Mather: We're building a squad to win against Celtic

CRAIG MATHER says Rangers are building a squad to WIN the next Old Firm game.

Ibrox boss Ally McCoist has added seven new faces ahead of their upcoming Second Division campaign.

But recently installed chief executive Mather is adamant they are also planning on being ready to beat Celtic in the top flight.

He said: “We have to win back-to-back promotions. Nothing else will satisfy me.

“We can grow in stature as a team. We’ve brought in players like Jon Daly and Nicky Law who we know can play at a high level but we’re not just buying for this league.

“We are trying to create momentum so when we get back to the top and are playing against Celtic on a regular basis we’re in a position to compete convincingly.

“In our opinion we will be going into that game thinking we can win it. That is one of the areas we’re looking at.”

Despite the additions the Ibrox wage bill has been cut with high earners like Carlos Bocanegra, Dorin Goian and Fran Sandaza all gone.

Mather said: “New faces are coming in but it’s also important there’s balance. We’ve brought in seven but the player wage bill has actually gone down.

“That is an important point. We really want to build the concrete foundations with some financial security but we know we need to be competing in the Champions League. The only way you do that is with a certain quality of player. We need to build year-on-year to ensure we can compete and get that number one spot in the top division.”

Mather and chairman Walter Smith held talks with McCoist after jetting to Gers’ pre-season camp on the outskirts of Bielefeld on Tuesday.

They took in last night’s 1-0 friendly win over FC Gutersloh and will head home this morning.

McCoist still wants to add more new players including French-Tunisian trialist defender Bilel Mohsni, Bosnian stopper Boris Pandza and former Gers forward Kenny Miller.

Mather revealed one could be signed within 48 hours.

He said: “Yesterday Walter and I talked from meeting at the airport until we got off the flight then all evening over dinner with Alistair. It’s no secret that Alistair likes the trialist. If we can come to an agreement I think there can be a positive outcome. The biggest predicament isn’t just the player.

“We’ve got three offerings in. There’s been a lot of speculation about the trialist because he’s here and in the public eye.

“But there are another couple of faces we’re looking at — and that was one of the things Alistair and I were discussing last night.

“We could make another addition without anyone leaving but we want a tight-knit group that can move Rangers forward.

“Something could happen tomorrow or Friday but football agents make things interesting.

“We have a very definitive idea about strengthening the various areas. We’ve already brought in a couple of strikers.

“There’s a possibility some players could move on but that might influence our requirements.

“For the club there is a bigger picture and long-term vision.

“We know where we are, we have got to win the Second Division convincingly and we have got to score goals and play good football.

“The players we’ve brought in I’m happy to stand by.

“They’ll improve the football we play and pre-season alone will allow us to have a better start to the season.

“I was positive I had to give Alistair a good pre-season after a horrific time last year. To have a pre-season was imperative.

“The squad we’ve got I believe will create competition and you can see that already.”

The SFA have told Gers they will not face a further enquiry over Charles Green’s takeover from Craig Whyte.

Mather added: “It’s another stepping stone. I have been in open dialogue with the SFA since I came in. I’ve had quite a number of discussions with them about the club and our vision.

“They are satisfied with where we are and have drawn a line in the sand as well. We all need to move on from that.

“There’s been so much in the media but positivity is imperative now to help Rangers grow.”

48 hours

:BELM:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the additions the Ibrox wage bill has been cut with high earners like Carlos Bocanegra, Dorin Goian and Fran Sandaza all gone.

Sandaza well that worries me so what are the other panic buys from last season on.

Well Sandaza was going to be on 6k per week this year IIRC from the tommy the taxi driver phonecall, from Sandazas own mouth.

If he is being classed as one of the higher earners, I would not imagine there are many left on more than that.

Good interview, like the content.

How many times have you drawn the line under something so that you can move on, does it mean you forgive and forget probably not.

