How many of our current youngsters will play in the top team

nvager

It will depend on the lads themselves - whether they think they have already "made" it because they are in the first team now, or whether they are wanting to get better. My fear is that they looked good in div 3,2 or even 1 but when it comes to the SPL they are found wanting. We have always used the "no first team experience" excuse for lads not establishing themselves - this crop cant use that.

I was watching Raheem Sterling in the Liverpool game the other day to try and guage how he is getting on and although a very good player he still makes loads of mistakes - as our lads do. However, the liverpool management seem happy for him to make these mistakes now and see it as part of a learning curve.

Our issue has always been that we dont let lads make mistakes because we are chasing the title and a couple of points dropped can kill us. Therefore I think that our lads will have to hit the SPL running as their learning curve will be deemed to be over by then and any mistakes will cost them their place.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone whose seen my posts regularly will know I think Ally's picked up some bad habits from Walter, and I worry that one of those habits is the desire to play anyone but youngsters unless he really has to.

Once we're able to re-sign more experienced players, I do fear (slightly) that Ally will revert to type and shunt the young lads down the pecking order.

The next two seasons will give us a good indication of who will progress and who will plateau.For me at the moment,most of them are looking good for their age,but we must remember that these kids won't begin their "peak years" for another 7-10 years so it's always hard to tell,no matter how good they are at the moment.

The two that concern me a little are Hutton and Perry.Although they are still both young and will only be 22yrs and 23 yrs old respectively in February, Perry seems to ballwatch too much for my liking and tends to take the wrong option when clearing his lines,and Hutton doesn't seem mobile enough to be a midfielder,plus his passing is pretty erratic for a 23 yr old.

Although in saying that, they both could come on in leaps and bounds if they get a decent run in the side,just the same as the ones who currently look the part fall by the wayside.I think it's a given that Ally will attempt to add a bit more experience and quality to the squad when this transfer embargo ends,but I will be very disappointed if there are not at least five or more of these youngsters get a fair chance to fight for a spot in the starting squad

The next two seasons will give us a good indication of who will progress and who will plateau.For me at the moment,most of them are looking good for their age,but we must remember that these kids won't begin their "peak years" for another 7-10 years so it's always hard to tell,no matter how good they are at the moment.

The two that concern me a little are Hutton and Perry.Although they are still both young and will only be 22yrs and 23 yrs old respectively in February, Perry seems to ballwatch too much for my liking and tends to take the wrong option when clearing his lines,and Hutton doesn't seem mobile enough to be a midfielder,plus his passing is pretty erratic for a 23 yr old.

Although in saying that, they both could come on in leaps and bounds if they get a decent run in the side,just the same as the ones who currently look the part fall by the wayside.I think it's a given that Ally will attempt to add a bit more experience and quality to the squad when this transfer embargo ends,but I will be very disappointed if there are not at least five or more of these youngsters get a fair chance to fight for a spot in the starting squad

Just a thought here, but do you think Hutton might end up being a centre half?

As you say he isn't the most mobile player but he has a lot of attributes that you look for in a centre half.

I'm not convinced by Perry. Never have been.

Just a thought here, but do you think Hutton might end up being a centre half?

As you say he isn't the most mobile player but he has a lot of attributes that you look for in a centre half.

I'm not convinced by Perry. Never have been.

I'm not sure what Ally's thoughts are on grooming Hutton as a centre half,mate! but that's where I would play him at bounce games/training beside Jig or Cribari to see how he goes. He certainly has the attributes to play there; he's tall, strong and he seems to hold the line well and can read a forward pretty well,plus his tackling is far better than his passing,so that's where he would be for me.

At the moment, Perry hasn't really shown me anything to suggest that he would get a game in front of what we have already that can play there.

The nature of the beast is that when we return to the top I think we will see only a few of them start.

McKay

McLeod

Little

From what I have seen these will be 3 others could take more time to make the grade, but on a quick return to the top only these 3 have made any impression on me

think if McLeod keeps his feet on the ground, and doesnt have his head turned by money elsewhere and obviously continues to progress as we progress, he could play for us for as long as he wanted to

Who is going to throw money at a midfielder who offers absolutely nothing on a football park?

McLeod, McKay with Aird & Crawford having the potential too.

Massive question marks over guys like Perry, Hutton & Naismith who have all struggled when out on loan at clubs who play at a higher level than we play at now.

Hutton certainly didn't struggle. Was regarded as the best player in the league by quite a bit.

I have heard Hutton has struggled at every club and at every level he has played except in the Rangers first team. As strange as that sounds. From a person inside Auchenhowie.

not true at all here is what I could find from the Partick Thistle fans

http://www.wearethis...__fromsearch__1

and if he had struggled at youth level then he wouldn't have been given a chance in the 1st team would he. So it's best not to listen the cleaners mate.

Will the current crop be good enough at that level (SPL 1) or will we import new players?

Boys mature and developer at different rates,but I'd say we've got at least five,right now more than capable of playing at a higher level.

Keeping our young guns together and careful husbandry of them builds team spirit as well,which is priceless.Add one or two older heads,like Lee Wallace for instance and we'll have a core for years to come.And we will be able to blood youngsters in years to come,surrounded by men who came through the ranks.

I feel we really will reap the whirlwind.

not true at all here is what I could find from the Partick Thistle fans

http://www.wearethis...__fromsearch__1

and if he had struggled at youth level then he wouldn't have been given a chance in the 1st team would he. So it's best not to listen the cleaners mate.

:lol: Comparing Partick Thistle fans to football agents. doh

To answer the italic question, yes. And he wasn't the only one either.

Like i said, strange but true.

:lol: Comparing Partick Thistle fans to football agents.

To answer the italic question, yes. And he wasn't the only one either.

Like i said, strange but true.

I think Partick Thistle fans who watch their team week in week out know more about how Hutton performed for them than whoever you are talking about, are you saying that fans opinions are irrelevant? If so then how about this

http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/football/partick-thistle-fc/partick-thistle-news/2011/11/03/jackie-mcnamara-keen-to-extend-rangers-ace-kyle-hutton-s-stay-at-partick-102692-23535172/

does your source know more than the manager of Partick Thistle?

So clearly your source is talking shite.