Can our young defenders mature into Rangers stalwarts?

linnyplant

There has been much discussion on the forums over the merits of our young defensive players such as Perry and Hegarty and a lot of the comments about their ability and potential have not been positive. I would personally not right off any young player as I can remember a young Craig Moore being ridiculed by the fans when he played at full back and he developed into a very talented central defender. Perhaps to a lesser extent Scott Nisbet also comes into this category as he was never a fans favourite either but he did become a bit of a cult figure at Ibrox . I am also old enough to remember John McLelland who got off to a very poor start in his career with Rangers but emerged to be a particular favourite of mine. Perhaps if Perry, Hegarty and other young players are given the proper coaching and encouragement from the fans they too can go on to greater things with our team.

You're right a lot of the comments surrounding Perry, Hegarty, Cole and Argyriou is that they won't be around when we make it back to the top tier. All young defenders need a guiding hand to help them along, and it is a real pity that Davie Weir isn't about to give his knowledge and experience to these guys. The most important thing that I can see going for them at the moment is that they are getting vital experience against some tough opponents (yes they may be part-time players, but I'm sure they know all the tricks) and they will learn with every game.

I have high hopes for Hegarty. Plenty of others on here don't rate him, but I just see something in him that makes me think he'll be a good player. Perry definitely needs someone to guid him through games at times, whether Cribari is the right man to do that remains to be seen, but he certianly seems to have settled in so fingers crossed it works out.

The thing is, forwards get to come in, and have a few good moments in a game and get marked out as stars for the future, even with a whole load of mistakes.

Defenders make a couple of mistakes and get written off.

This is a great learning curve for them, in a relatively safe environment. There is definitely potential there, and they won't all make it, but they won't all fail either.

I think Hegarty and Cole can have a promising future. Everytime Cole plays (which isnt very often) he plays well and looks solid. Im not so sure about Perry though, he just doesnt convince me but I hope he can prove me wrong.

I believe we need a Defensive Coach , dont think we have One.

Davie Weir would have been great or big Gough even Sasa Papac for a period of time to coach them until they matured.

I feel our defence needs a bit more experience in there.The guys I mention where great at reading the Game .

I'd say defence is the hardest position for a youngster to establish himself and develop.

Errors tend to mean goals so it's a harsh cilmate.

However it is also the bedrock of the side so if there is one area of the field worth persevering with then this is it as you can't easily buy a set of defenders who have grown together and developed an understanding.

I have great faith in Hegarty. Perry is just a clogger in the Scott Wilson mould imho but maybe he'll hone his game in coming seasons.

Look closely at their attributes rather than their games.

For me the only real defender that came through in recent years was Danny Wilson who then ruined it by moving for greed.

He had pace, vision, height and positional awareness.

Perry has height....that's it.

Cole has pace, power, aggression but weak defensively. Plus he is injury prone which is hampering his vital years to make it to the top.

Hegarty looks too small to be a centre half but it didn't stop Cannavaro or Puyol. Long way to go to convince me he will make it their. At full back he doesn't look to have the searing pace required to overlap and defend.

For me they are all average to good with nothing exceptional. They will do a job in the lower divisions but not sure they will be stalwarts in the SPL.

Im not going to say for certain they wont make it but from what I have seen so far I think Perry will peak at SFL1 standard and Hegarty maybe low SPL standard. People use their age to mask their inadequacies, even at this level.

Both, especially Perry have very poor distribution. They both dive into challenges far to often and give away needless free-kicks. Neither is a good communicator and they are both poor in terms of decision making. The positive is these are all things that can be improved on with the right coaching and experience. Both are over 20 now though and in relative terms aren't youngsters anymore so this improvement will need to happen over the next season or two at most for them to remain with us, if we want to push on.

Pace for me is a problem. Neither has any and it is very difficult to develop pace once you are fully grown. I loved the partnership of Boughy and Weir because one had pace and could play from the back while the other was a leader and was a step ahead in terms of decision making. We need players of a similar or better level than those 2 if we want to win back our top division title and progress as a club. Can Perry or Hegarty get to that level? I dont think so but I would love to be proved wrong.

You have raised some good points scarkev as have other posters but the point I am trying to make is if you had been able to analyse Moore , Nisbet and McLelland at an age similar to Perry and Hegarty are just now I don't think that many would have predicted that they would have made the breakthrough that they eventually did.

Have to agree with most of the comments here but I tend to agree with Rolledoats about Hegarty. Maybe I'm a wee bit biased coming from Northern Ireland, but I see something there...he's not another Davie Weir, or a Butcher, or a Gough... but here's hoping he makes it!

You have raised some good points scarkev as have other posters but the point I am trying to make is if you had been able to analyse Moore , Nisbet and McLelland at an age similar to Perry and Hegarty are just now I don't think that many would have predicted that they would have made the breakthrough that they eventually did.

There are no certainties with young players...for all we know McKay and McLeod may be ones who don't kick on....alot of it depends on the individual as much as coaching. I'm certainly not suggesting there is no chance either hegarty or perry will develop into top players. I'm only giving my opinion based on what I have seen so far.

I don't know about the other 2 but with Moore the thing was he was played out of position and just before he left for palace he was coming onto a game...the other factor is that he was coming through at the top level at a time when the standard was reasonably high. Perry and hegarty are coming through against part time opponents and need to show more composure at this level.

I hate typing this as I love my club and fully support all who don the jersey, but the defenders that we have on show just now, to answer the question, will not be stalwarts. As much as they are doing a half decent job at this level, any higher I fear they will struggle.

The first job of a defender is to defend. Evidence so far this season is that defending has been erratic (and that is putting it kindly). Too may periods of sloppy play, lack of concentration, and stuggling with crosses into the box. They are learning so some of that is probably inevitable right now. Can they become stalwarts? I don't rule it out. As we move through games and leagues it'll get more bruising for them though so I really do hope they develop into stronger better players. They're being given a great chance to do this while the transfer ban lasts so it's in their hands.