WARNING - Unless you want a criminal record, THINK before you POST

boss

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies) is an argument made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2][non-primary source needed] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler and the Nazis.

Godwin's law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread Reductio ad Hitlerum form. The Reductio ad Hitlerum attempts to refute a view because it has been held by Hitler. The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the discussion progresses, irrespective of whether it is appropriate. Precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

Although in one of its early forms Godwin's law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions, the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches

Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with Nazis. The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering known mainstays of Nazi Germany such as genocide, eugenics or racial superiority, nor, more debatably, to a discussion of other totalitarian regimes or ideologies, if that was the explicit topic of conversation, since a Nazi comparison in those circumstances may be appropriate, in effect committing the fallacist's fallacy. Whether it applies to humorous use or references to oneself is open to interpretation, since this would not be a fallacious attack against a debate opponent.

Godwin has stated that he introduced Godwin's law in 1990 as an experiment in memetics.

Godwin's law does not claim to articulate a fallacy; it is instead framed as a memetic tool to reduce the incidence of inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons. "Although deliberately framed as if it were a law of nature or of mathematics, its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to Nazis to think a bit harder about the Holocaust," Godwin has written

Good God(win) man....did you Google that shit to make a point?

I find it quite funny. For someone who was hounded off this forum previously and who was called all sorts of things, simply because I said I was a Rangers fan who didn't support secterianism, it's amusing to see what the prospect of a jail sentence will do to people's posting habits.

It's funny to read through the forum and see people avoid using words like ta*g and a whole bunch of other words that people here thought they could get away scot free (pun intended) with using. I have been called 'ta*g' and much worse and I did find it genuinely offensive, despite the fact that I am not a Caltholic and in fact have no religion whatosoever. I can only imagine how offensive someone who is Catholic must find this term. (Just as a black guy would find a white guy calling him ni**gger offensive). The real travesty I think is that so many grown men must be compelled to behave decently and civily towards each other. Hopefully many of the opinions expressed here in the past will now increasingly become a smaller and smaller part of this club's great history.

In case anyone is confused about what I am saying, I think it's fine to hate Celtic (as I do) and to dislike or feel rivalry towards fans of other teams because of their support for those clubs. But it should be totally unnacceptable to hate other people based on their religion (or the colour of their skin, or anything else like this.)

I couldn't work out when reading through the forums today for the first time in a few months what was going on and why so many of the posts seem to have been cleaned up. Now I understand. I guess you will have to find new ways to abuse the non-secterian fan base of this club. (Who BTW I believe really are the majority.) The biggest complaint so far seems to be "Oh no, does that mean I will actually have to think about what I say before I say it??" Lol. I guess this will require some people here to engage their brains, if that's possible.

No it isn't funny. It was never funny to start with. This measure isn't meant to be funny either. I think the point is that it's meant to be damned serious. People should learn to be responsible for what they say, or face the concequences.

The only thing that is funny is that once you take away some people's ability to throw secterian and extremely offesive abuse at each other, just how little else they have to say. But even that is just funny in a deeply disapointing and depressing way. It's funny for me because I have been the victim of exactly that kind of sustained abuse on this forum in the past, despite not even being Catholic and not caring about religion at all. From my own perspective and due to my own past personal experiences here, it seems to me that justice has been served. Now people will have no choice but to discuss things civily with each other. They couldn't do it before the law stepped in, so maybe now at last that can change.

No it isn't funny. It was never funny to start with. This measure isn't meant to be funny either. I think the point is that it's meant to be damned serious. People should learn to be responsible for what they say, or face the concequences.

The only thing that is funny is that once you take away some people's ability to throw secterian and extremely offesive abuse at each other, just how little else they have to say. But even that is just funny in a deeply disapointing and depressing way.

I'm glad the authorities have cottoned on to some of the stuff that was going on on this forum in the past and have put a stop to it. Now people will have no choice but to discuss things civily with each other. They couldn't do it before the law stepped in, so maybe now at last that can change.

