Freddie Flintoff - From Lords to the Ring

bluepeter

Anybody been watching this? I've quite enjoyed the program, he's obviously taking it seriously and looks a bit of a machine now. I can't help thinking he's going to get murdered when he goes in the ring with a proper heavyweight tonight though.

The fight is live on BoxNation, but it's a £10 joining fee and £10 per month. I'll either watch on a stream or watch a rerun when it's on, £20 for less than a round doesn't seem like much of a bargain...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody been watching this? I've quite enjoyed the program, he's obviously taking it seriously and looks a bit of a machine now. I can't help thinking he's going to get murdered when he goes in the ring with a proper heavyweight tonight though.

The fight is live on BoxNation, but it's a £10 joining fee and £10 per month. I'll either watch on a stream or watch a rerun when it's on, £20 for less than a round doesn't seem like much of a bargain...

it will be car crash tv. I cant see how being interested in boxing then taking it up for 6 months makes u a pro just cause Barry M says u have a good punch. Its like playing for rangers simply because u have a good shot. I am sure the ref will be watching like a hawk to make sure he doesn't get hurt badly...but it could go horribly wrong imo.

Wont be paying to watch it though...

it will be car crash tv. I cant see how being interested in boxing then taking it up for 6 months makes u a pro just cause Barry M says u have a good punch. Its like playing for rangers simply because u have a good shot. I am sure the ref will be watching like a hawk to make sure he doesn't get hurt badly...but it could go horribly wrong imo.

Wont be paying to watch it though...

I agree, it's ridiculous to think he can learn enough to beat someone who's been doing it since he was young. The program is trying to build him up as a serious contender, but he's clearly not going to be. A decent boxer would murder him on experience alone, he won't get near him. Seems like they've picked an 'easy' opponent, an unbeaten (2-0) boxer who's starting out as a pro.

I don't expect Flintoff will last a full round.

Does he even have any background in boxing prior to this venture?

It's certainly not a sport you can start in your 30's from scratch and expect to go anywhere with it.

Nope. He fancied a shot at it at the start of the year. 8 months training and he thinks he's a boxer!

Nope. He fancied a shot at it at the start of the year. 8 months training and he thinks he's a boxer!

Mental!

I would have at least expected he done a bit of it as a youngster or something but to come into it at 33/34 or whatever and try to establish himself is very disrespectful to the sport.

Can't see it ending well for him and even if he somehow manages to get through it then where does he go from there?

I thought Hatton coming back was a mistake but this is horrible.

my sons being going to a boxing club for 2 years - he is 12 now - and the club wont put him in a fight yet though he does a lot intense sparring.

If Flintoff had being doing this at an amateur level for a number of years i could see the point and why he might like to try his hand at being a pro - but I dont see the real groundwork and basics that a pro or even a semi experienced amateur would take for granted being there in 9 months.

He has had one "no holds barred" practise match - 4 rounds - and "aquitted himself well" said Barry M

You have to pay to watch this shit? :lol:

Love Freddie, such a lad and i've enjoyed the show, i really hope he does well but albeit some of the comments above are a bit harsh i don't think he'll win. If he wins thought it would be incredible.

Been watching it aswell. As much as I like the guy, I don't think it's going to end well for him. At least he'll have his missus to go home to :drool:

Thought it was strange this wasn't on Sky, considering this programme is and he does ALOTO on Sky 1 aswell.

He maybe can punch but when you don't have years of boxing behind you then you are nto going to know when to throw that killer punch and will no doubt puff yourself out and get picked off by someone who has boxed for most of his life..

As much as I like Flintoff for his general life attitude and his cricket cant help but feel this will end quickly for him. I have often thought of doing the training bit but only to get in shape because I am of a similar age does not mean after a handful of months I will be jumping in the ring and making a name for myself, plus I don't like the idea of getting punched!

I'm sure he does have a decent punch, can he take a punch from a heavyweight boxer though? Probably not.

Dunno, he is a big guy though. I will be watching anyway. I don't care what the pro boxers say, most people will probably be tuning into this just to watch this fight.