If You Thought It Was Bad Getting On The Subway

If all you guys that get the subway to the game and back from the game thought it's a squeeze getting on, well have a look at the stations back in the 60s and 70s and think of the crowds with only one platform.

29456.jpg

Copland Rd

Yeah but people only weighed an average of 7 stones ED .... some eat that in chips now

Fuck walking through there at night time !

That looks good compared to the reality, used it once in the 70's, the lamps were incandescents, there was some of them out, with water running down the wall in the middle of the tunnel it was an experiance I didn't want to repeat. Never saw the larger tunnels.

The pedestrian tunnel was the only one in use up to the 70s but there were actually two others, obviously bigger which were for the horses and carts.

Have no idea if they are still there or what condition they are in, anybody know what happened to them ?

The wee tunnel was always dingy, smelly and damp, we used it as a shortcut over to Anderston if we were pubbing in the Dumbarton Road. Otherwise was not much further to the bridge.s if we were pubbing in town.

The Rotunda was opened again during the Flower Fesstival as Nardini's Ice Cream Parlour.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rotundas/

Pretty sure they also opened the tunnel, I remember walking through it..

Brilliant pics, ED.

You can almost get that unique "subway smell" again looking at them. I remember the carriages had leather seats, or am I havering? Then when the anti-smoking lobby started you could only have a fag in the back carriage? Definitely "No Spitting" in any carriage, right enough. :D

Fondest memories of the subway was of a cracking new "burd" I had met at the Barrowland Ballroom....doesnt that sound grand ..a week earlier...Arranged a date and we met at the Boots corner Argyle street...There she was mini skirt..ok "pelmet"...looking great...and of course "tights" hadnt been invented...anyways taking her back to my place on the subway....ok..ok...still lived wae ma maw...it was from St. Enoch to Cessnock....Imagine the scene..I just wish I had been the guys sitting opposite... :matron: ..Now wondering where she is now...if your out there Betty give us a call... :D

Fondest memories of the subway was of a cracking new "burd" I had met at the Barrowland Ballroom....doesnt that sound grand ..a week earlier...Arranged a date and we met at the Boots corner Argyle street...There she was mini skirt..ok "pelmet"...looking great...and of course "tights" hadnt been invented...anyways taking her back to my place on the subway....ok..ok...still lived wae ma maw...it was from St. Enoch to Cessnock....Imagine the scene..I just wish I had been the guys sitting opposite... :matron: ..Now wondering where she is now...if your out there Betty give us a call... :D

:7325: And she turned up when you said Boots Corner..............think I pulled Betty the week before up the Barrowland but I had moved so no need to go back via Cessnock to MacLellan St :7325:

If all you guys that get the subway to the game and back from the game thought it's a squeeze getting on, well have a look at the stations back in the 60s and 70s and think of the crowds with only one platform.

29456.jpg

Copland Rd

Ed back in the day at work ;)

my god brings back so many memories.I used to play in there with my mates.Willie Pickering,Alex Lesley( God rest)and Jim McGinty.What an eerie feeling but happy days.

My mother used to tell me a story when we lived in Plantation St, went missing one day and they found me along with others marching along the dockside playing Salvation Army marching :7325:

She said when the Sally Army band marched up Plantaion St , think the hall was there........I used to march in front of them wearing my tackety boots :7325:

:7325: And she turned up when you said Boots Corner..............think I pulled Betty the week before up the Barrowland but I had moved so no need to go back via Cessnock to MacLellan St :7325:

"Liar Liar..pants on fire Ed"...cos she told me it was the first time she had been to the dancin...when I asked if she came often... doh

"Liar Liar..pants on fire Ed"...cos she told me it was the first time she had been to the dancin...when I asked if she came often...

"Liar Liar..pants on fire Ed"...cos she told me it was the first time she had been to the dancin...when I asked if she came often...

She came often with me, but so did all the women in my life :7325: You Cessnock guys didn't know what was what :7325: Used to think christ only my mate and I up the Barrowland if anything kicked off :7325: But he could shift when it came to that and I was the one that could shift another way :7325: Did you take her to Jullians Cafe at the end of the row of shops as you came out the subway and walked along the PRW.

She came often with me, but so did all the women in my life :7325: You Cessnock guys didn't know what was what :7325: Used to think christ only my mate and I up the Barrowland if anything kicked off :7325: But he could shift when it came to that and I was the one that could shift another way :7325: Did you take her to Jullians Cafe at the end of the row of shops as you came out the subway and walked along the PRW.

Stop winding me up Ed....you know I suffer from low self esteem... :hanged: ....Bl**dy hell...nearly choked there... :) ..As for Julians...had moved on from there and we frequented The Waverley Cafe..along from The Clachan ......Norie owned the the cafe..and I turned out for the team..Happy days...

Stop winding me up Ed....you know I suffer from low self esteem... :hanged: ....Bl**dy hell...nearly choked there... :) ..As for Julians...had moved on from there and we frequented The Waverley Cafe..along from The Clachan ......Norie owned the the cafe..and I turned out for the team..Happy days...

Aye and the Waverley had a crackin team.

I used to go into the Waverly, had a pal that lived in Clifford Place and a female at School I liked lived over the road. I

A guy who ran the team late 60s worked in Butter Cranes and I used to play football with they guys from Butters during school holidays and he said to my dad in the pub, that he would like me to come down and train with them. My dad said he would get killed playing in that league as I was 16.

Guy played in goal for them early 70s I'm sure initials M McI. and a guy from Mosspark J A initials I went to school with his younger brother.

Memory opening up now, sure another guy that worked in Butters played for them.......ginger hair and specs , I know doesn't sound as if a player but he was a good footballer.

I used to go into the Waverly, had a pal that lived in Clifford Place and a female at School I liked lived over the road. I

A guy who ran the team late 60s worked in Butter Cranes and I used to play football with they guys from Butters during school holidays and he sais to my dad in the pub, that he would like me to come down and train with them. My dad said he would get killed playing in that league as I was 16.

I think it was 2nd class juvenile a lot of x juniors played hard as hell.I had one season with Vermont Thistle if i remember it was a guy called Archie Campbell that ran them.The strips were only washed once a month wether they needed it or not.By god they needded it.

I think it was 2nd class juvenile a lot of x juniors played hard as hell.I had one season with Vermont Thistle if i remember it was a guy called Archie Campbell that ran them.The strips were only washed once a month wether they needed it or not.By god they needded it.

I was 15 and was kicking the ball about the plots on a Saturday and was asked to play in a game against Denniston Waverly, I guy who ran the team was cousin of a pal and I played and scored in the first half and start of the second the guy I was against said here son a bit of orange and good goal, but I will have you if you try that again.............used to get good crowds watching the game and the guy going round with the hat for the collection :7325: Played in the pitch at the tennis courts that day and although I lived in MacLellan St at the time, seemed like another world as I lived up at the Gower St end :7325: Used to play with loads of KP guys in 68/69 on a sunday as i knew a few guys form KP re football.