Pele Overrated?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's listen to those who saw him play and who played against him, rather than some random clown.

"I told myself before the game, 'he's made of skin and bones just like everyone else' — but I was wrong." - Tarcisio Burgnich, one of Italy's greatest defenders, after the 1970 World Cup final.

Pele's massively over rated.... Football was easy when he was good...the cruyff turn hadn't even been invented! A move we all execute with relative ease week in week out down the astro or the park with our mates.

They almost overlapped, only 4 years difference between their greatest achievements.

The Cruyff move was awesome, and I used it many a time, is brilliant for 5 a sides.

However the move where Pele dummies the Uruguay goalkeeper is better as it was unique and unrehearsed. I always think its a tragedy he did not complete the easy bit and put it in the net.

You could make the argument against Messi for his goals in La Liga in that the opposition he is playing against are actually really dumb and week after week, teams just open up against them and leads to Messi getting goals. If Pele was playing today, with the modern ball and state of the art pitches, he would probably be getting 90+ goals too.

Ive only ever seen videos of football teams back in the day. And the standard off play is absolute dreadful. No wonder the cunts scored so many goals.

Game was a lot different.

Ball was a lot heavier, game was much more physical, more contact and blatant thuggery was seen as part of the game. Defences were as hard as nails.

Games faster and more open now. The ammount of goals being scored in the major leagues was much less then.

You seldom see 0-0 draws in the Premier or Spanish leagues.(arguably the top two)these days.

I suggest goals were harder to come by then.

Pele was kicked out of the 66 world cup. There is footage somewhere of it and it certainly does not make pretty viewing.shows the toughness of the game then.

Think it is part of the official 1966 world cup footage. Can anyone post it ?

He played when he played, and the opposition he faced had to deal with the same circumstances. Today's players are so much fitter and quicker than years ago, however, could they withstand the brutality which defenders, and especially the South Americans, dished out every match?

It's sheer folly to try and compare those playing in totally different eras. I prefer to just enjoy their magic.

Ball was a lot heavier, game was much more physical, more contact and blatant thuggery was seen as part of the game. Defences were as hard as nails.

Games faster and more open now. The ammount of goals being scored in the major leagues was much less then.

You seldom see 0-0 draws in the Premier or Spanish leagues.(arguably the top two)these days.

Pele was kicked out of the 66 world cup. There is footage somewhere of it and it certainly does not make pretty viewing.shows the toughness of the game then.

I used to watch this World Cup video made by Bryan Robson back when I was a lad, it had a lot about pele, the Portuguese physically assaulted him in 66 it was shameful!

Pretty sure that's bollocks.

Anyone who thinks Pele is over rated falls into one of these categories;

a) those who never saw him play or watched any clips of him playing

b) those who know nothing about football

c) those who are attention seeking fannys

d) all of the above

An absolute genius who brought pleasure to millions.

Oh and the opposition would resort to any means to try to stop him;

1990 The Alcazar bar on Copa and this argument came up and the barman a Botafoga fan inserted a tape into a video player ,it was of Garrincha and it was fucking poetry on a football pitch.I have and probabiy will never see again anybody in command of a football like the wee man