Keeping Scott Gallagher

pandabear

Would it not be better to keep Gallagher and have him challenge Bell for the position?

I can't find any fault in his performances so far and at 24 he should be allowed to stay and fight for his chance to play and train with the club, rather than punting him off to another 2nd division club. I think we should show more faith in the lads who stayed loyal to us, he has been with us for years and been waiting for his chance to play so would it not be unfair to replace him right after he gets it?

I'm not really having a moan,I'm just a bit baffled as to why we would want to replace him with a 34 year old.

he needs 1st team experience he won`t get that with Bell the number 1 work with McGregor who went out on loan

That's what I'm getting at it seems Bell is automatically the No1 at Rangers and no matter how well Gallacher players he's not going to be picked when Bells fully available now I think Cammys a great keeper but Gallachers done well too and he's already been on loan at least once so why not give him a chance to compete for the jersey here rather than signing another player we really don't need.

Look - If you go out and sign a number 1 goalkeeper, then he's going to play and is highly unlikely, due to his position, to be subbed.

Gallacher has played well for us so far although his distribution is woeful bar throws. No one was shouting for him to be number one though on hearing Alexander was for the off and I don't think anyone would have been comforted by us not replacing Alexander when we did.

What would you rather have?...Gallacher on the bench here, going stale and not progressing, OR, going out on loan and developing while someone else with a few games left in him, sits on the bench as cover for Bell?

Very few goalkeepers would sign to be Gallachers number 2 at this point in time so Cammy would be livid if he had to sit in League 1 (Div 2) to a guy that's played only a handful of games, especially when he was being signed to replace Alexander and that's what he signed to do.

Let Bell do his job, let Gallacher develop elsewhere, let the back up guy sit on the bench - we could always recall Gallacher if needed. Ally rates him or he'd have tried to offload him not loan him.

Cammy is the better keeper just now, that may change but I'm encouraged that Gallacher looks like he could be a good keeper for years with us.

Cammy Bell may well be annoyed if he's not automatic first choice but so what? I would be annoyed if I were Gallagher having just signed a new deal and playing well in the games he has played in to be asked to go out on loan. It doesn't seem like he's being given a fair chance and no matter what he won't be allowed to be first choice come September.

Cammy Bell may well be annoyed if he's not automatic first choice but so what? I would be annoyed if I were Gallagher having just signed a new deal and playing well in the games he has played in to be asked to go out on loan. It doesn't seem like he's being given a fair chance and no matter what he won't be allowed to be first choice come September.

He's played 5 competitive games. I wish our fans wouldn't constantly splaff themselves in the face of one of our younger players being competent for a handful of games. It's Jordan McMillan all over again. Fact is, once we signed Cammy Bell, this was always going to happen. If you think we are going to leave an SPL-class keeper, on a good wage, on our bench, you've got another thing coming. Gall has done fine in 5 games where he hasn't had much to do, as would most people. It's advantageous for everyone now if he goes and continues regular football on loan somewhere else. If he stays, fine, but 5 games does not a season make

Although he needs games, the problem I have with sending him on loan, is if we want him to play regularly he will need to get sent on loan to a lesser team. He won't play regularly for any SPFL Premiership club.

Then you need to think about wages, how many of the clubs outside the top division will be able to afford his wages? Thus meaning we will probably have to pay a % of his wages, then pay more wages to bring in a back up goalkeeper.

I would rather keep him than bring in another goalkeeper, send him on loan and use a youngster as back up.

Can't imagine he's on much of a wage. Think he'd get games at a team a league above us. Agreed that if we do loan him out, not really a need for a back-up goalie to be brought in. Could just have a young keeper on the bench

We'd be better loaning Gallacher out to another club if he isn't going to play regularly for us this season. He's certainly good enough to be our keeper at this level but you don't bring in someone like Cammy Bell to sit on the bench.

Bell is the #1.. it's his to lose. But as stated in a few posts.. he needs pressure on him. Everyone improves in that scenario. In any event, Ally should play the #1 70% of the matches and the #2 30% or so... (Given our league circumstances...)

Gallacher has proven he isn't a bomb scare.. and seems to be a safe pair of hands. I'd keep him and not loan him out. (tu)

I really really don't understand how people don't get this. Gallacher is young, a player like him needs to be playing every week and if we loan him he is good enough to play week in week out somewhere else. What is the point in challenging Bell when we all know at this moment in tme Bell is the better keeper has far more experience and has played in all the top grounds in Scotland, Gallacher has played a handfull of games against dross. Mcgregor sat in our reserves for years and years went out on loan and then turned into yet another fantastic Goalie in our long history of great goalies, judging by that i think the management team know what they are doing. Get Callagher out on loan playing every week building his experience and game without having the pressures of Rangers, have Cammy as our number 1 with a guy who has been around and on his last legs there as cover and to keep Cammy on his toes. Simple, so stop the Gallacher threads. Good Goalie and all the signs are there for him to be another number 1 in future

I really really don't understand how people don't get this. Gallacher is young, a player like him needs to be playing every week and if we loan him he is good enough to play week in week out somewhere else. What is the point in challenging Bell when we all know at this moment in tme Bell is the better keeper has far more experience and has played in all the top grounds in Scotland, Gallacher has played a handfull of games against dross. Mcgregor sat in our reserves for years and years went out on loan and then turned into yet another fantastic Goalie in our long history of great goalies, judging by that i think the management team know what they are doing. Get Callagher out on loan playing every week building his experience and game without having the pressures of Rangers, have Cammy as our number 1 with a guy who has been around and on his last legs there as cover and to keep Cammy on his toes. Simple, so stop the Gallacher threads. Good Goalie and all the signs are there for him to be another number 1 in future

This (tu)

The only thing I think could be debated is whether we need an experienced back-up brought in to cover. Perhaps could just stick a young goalie on the bench

I can actually see the reasoning behind it.

Bell is number one, rightfully as he's the better goalkeeper.

But Gallacher is at the age if he doesn't get game time he will stagnate,

If Simonsen is available on cheap wages then I see the point as he's proven and experienced and a damn good goalkeeper.

Loaning him is a good idea if clubs are willing to pay the wages he is getting paid from our club. He would benefit from more hands on experience, but I can't see Cammy Bell being the one sitting on the bench considering he was supposedly replacing Alexander, plus he has SPL experience over Gallacher which would count in his favour.

I'll just wait and see what happens first and see how Cammy plays in more games to get a better idea of who should be No.1, but yes Gallacher does play well.

Shouldn't the question be why have we signed Cammy Bell? Gallagher looks more than competent, climbing the leagues with us as no.1 could have been the making of the man.

Perhaps, but its done now. Frankly, I don't think 5 games against 3rd tier teams, where he's had to do very little, proves all that much. He may well be great, but I think there's a bit of the Jordan McMillan about some folk's assessment of him. Bell was free and proven at the highest level in the country.