Souness Says "Rangers Had to take their medicine"

No wiwch hunt merely received the punishment that the rules dictated.............never ever thought I would say this.................fuck off GS, the plan they concocted to give us our Licence ,with holding prize money (Gretna got paid early to help them) taking European money and various transfer cash......................as for Brian Kennedy on yer bike with that one.

This is up there when you told the players you were pissing off to Liverpool and asked a few to go with you and only Walters wanted to go.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a young teenager when Souness came and started buying fantastic players / winning so much more than we had in previous years.

Thought Souness was solid for years but with hindsight (aka SDM latterly needing to off-load us to any fuckwit - ie whyte) he can stick his opinions up his arse.

He obviously convinced SDM money needed to be spent (not disagreeing it didn't) and contributed to the mother fucker of events.

SDM was gullible at the time, but not when he bailed out to shyte.

Souness, fuck off back to your rock

What complete crap.

Souness' spending was approx net £10m in 5 years. Walter Smith spent much more and Advocaat's spending was the major problem in the accumulation of debt. SDM sanctioned the spending.

As for Souness' comments, we can disagree but to tell him to GTF is ridiculous. You can disagree with him on some of it but he hardly stabs us in the back. I doubt he is fully aware of what has happened since Kennedy's bid was unsuccessful.

As for saying that him and Kennedy would have been a better bet for RFC, I can only agree. Just a pity Kennedy wasn't prepared to take the gamble.

No wiwch hunt merely received the punishment that the rules dictated.............never ever thought I would say this.................fuck off GS, the plan they concocted to give us our Licence ,with holding prize money (Gretna got paid early to help them) taking European money and various transfer cash......................as for Brian Kennedy on yer bike with that one.

This is up there when you told the players you were pissing off to Liverpool and asked a few to go with you and only Walters wanted to go.

Who did he ask to go with him?

Surprised and disappointed with you ED. Think you have gone OTT on this with Souness.

Surprised and disappointed with you ED. Think you have gone OTT on this with Souness.

Not really, he said we got punished as the rules at that time dictated and have to disagree with him on that..................also our RB at the time told me about the dressing room asking players of any of them wanted to go to Liverpool with him.................that RB phoned me at the office to tell me this and also to get to the bookies to put money on Walter.

The FO I said never ever thought I would say this about him, but his statements stunk , well to me they did anyway.

What complete crap.

Souness' spending was approx net £10m in 5 years. Walter Smith spent much more and Advocaat's spending was the major problem in the accumulation of debt. SDM sanctioned the spending.

As for Souness' comments, we can disagree but to tell him to GTF is ridiculous. You can disagree with him on some of it but he hardly stabs us in the back. I doubt he is fully aware of what has happened since Kennedy's bid was unsuccessful.

As for saying that him and Kennedy would have been a better bet for RFC, I can only agree. Just a pity Kennedy wasn't prepared to take the gamble.

Why?

If Kennedy had taken over I would not have continued to buy my season ticket.I would still have gone to games but would only have bought a ticket once I knew the players were on the pitch and the game was going ahead.

Where is the club he bought the last time playing?

Lets just consider this for a moment - does anyone think Ally would have been happy had Souness been brought back in such a capacity ? They didnt exactly see eye to eye during the Souness tenure.

Is there still animosty between the two after all these years? if so, he probably wouldn't have been too chuffed, but what could he have done about it, he had no say in the process to select a preffered bidder ?

Lets just consider this for a moment - does anyone think Ally would have been happy had Souness been brought back in such a

capacity ? They didnt exactly see eye to eye during the Souness tenure.

Well D Ally did say we deserved/needed to be punished, maybe GS was using that as his basis for his ignorance of the situation.

Is there still animosty between the two after all these years? if so, he probably wouldn't have been too chuffed, but what could he have done about it, he had no say in the process to select a preffered bidder ?

Quite correct, however, indirectly (through his various contacts) he could make it known that the Kennedy bid wasn't appealing (to him) and his media chums would do the rest.

Some suggest much of the anti Charles Green stuff came from that same direction.

Some say..........

In answer to a number of posters, I don't agree with everything Souness is reported to have said. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing on some points but telling him to GTF is OTT in my opinion. The guy transformed Rangers when he came and for that I will be eternally grateful. Does he have RFC's best interests at heart? I believe so. I believe that the Kennedy / Souness partnership would have been better for RFC than Green's group. I'm not saying Green didn't do a significant job, just that it is my belief that we could have done better. I would like to give Graeme the full story of what happened to Rangers because I doubt he is aware of the full picture. I'll leave it at that.

In answer to a number of posters, I don't agree with everything Souness is reported to have said. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing on some points but telling him to GTF is OTT in my opinion. The guy transformed Rangers when he came and for that I will be eternally grateful. Does he have RFC's best interests at heart? I believe so. I believe that the Kennedy / Souness partnership would have been better for RFC than Green's group. I'm not saying Green didn't do a significant job, just that it is my belief that we could have done better. I would like to give Graeme the full story of what happened to Rangers because I doubt he is aware of the full picture. I'll leave it at that.