I have a feeling we are starting to shape up, nothing in particular but the lack of leaked stories and one press mouthpiece is satisfying at this time.

The worry for me is a share buy up, to the maximum allowed, then someone else demands a board restructure etc ( or in other words someone wants some airtime)

Don't see the need at the moment really

] I'm assuming that the board feel we are best to get people in now on lower wages than we would pay at spl level to stop money grabbing players and agents trying to hold us to ransom if we tried to sign them when we are back.

also by then these lads will be a well oiled machine and will save us having to hope lots of new faces gel straight away in our first season back in the top tier.

A nice positive interview, and what really surprised me is that it came from the Sun!!! I really hope we get Belil and he doesn't slip through our fingers, it also sounds to me that there aren't any issues our end and we could sign him without someone leaving first though the part of this story which stood out to me was his comment about agents, no surprise there. I'm sure when I get back on later in the day there will be the usual doom and gloom replies. Also disagree about the comment regarding the players signed, most of them are internationals, they've all had experience at SPL level they are not bad players by any means and probably some of the better players who played in the SPL, and now they will be playing in a better team with access to better fitness coaches and facilities etc.

Don't see the need at the moment really

Totally disagree, think I'll have this next comment on permanent cut and paste! You don't make a team overnight, it needs time to develop and it's not just about winning this league it's about having a team that is ready to walk straight into the top flight, and being able to compete with the top flight teams, we will have the chance to show if we are developing good enough in the cup competitions for the next couple of seasons. Wonder what people would say about the team and squad if we went on to win the Scottish Cup this season?

Totally disagree, think I'll have this next comment on permanent cut and paste! You don't make a team overnight, it needs time to develop and it's not just about winning this league it's about having a team that is ready to walk straight into the top flight, and being able to compete with the top flight teams, we will have the chance to show if we are developing good enough in the cup competitions for the next couple of seasons. Wonder what people would say about the team and squad if we went on to win the Scottish Cup this season?

Even by signing these players it would be hard for us to switch our tactics and mind set going to play Celtic when we have been playing the likes of Forfar etc. see Dundee united last season.

Improved fitness, improved structures within the club, making sure we don't spend what we don't have - Mather is impressing us just by doing the basics. I'm excited to see how he will push the club on even further, assuming he isn't forced out at boardroom level at some point.

Even by signing these players it would be hard for us to switch our tactics and mind set going to play Celtic when we have been playing the likes of Forfar etc. see Dundee united last season.

What about our performance against Motherwell last season? And at that time Motherwell was actually top of the SPL.

Lucky. Motherwell really didn't turn up that day.

What a load of shite, we can easily use your comment and say we didn't turn up on the day when we faced United. At the end of the day we played really good football against Motherwell and we played shit football against United. As for playing Celtic people give them too much respect best course of action against them is to attack and put them on the back foot.

Do not see anything to worry about there, if there is any fight with the SFA we only win it from within, any romantic notion people have of fighting and bringing down the SFA from the outside will not work.

Yes Mr Mather, I and a lot of others want a team built and ready to retake our position at the top of Scottish football but what we don't want is a board that will lie down to this cabal and the lies that the bigoted mhedia in Scotland keep publishing. Its time for the board to stand up and fight these people that are constantly trying to damage our club as the fans of this great club are fed up with the crap being said in the mhedia and the so called dignified silence from the club . So on behalf of the Great and Loyal support of Rangers FC will you start speaking out against this constant tirade of abuse from the hacks and the clowns of the spfl/sfa. :angry:

Most of that article is exactly what I want to hear.

The last part, not so much.

Why the f**k should he be telling the sfa our Clubs vision...............hi peter, it's stewie here.....you'll never believe what they just told me about their vision.....I had to hold back the laughter..............what do you mean you know this already peter...............you rascal that you are peter, when did you have the sfa offices bugged?

Do I mind.............don't be stupid , I'm flattered that you listen into my calls...............btw that one to the x rated site....that was a wrong number.