Chelsea for me sum up how much the modern game is about money

Regarding history, Chelsea (a club I strongly dislike) had won three times as many European trophies as Rangers before Abramovich came along. This "my club has 'more history' than yours" (however the fuck you quantify that abstract concept) dick-measuring exercise is just daft.

Regarding history, Chelsea (a club I strongly dislike) had won three times as many European trophies as Rangers before Abramovich came along. This "my club has 'more history' than yours" (however the fuck you quantify that abstract concept) dick-measuring exercise is just daft.

S'wrang with Chelsea?

(tu)

I was just about to say that. :D

History is history, its how that history is made and developed which counts IMO. Plus Rangers compete in Scotland, a country of 5 million people.

Bill Struth built Rangers to the titan it is, the founding fathers even before him and the huge cultural aspect which the club holds for many people. It has moved onto a new level instead of actually building a club with good coaching and good management of the club, the answer is sugar daddies throwing insane amounts of money at players, spending huge sums of money on wages and in effect buying success for the image of said club really.

I believe you have a soft spot for Arsenal so you would know they were bought by asugar daddy in 1910 and he bought them into the 1st division under controversial circumstances

We have, nevertheless, historically dominated Scottish football by being the best supported - therefore consequently the wealthiest - club in the land. The fact that we earned that support and that money through success on the field is neither here nor there. It still perpetuated a cycle of dominance. We still had the pick of the best Scottish players, an unmatched ability to draw foreign players who came primarily for the money, and the best facilities. Complaining about the game being "all about money" strikes me as something that fans of, say, Halifax are entitled to do. Not us.

corporate dominance is bad for the game but it's a cancer that's too big to be cut out now. I disagree that it's here nor there though, teams like Rangers or Manchester united established that corporate dominance like a small business owner who spent years of hard work growing his business to become multi-national with multi-million pound turnovers, meanwhile Chelsea & Man City were like small business owners who never quite achieved the same success but won the lottery 1 day to pull there wealth in line with who earned it. Those Sheiks could have purchased West Ham instead of Man City and they'd be the team competing for the Prem while City scrapped in the relegation zone.

Of course they can't. Before they had sugar daddies they played in leagues dominated by corporate monopolies, of which Rangers are (were) a sterling example.

A Rangers fan moaning about money ruling the game seems every bit as cringe-inducing to me as a Celtic fan claiming his club are persecuted underdogs, despite winning the title 44 times. A number of complex factors led to Rangers becoming the biggest club in Scotland, and only some of those were in any way merit-based. We have been very lucky and very spoilt.

If I was given the chance to name just one poster who I thought would have been most against the sort of financial doping that has been witnessed at Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City, PSG et al, I would have plumped for you in an instant.

If I was given the chance to name just one poster who I thought would have been most against the sort of financial doping that has been witnessed at Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City, PSG et al, I would have plumped for you in an instant.

Doping would indicate rule breaking no?

I don't like the way those clubs have built up but it's legal all the same.

corporate dominance is bad for the game but it's a cancer that's too big to be cut out now. I disagree that it's here nor there though, teams like Rangers or Manchester united established that corporate dominance like a small business owner who spent years of hard work growing his business to become multi-national with multi-million pound turnovers, meanwhile Chelsea & Man City were like small business owners who never quite achieved the same success but won the lottery 1 day to pull there wealth in line with who earned it. Those Sheiks could have purchased West Ham instead of Man City and they'd be the team competing for the Prem while City scrapped in the relegation zone.

:lol:

I am against it in general, and tend to form a dislike for these clubs as a result of their excesses, but I can't honestly say that I find what Chelsea have done any more cynical and ultimately damaging than the control and dominance that Rangers and Celtic have exerted over Scottish football over the last century and more. I just imagine how ridiculous I would think a Rangers fan complaining about being priced out of the elite game was, if I wasn't one myself.