1. 1. Ban Loyalist Songs At Ibrox?

• No - It's our history/heritage
    • Yes - We should sing only Rangers songs
    • Dont Care - I hate Singing At The Football

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres few things in life that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up like build my gallows rocking Ibrox on a european night.

Not for the lyrical content just for the atmosphere it engenders, dont see why we should give that up, aye take away the sectarian stuff and the add ons but lets no be surrendering our heritage and tradition to appease those who will never be appeased till we're dead.

all im going to say is one of my best friends is a catholic rangers supporter, an active chapel going Catholic imagine attending games at Ibrox and some of your own fans think its okay to sing these songs... there isnt a need for it this is a FOOTBALL team the GREATEST football team in the world so lets act like it

Rangers were here and the songs were here before your Catholic pal, Did he not know Glasgow has a Catholic club he could of followed since he does not like Rangers songs?

If this continues and we are forced to give up songs that give up celebratuon of our History then im afraid i wont return to any football ground ever again.

If that has to include Ibrox then so be it.

Rangers are more than a clubthey are a predominately Protestant institution not only a club.Remember that.

Remove that and it juat becomes another plain ordinary football clubas well?

If thats what you want yhen just go and suppoet killie or Motherwell.

This subject is designed to fracture Rangers and it will.On a not soes this mean no more association with our N.Ireland fanbase?

Don't let the turnstile hit your knuckle dragging self on the way out ;)

There is already a ground in Glasgow for people that don't want to sing Loyalist songs its Parkhead and that's where the Handwringers should fuck off too and leave us Rangers fans in peace

Why don't you stay on your island?

You fuck off to a choir group then

The only problem I have with 'Loyalist' songs is that they are, for the most part , not songs about us being loyal to the Queen (we do sing the National Anthem of course) or country, these songs almost all sing about the time when King William battled in Ulster over 320 years ago. We also have some references to the more modern day conflict over there which mostly ended 15 years ago.

Why should a team based in Glasgow & mainly supported by Scots in the west of Scotland concentrate so much on Ulster? I know we have a strong and regular support who travel over for the games but it's a minority. The songs we sing should be songs from the majority.

When the ships were being built in Govan a large percentage of the workers came from accross the water and these fans at that time put a lot of their hard earned cash into our/their club. These fans and this connection is also part of out heritage.

WHY DO WE NEED LOYALIST SONGS?

Get them punted and get more tunes akin to 4 boys had a dream.

When the ships were being built in Govan a large percentage of the workers came from accross the water and these fans at that time put a lot of their hard earned cash into our/their club. These fans and this connection is also part of out heritage.

Part of the heritage, but should not be allowed to bring the club down.

As I said in the other thread, when we started, we were about the love of football, about being the best. We have a new start, and should grab it with both hands.

I don't have problems with the songs, but if they are going to get us in trouble, we need to stop, regardless of what the morons across the city are/aren't allowed to sing.

]nachothelegend, on 05 March 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

If this continues and we are forced to give up songs that give up celebratuon of our History then im afraid i wont return to any football ground ever again.

If that has to include Ibrox then so be it.

Rangers are more than a clubthey are a predominately Protestant institution not only a club.Remember that.

Remove that and it juat becomes another plain ordinary football clubas well?

If thats what you want yhen just go and suppoet killie or Motherwell.

This subject is designed to fracture Rangers and it will.On a not soes this mean no more association with our N.Ireland fanbase?

Why does having an association with the Northern Ireland fanbase mean having to sing Ulster Songs? There must be other ways to promote the connection?

Also with regards to 'if you remove that it just becomes another ordinary football club' - so when we started, up until the 1920's (50 years of the club) we were just another ordinary club?

For me, Rangers is not a 'Protestant Institution', it wasn't when I was growing up and isn't now. I don't disagree with anyone that is a protestant and wants to support Rangers, or bring it to the football. Everyone supports Rangers in their own way, I grew up believing Rangers to be a team that didn't give up, that fought hard, played with skill, style, flair and treated other teams, players with respect and dignity, which I believe is the Rangers way? Something we ask of all of those connected with Rangers. I got that from watching the team, and supporting them as a youngster 500 miles away, until I was 21 and moved to Glasgow.

so glad that this thread shows nothing that happens in the pubs, on way to games,sash bashes.

bigotry is just about gone at games but loylist songs to.why?

what will be next. cant be proud to be british.

scum will love this thread,think i might stay off hear for a bit. this is a real low point for me some of these posts.

Why does having an association with the Northern Ireland fanbase mean having to sing Ulster Songs? There must be other ways to promote the connection?

Also with regards to 'if you remove that it just becomes another ordinary football club' - so when we started, up until the 1920's (50 years of the club) we were just another ordinary club?

For me, Rangers is not a 'Protestant Institution', it wasn't when I was growing up and isn't now. I don't disagree with anyone that is a protestant and wants to support Rangers, or bring it to the football. Everyone supports Rangers in their own way, I grew up believing Rangers to be a team that didn't give up, that fought hard, played with skill, style, flair and treated other teams, players with respect and dignity, which I believe is the Rangers way? Something we ask of all of those connected with Rangers. I got that from watching the team, and supporting them as a youngster 500 miles away, until I was 21 and moved to Glasgow.

I think much of it has to do with a shared culture and sense of identity. Of course culture doesn't live in books it lives in song, symbolism, tradition therefore it should come as no surprise that is reflected in our song repertoire.

So you supported Rangers from 500 miles away but think you have the right to tell 45k~ people who were born and raised in this city what to sing in their football grounds? GTF