Trouble at Dens was ‘worst for decades’

The Dude

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has apologised to Dundee after trouble in the away end during their Boxing Day game.

During the tie at Dens Park, Tayside Police dealt with a "level of disturbance primarily within the Celtic section of the stadium".

The trouble at the Scottish Premier League match included a series of bangers being set off in the away end during the first-half.

Police confirmed that five supporters, one for the home side Dundee and four following away team Celtic, will be reported to the Crown following the disturbance.

A force spokeswoman said: "There was a level of disturbance at the match, primarily within the Celtic section of the stadium.

"Five people are to be reported to the procurator fiscal for alleged football-related offences. Officers responded to the incidents quickly and took appropriate action."

Dundee FC operations manager Jim Thomson said that his staff were shocked at some of the behaviour by an element of the travelling support on Wednesday night.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell responded: "We are very proud that Celtic supporters enjoy such a great reputation and it is therefore extremely disappointing that the behaviour of a small minority has tarnished the good name of the club and our fans in this way.

"Clearly, we apologise to Dundee Football Club - we will work with them and look into any incident which is raised and if we can identify any individuals involved, we will obviously take the strongest possible action.

"We have received a number of complaints today from our own supporters about the conduct of this minority - we cannot allow our supporters' enjoyment of our matches to be affected in this way and we will not sit and allow the club's reputation to be damaged. Our supporters over many years have earned such a fantastic repuation for positively supporting the club, we will not allow this to be taken from them. It is time for all our true supporters who care about Celtic to unite with the club and find a solution to this problem."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five people are to be reported to the procurator fiscal for alleged football-related offences....yet it was supposed to be the worst fan behaviour in decades? LOL!!!

Scottish fans are the most placid fans in Europe... the media always make out Scots are the mentalist lol.

Untitled-7_zps1aee659c.png

Disgrace

DUNDEE last night slammed Celtic fans for their shameful Boxing Day behaviour at Dens Park.

Seething stadium boss Jim Thomson admitted he feared “a full-scale riot”.

Fans openly urinated in stands and fought with each other, with Dundee revealing more than 70 punters were ejected from the ground.

Thomson, blasted: “I have never seen anything like the behaviour of the Celtic fans in the 20 years that I have been running games at Dens Park. Our fans were abused, our stewards were abused and no doubt the police were abused.

“My staff were genuinely at risk and it was not just a small minority to blame.

“I’m not pulling any punches here. I did not feel safe. It was like a throwback to the 1970s. It really was scary. I had Celtic fans coming up to me to tell me in the street they were embarrassed by their own fans’ behaviour and the state they were in.”

Would Dundee have any legal recourse to recoup the losses they incurred at Dens Park as a result of the Celtic fans' behavior on Boxing Day? Is celtic f.c. legally responsible to pay for the damages? How would the Scots law view this? How would this legal morass play out?

Would Dundee have any legal recourse to recoup the losses they incurred at Dens Park as a result of the Celtic fans' behavior on Boxing Day? Is celtic f.c. legally responsible to pay for the damages? How would the Scots law view this? How would this legal morass play out?

I take it you've never been in Dundee?

Vandalism can only improve it.

I take it you've never been in Dundee?

Vandalism can only improve it.

Yes sir, I have never been in Dundee. :) The last time I visited Scotland was in 1977 when I was just a wide-eyed teenager from the U.S. LOL I was just wondering who is the responsible party to pay for the damages, and it would definitely have to be CFC. Y'all know more than I anyway.