Re him not knowing the full story Bud, you can bet your bottom dollar Walter would have given him the heads up on everything and as for him saying the rules at the time were put in force against us.....................what about as i mentioned 5 points, would he have accepted them as they no doubt were rules in force , so bye bye certain titles.

The man lives in a bubble, he sounds so out of touch with the situation we have been in over the past few years. Souness famously thought that he was persecuted in Scotland by the SFA and the Mhedia during his time in a Manager, he went through nothing compared to the shite we've dealt with recently.

What complete crap.

If he wasn,t fully aware then he should have kept his mouth shut.His comments make me sick.

Bit baffling some are saying he can't have all the facts, if we can see the truth surely he can too.

I'm sure he'd speak to Walter about it, though how regular that is , who knows. Other than that I would imagine its the press in which case he's hardly going to get a fair picture of it all.

Souness never changed in all his years in football, he was an arrogant git of a player who was full of his own importance, he was an arrogant git of a manager who was full of his own importance. He would have anybody who will listen to him, believe that all his successes were down to him, and all his failures were down to people who didn't listen to him. Read between the lines of his book!

He identified us as a bit of a 'sleeping giant' when he came, seeing that at that time our on field performance was at best mediocre, and that we were too big to accept that mediocrity. We had a great support base, but that, still our greatest resource, was wasted.

Now, in an era when we thought that football men were in it for the football, we all, to a man revelled in the Souness approach to the game and his ambition. An ambition that with hindsight we now know had very little to do with us fans or Rangers, (in my opinion of course), but was all about Graeme Souness.

I am grateful for the days of Woods, Butcher, Hateley, Walters, Steven, Roberts and a host more I'm sure you all know, it was a privilege to see these guys in a Rangers strip, so I might come across as a bit hypocritical saying that while I enjoyed the success, I believe that was the start of the downfall of our club; I say that because I believe that Souness cast the die for chequebook management, and we all know where that has led us.

His Rangers soul, or the lack of it more accurately, became very obvious when, after he decided that he wasn't getting enough money to buy European glory at Ibrox, he chased the £ and buggered off.

Tin foil hat on here, but I believe Souness made us too big for Scotland, and that's where it all went wrong.

For the man to come out now and elevate himself to Guru status, opining endlessly to any and all who will listen to him, about what Rangers should be doing, what we should accept, and where we should be going, while completely ignoring the fact that he left a job half done at a time when a decent manager, with the resources he had at hand, would have had us perched at the pinnacle of European and World football, is a wee bit hypocritical.

All other things aside, and I'm sure we all know the changes of circumstances that have brought us to where we are now, Graeme Souness was not a good manager, he was not even a good chequebook manager, not for the long term well-being of our club. But then everybody has 20:20 hindsight, don't we!

Hammy

Ed has got this one right,well known fact Souness tried to take players with him.I idolised the man just wish he would shut up and let us,the ones that stayed,get on with our buisness.

Souness never changed in all his years in football, he was an arrogant git of a player who was full of his own importance, he was an arrogant git of a manager who was full of his own importance. He would have anybody who will listen to him, believe that all his successes were down to him, and all his failures were down to people who didn't listen to him. Read between the lines of his book!

He identified us as a bit of a 'sleeping giant' when he came, seeing that at that time our on field performance was at best mediocre, and that we were too big to accept that mediocrity. We had a great support base, but that, still our greatest resource, was wasted.

Now, in an era when we thought that football men were in it for the football, we all, to a man revelled in the Souness approach to the game and his ambition. An ambition that with hindsight we now know had very little to do with us fans or Rangers, (in my opinion of course), but was all about Graeme Souness.

I am grateful for the days of Woods, Butcher, Hateley, Walters, Steven, Roberts and a host more I'm sure you all know, it was a privilege to see these guys in a Rangers strip, so I might come across as a bit hypocritical saying that while I enjoyed the success, I believe that was the start of the downfall of our club; I say that because I believe that Souness cast the die for chequebook management, and we all know where that has led us.

His Rangers soul, or the lack of it more accurately, became very obvious when, after he decided that he wasn't getting enough money to buy European glory at Ibrox, he chased the £ and buggered off.

Tin foil hat on here, but I believe Souness made us too big for Scotland, and that's where it all went wrong.

For the man to come out now and elevate himself to Guru status, opining endlessly to any and all who will listen to him, about what Rangers should be doing, what we should accept, and where we should be going, while completely ignoring the fact that he left a job half done at a time when a decent manager, with the resources he had at hand, would have had us perched at the pinnacle of European and World football, is a wee bit hypocritical.

All other things aside, and I'm sure we all know the changes of circumstances that have brought us to where we are now, Graeme Souness was not a good manager, he was not even a good chequebook manager, not for the long term well-being of our club. But then everybody has 20:20 hindsight, don't we!

Hammy

I was a Souness fan, I loved his arrogance on the pitch, but he sold out as soon as the scousers came calling and dropped us like a hot tottie. He seems to think he would be welcomed back with open arms, not by me.