leave the house at quarter to three and be in the stadium for the kick off and on the big European night of the 60s you could hear the singing as you left the house to go to the game.

I could leave the house at quarter to three and be in the stadium for the kick off and on the big European night of the 60s you could hear the singing as you left the house to go to the game.

Thats magic mate. My dad told me loads of stories about the Gers in your era. Ive took him a few times with me and he loves it. He always gives me the yesteryears lol. Great Gers man tho.

He was actually in shouting his mouth of today about the prison guy that was shot over here, he was telling me he was stationed in the lurgan area and he dosnt swear these days,

And his words were, they're a bunch of bigoted fenian B------ up there. he was seething. :lol:

McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Johnstone, Smith, McLean, Conn, Stein, MacDonald and Johnston, 24th May 1972, Nou Camp, Barcelona.

Even though I wasn't there, that was my greatest day as a Rangers Supporter.

My greatest day at Ibrox was in the same year when we gubbed the West German national team Bayern Munich 2-0 in the semi-final.

So many fantastic Rangers memories which I could rabbit on about all night but the above two are the 'stand-outs' in my life.

Love this amazing Club and love our unbelievable support more than words could ever say.

Advocaat's team were a joy to watch but never made the big impact in Europe that the financial outlay was about.

I started going to games in 1962 so I was weaned on Scot Symon's team but I was too young to remember anything other than being inconsolable when my hero Jim Baxter was sold.

I must admit I enjoyed the Souness years, the team were sweeping the board domestically and he had an arrogance about him that I loved.

Walter's team of the early and mid 90's was a bit special at times, with the run in 92-93 and of course the nine.

...So basically every manager has left a memory of something good...even PLG the way he tried to get us to play, we win in Italy and the style of play in Europe was good, even got Charlie Adams slimmed down and made him a central midfielder, =but in Scotland he struggled, although Barry according to many was not helpful to his manager.

Great post Ed. Hope you're writing down all that history in great detail.

In years to come, I'm sure we'll look on Ally's time (ie these unprecedented times) with great affection too, and will have some great memories. Like today.

I don't want to get too excited about today's result, but at the end of the day, we haven't beaten teams like Alloa 7- nil, since long before life in Division 3.

1992/93 for me simply because I lived it. A domestic treble, the first player ever to win the European Golden Boot in consecutive seasons in our team, beating the English Champions twice over two legs and within touching distance of the first ever Champions League Final. That was a truly special time.

But, 1972 will always have a special place in my heart despite I wasn't even born then. Hearing my dads stories of that campaign through europe, truly opened my eyes to what being a Teddy Bear was all about.

WATP

Best time - First memory, only three stands, with me, my uncle John and the bears present, I was in awe.

Best team - Nine in a row legends.

Best Style - Gazza era.

The 60's was great because I did get to see the famous Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow...... though thinking back I was perhaps just a wee bit young to fully appreciate it, but I did love Baxter and Henderson in particular. The 70's was the time I went to Ibrox with my mates and of course it was mental back then. The ECWC semi-final v Bayern Munich game was perhaps the greatest live game for me, The Derry was so insane that night. But Rangers winning the cup that year in Barcelona was thee greatest moment of my life as a Bear. The 9iar years were no bad either!

The 60's was great because I did get to see the famous Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow...... though thinking back I was perhaps just a wee bit young to fully appreciate it, but I did love Baxter and Henderson in particular. The 70's was the time I went to Ibrox with my mates and of course it was mental back then. The ECWC semi-final v Bayern Munich game was perhaps the greatest live game for me, The Derry was so insane that night. But Rangers winning the cup that year in Barcelona was thee greatest moment of my life as a Bear. The 9iar years were no bad either!

Thats my dads favourite ever player. And he always says about him playing keepy upy against England.

Edmiston makes a great point about John Greig's team in Europe in season 1978-79.This season seen Rangers beat the champions of Holland and Italy and very unfortunate to be put out by the champions of Germany.Ihave attended some fantastic European nights at Ibrox,but for me to defeat the champions of Italy,from a 0-1 defecit from the first leg was unthinkable ,the masters of holding onto a lead were beaten 2-0 by the Ger's that night to overturn the tie.What makes this result even more remarkable is that SIX of that team went on to win the World Cup in 1982,[remember Tardelli with the BEST EVER celebration at scoring a goal] playing amongst others.So that game is the one that sticks out....

Edmiston makes a great point about John Greig's team in Europe in season 1978-79.This season seen Rangers beat the champions of Holland and Italy and very unfortunate to be put out by the champions of Germany.Ihave attended some fantastic European nights at Ibrox,but for me to defeat the champions of Italy,from a 0-1 defecit from the first leg was unthinkable ,the masters of holding onto a lead were beaten 2-0 by the Ger's that night to overturn the tie.What makes this result even more remarkable is that SIX of that team went on to win the World Cup in 1982,[remember Tardelli with the BEST EVER celebration at scoring a goal] playing amongst others.So that game is the one that sticks out....

Giovanni Trapattoni was their manager as well,the aforementioned players were,Zoff,Bettega,Causio,Scirea[the best sweeper ever],Tardelli,Gentile and Cabrini,so it was actually SEVEN.....

In terms of football performances....the first 2 years under advocactt has been the best I've seen...

May be controversial and I know his arrogance and lack of knowledge of Scottish football ie you need defenders fucked him in the end but I honestly believe le guen nearly had it right...I'll never forget that 1st game vs Motherwell and then utd at Ibrox...we played some superb football...a combination of him and smith could have been something special!

When I first started going it seemed Colin Stein scored every game from great wing play with crosses and our defense was of the rock solid variety of the though shall not pass mode - and probably blue tinted hindsight but it was fantastic - some of Walters teams were great - especially when Gasgoine was playing!

Albertz Mols De Boer Gio...

Im a lot younger than you ED but how would you compare these players to the ones you mentioned?

Think they would be in the reserves bud................only joking, it's such a hard thing to do, reason why the 60s so special was an age thing and those teams like Real ,Inter and Bayern and the likes , well that was amazing as in these days the coverage was not round the clock and maybe the atmosphere back then with 80k plus and one things that stood out.....was 3 different songs being belted out at various parts of the stadium.

Remember as a boy being taken up to St Enochs Sq to see the players at the hotel showing off the cup............the square was jam packed and the crowds walking down the Edmiston Drive on to the PRW and belting out the songs.