Sounds like you were the one complaining to FoCUS.

Sounds like you were the one complaining to FoCUS.

Well I never knew they existed before today. But it's interesting to note that they've been reading too. What's the big deal anyway? All they have said is 'clean up your act'. It shouldn't exactly be a difficult thing to do.

But even that is just funny in a deeply disapointing and depressing way. It's funny for me because I have been the victim of exactly that kind of sustained abuse on this forum in the past, despite not even being Catholic and not caring about religion at all. From my own perspective and due to my own past personal experiences here, it seems to me that justice has been served.

So you don't care, but you are offended? But find it funny too?

Come on, make up your mind what you think.

So many people "finding things funny", here's what I find funny: So many people seem quite willing to give up the rights that, as we all know, were bought with the blood of men who just a matter of weeks ago we paid our respects to.

Doesn't matter who you vote for, left or right, they want your rights; they don't want you to be able to criticize their policies or actions, football is only being used a means to bring this legislation in. Its not peoples feelings they are trying to protect. Trust me.

So you don't care, but you are offended? But find it funny too?

Come on, make up your mind what you think.

I think you are pathetic that's what I think. I think it's long overdue that FoCUS turn their attention to these forums and to the forums of opposing fans too. This was one last little hiding hole for the bigots of the world. It wouldn't be allowed on the streets, it defifinately isn't allowed on the stadiums, so why on earth should it be allowed here? Because you imagine that you have anominity? I gurantee you however that you don't. Your IP is being logged and it's your IP address that points directly back to you. There never has been any implicit right to racially abuse people, or to abuse them based on their gender, religion, or sexual orientation. In fact there has been legislation in place since the early 1970's, as well as more recent legislation to prevent this. The problem is most of you guys have been living in the stone age and are only just catching up now.

Welcome to the 21st century guys! I know it might take some adjusting, but the results will be worthwhile I think.

Offfttttt reekin!!

Is that you phil?

I think your sense of smell must be a bit off mate, probably due to spending the last few decades with your head buried up your arse, lol. It's funny to see how afraid you are to really say what's on your mind however. From my perspective I would call that a win.

Anyway don't forget who has really come out on top here. This isn't just a win for me, but a win too for all of the people who are nothing more than good loyal Rangers supporters, of no faith, mixed faith or any faith, who have come on these forums in the past and who have made perfectly reasonable comments, only to put up with a tirade of (often misdirecxted) secterian abuse, from a small but extremely vocal minority of the forum's membership.

Like it or not, you are not at liberty to do that any more. Also you need to get used to the idea that not all Rangers fans support your small minded secterian perspective and that the majority of us are only interested in football. The whole religion and Catholic and Protestant thing means nothing to us at all. This is the kind of future I would like to see my club build, and I would like also to see many of the attitudes that have been expressed here in the past consigned to the dustbin of history.

Don't worry if this is over your head, or if somehow the things I've said 'don't compute'. By the time this comes to pass, most of you will have been left long behind anyway.

I think you are pathetic that's what I think. I think it's long overdue that FoCUS turn their attention to these forums and to the forums of opposing fans too. This was one last little hiding hole for the bigots of the world. It wouldn't be allowed on the streets, it defifinately isn't allowed on the stadiums, so why on earth should it be allowed here? Because you imagine that you have anominity? I gurantee you however that you don't. Your IP is being logged and it's your IP address that points directly back to you. There never has been any implicit right to racially abuse people, or to abuse them based on their gender, religion, or sexual orientation. In fact there has been legislation in place since the early 1970's, as well as more recent legislation to prevent this. The problem is most of you guys have been living in the stone age and are only just catching up now.

Welcome to the 21st century guys! I know it might take some adjusting, but the results will be worthwhile I think.

You are a globalists wet dream.

