A wee quiz question for a Sunday evening

linnyplant

Here is another wee question,a bit off topic,but reading The Willie Johnston Story,can you tell me the three coloured players that Willie played with at West Brom and which one did he just about convince to come back up the road to Rangers with him.???

Lawrie Cunningham ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lawrie Cunningham ?

That's one of the three,and the FIRST coloured player to be capped with England at any level. It was against Scotland in an u-21 match in 1977.Brilliant player,he later went on to play for Real Madrid, tragically died in a car crash at only 33 years of age.

cyril regis

Yep,big Cyril Regis was another and was the player that Willie tried to convince to come with him to Ibrox,"I tried to get the club to sign him to play alongside me upfront but,for whatever reason they wouldn't.He would have been a sensation in Scotland." :praise:

Thats right Marvel, we had just lost the old firm league decider 4-2 to Celtic and I remember no one really cared about the cup final at that time as we were all on a downer.The three games were shocking.

The Wembley game against England was the following weekend, so they played the replays in one week!. Your right the football was shocking.

The Wembley game against England was the following weekend, so they played the replays in one week!. Your right the football was shocking.

12/05/79 Cup final 0-0, 50k ---- 16/05/79 cup final replay 0-0, 33k-------, 23/05/79 Wembley 3-1 England---------, 28/05/79 cup final 2nd replay 3-2 to the Gers 30k.

12/05/79 Cup final 0-0, 50k ---- 16/05/79 cup final replay 0-0, 33k-------, 23/05/79 Wembley 3-1 England---------, 28/05/79 cup final 2nd replay 3-2 to the Gers 30k.

The two 0-0 draws were absolutely dreadful, it was an effort to bother with the second replay. Even that ended farcically, an own goal from Arthur Duncan won us the cup.

Here is another wee question,a bit off topic,but reading The Willie Johnston Story,can you tell me the three coloured players that Willie played with at West Brom and which one did he just about convince to come back up the road to Rangers with him.???

Cunningham and Regis were on the verges of the England team and played up here with West Brom in the Tennent Caledonian pre-season tournament. Were amongst the first black players to be given a chance in England and "big bad racist" West Brom manager Ron Atkinson was the manager who gave them the chance. He jokingly called them and Batson the "Three Degrees". Was a shame that he made that one tactless remark.

No way was he a true racist.

That Monday is the one defeat that still gets to me.

Thats right ED, I have never felt so down in my life after that defeat to a ten man Celtic side. We were playing so well until Colin Jackson scored an own goal and then the roof fell in.It wasn't until we beat them in the league decider at Parkhead under Advocaat that I finally got over it. It had been a great season up until that point but we threw away so many points at the end with stupid draws. We were unlucky not to reach the European Cup semi finals and won the League and Scottish cups but that defeat really hurt the club for years to come. Nobody seems to give John Greig the credit for nearly winning the treble in his first season by playing really good football and going on a great european run beating Juventus and PSV Eindhoven on the way. He never recovered from that defeat in my opinion and the rest is history

Thats right ED, I have never felt so down in my life after that defeat to a ten man Celtic side. We were playing so well until Colin Jackson scored an own goal and then the roof fell in.It wasn't until we beat them in the league decider at Parkhead under Advocaat that I finally got over it. It had been a great season up until that point but we threw away so many points at the end with stupid draws. We were unlucky not to reach the European Cup semi finals and won the League and Scottish cups but that defeat really hurt the club for years to come. Nobody seems to give John Greig the credit for nearly winning the treble in his first season by playing really good football and going on a great european run beating Juventus and PSV Eindhoven on the way. He never recovered from that defeat in my opinion and the rest is history

Spot on Linney, that night at Ibrox against Cologne after knocking Juve and PSV out. Looking back I agree that was his downfall a truly stunning season lost in that one game.

Spot on Linney, that night at Ibrox against Cologne after knocking Juve and PSV out. Looking back I agree that was his downfall a truly stunning season lost in that one game.

I blame the snow. Remember being right up and very confident for the game v Cologne, then it was postponed till the next night cos of the snow. For some reason it just didn't feel the same the next night.

I blame the snow. Remember being right up and very confident for the game v Cologne, then it was postponed till the next night cos of the snow. For some reason it just didn't feel the same the next night.

That and the fact that Derek Johnstone was injured. That was his best season as a Rangers player and he was our talisman that season .If big DJ had been playing I reckon we would have beaten Cologne that night.

That and the fact that Derek Johnstone was injured. That was his best season as a Rangers player and he was our talisman that season .If big DJ had been playing I reckon we would have beaten Cologne that night.

Was it that bowely legged Pierre Litbarski , the winger who ran us ragged?