Rangers hard men

bluechip

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9? Christ! Some strange people on RM

I come on here to talk with like-minded people.

There are some people on here who are most-definitely NOT like-minded - not like my mind or your mind anyway. Rather than get wound up by them, I choose to ignore them - it saves a lot of grief, and a lot of time.

If you are talking hard men, then the likes of Willie Henderson, Wee Bud and so have to be included..........the treatment they received yet still went back for more, well that to me shows what a hard man is all about.

First person to realise that you can be hard and talented. Butcher, Souness ,Hateley, Gasgoine and Prso are a few others that come to mind

Ally Dawson, Hugh Burns ,Graham Roberts, Terry Butcher, Duncan Ferguson, Ian Ferguson, Terry Hurlock ,Graham Souness and Lee McCulloch, all ones I have been privileged to see play for Rangers

Harold Davis,Jimmy Millar,and the incomparable Captain Cutlass,Bobby Shearer!

Some of our current players do look like they could do with daily gym / weight lifting sessions though. Probably double sessions at that.

Robbie Crawford, Aird , templeton, Makay et al all good players but could do with improving their upper body strengh. Especially if you compare them to past players such as Amoruso. ( ignoring his post playing physique ! )

Some of our current players do look like they could do with daily gym / weight lifting sessions though. Probably double sessions at that.

Robbie Crawford, Aird , templeton, Makay et al all good players but could do with improving their upper body strengh. Especially if you compare them to past players such as Amoruso. ( ignoring his post playing physique ! )

Sometimes in doing that you can have the opposite re players skill being messed up, re balance and ability to move.

Can't understand the logic that because we are playing in a league with a lot of cluggers, we should have more of our own - we're the ones 19 points clear.

One of the toughest players about at the moment is Messi - takes the punishment then "dishes it out" by sticking the ball in the back of the net. That's the sort of hard man we should be aiming at

A thread on hardmen and no mention of Kevin muscat .now there was a nutter .

Did he not play in just about every game the season he was with us except Old Firm games? Big Eck didn't trust him or something!!

I look at this more along the lines of defenders and some midfield players that when they make a tackle it goes in and the ball is won whatever level of strength and determination is needed to win it fairly and squarely. We are not, imo, doing well enough in that department. Seems to me right now there is an emphasis on backing off and waiting for the opposition to make a mistake or failed attempts to intercept the ball before it arrives at the opponent. As for defending set pieces.....I'd like to see a heap more determination to attack the ball and not let the opposition forwards have as much space as we seem to give them. Granted its still a young defence that's still learning. I'm not saying they are pushovers - far from it - just that a bit more assertiveness and ruthlessness might be needed and maybe that comes with more experience. Put differently, wonder how many opposition players come out of a game knowing that they had been given a bit of a hard lesson in ruthless finishing in terms of goals and a hard lesson in ruthless defence in terms of denying opportunity to score goals.

I reckon that as we progress through the leagues a slightly tougher and more ruthless mentality will be needed. Now coaching that is quite a skill I think.