Dear The Man

Take my rights so people aren't offended by words, that are essentially just noises that come from a hole in someones faces

Yours sincerely

A serf.

FWIW my IP proves that someone in my house posted something ( possibly, there are ways to make your IP addy appear as someone elses)

It in no way proves which person in my house at that time posted something, If i get a visit from plod it's not guilty all the way, and it's up to them to prove it was me that posted it, not the other way around.

Like I said, you reek of beast. ( quick, you better google focus and find out if me saying that means you can complain)

FWIW my IP proves that someone in my house posted something ( possibly, there are ways to make your IP addy appear as someone elses)

It in no way proves which person in my house at that time posted something, If i get a visit from plod it's not guilty all the way, and it's up to them to prove it was me that posted it, not the other way around.

Like I said, you reek of beast. ( quick, you better google focus and find out if me saying that means you can complain)

This has nothing to do with stopping hatred or bigotry. All it does is it allows politicians to label anything they dont like to hear as "bigoted" and BOOM it gets shut down.

Quite a useful piece of legislation if you know you are planning to do some very unpopular things with the power you are given.....

This Jebus may or may not be one of them, but one thing is for sure; he is deluded into believing this is about sparing the feelings of people who go to a football ground. It quite clearly is not.

You can certainly use some methods to 'hide' your IP address. Given that I'm an IT Admin for a major UK university I ought to know something about these things. But none of these methods are completely foolproof and with the right tools and the right knowledge almost anyone can be found. But the interesting point I think is that making such comments in the future would at the very least require you to hide, with no guarantee that you would evade detection. However people with shameful attitudes should be made to hide I feel, until such times as the law finds other more appropriate and more direct ways to deal with them.

It is clear that you assertion that I am a 'beast' is a derivative of the term 'bheast', previously used extensively on this forum to refer in a derogative manner to anyone that certain other members suspected as being either Catholic, or Celtic supporters or both. I assure you I am neither, but I think you should take into consideration that a change in spelling may not by itself imply a change in the sematics (meaning) of your comment and may indeed be interpreted under certain circumstances as an openly sectarian insult.

I invite you to consider your comments carefully, so that you can either amend them, or take greater care in the future before you abuse other members with similar terms. I think it's time you all caught up with reality. The game in this regard is over.

You can certainly use some methods to 'hide' your IP address. Given that I'm an IT Admin for a major UK university I ought to know something about these things. But none of these methods are completely foolproof and with the right tools and the right knowledge almost anyone can be found. But the interesting point I think is that making such comments in the future would at the very least require you to hide, with no guarantee that you would evade detection. However people with shameful attitudes should be made to hide I feel, until such times as the law finds other more appropriate and more direct ways to deal with them.

It is clear that you assertion that I am a 'beast' is a derivative of the term 'bheast', previously used extensively on this forum to refer in a derogative manner to anyone that certain other members suspected as being either Catholic, or Celtic supporters or both. I assure you I am neither, but I think you should take into consideration that a change in spelling may not by itself imply a change in the sematics (meaning) of your comment and may indeed be interpreted under certain circumstances as an openly sectarian insult.

I invite you to consider your comments carefully, so that you can either amend them, or take greater care in the future before you abuse other members with similar terms. I think it's time you all caught up with reality. The game in this regard is over.

What? Calling some people beasts or bheasts has no religious or sectarian connotations. Attempting to cover up institutional child abuse for 30 years is why some people are called beasts. But you probably don't mind that as long as they didn't say any naughty words. What the fuck are you on?

Suitably edited for FoCUS should you wish to complain.

you can politely shove your invitation up your arse :)

I await your proof on how me calling you a bheast is in any way sectarian. They/you are called bheats because your team actively covered up child abuse...bheast.

And " because it can be used to mean a derogatory name for catholics." isn't a valid excuse.

I will concede the use of fenian is now under attack, but i'll call you a bheast all i want. :)

good day to you.