Hodgson 'racism' row

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind when he called an Asian guy on Twitter a "coconut" because the fellow dared to have his own mind and not think like brown-skinned people are apparently "supposed" to?

I do, all seemed to die down fairly quick.

I know you're quite left wing Jamie but racism from black people seems to end up swept under the carpet or forgotten about so much faster.

I do, all seemed to die down fairly quick.

I know you're quite left wing Jamie but racism from black people seems to end up swept under the carpet or forgotten about so much faster.

Broadly-speaking, perhaps. I think this is kind of understandable, if regrettable though. The reason racism is generally considered socially unacceptable is because it sets an oppressor against an oppressed people, and that's unenlightened and inhumane. There's a hierarchy of power at play. A lot of people think that casual racism is no big deal, and that offence is taken, not given, so it's up to an individual if he wants to be offended. Those who disagree point out that "casual" racism from the privileged majority still normalises and reinforces serious social fractures that haven't been healed, and as such it is dangerous and it needs to be seen as taboo in order to make it die out. When such throwaway racism comes from a minority, there's not the same sense of that. It's still nasty and out of order, but there's a (in some ways fair, in others unfair) perception that the straight white male really doesn't have a lot to complain about, and if the worst experience of social division he is going to experience is being called a "honkey" or something, he's doing pretty well. I think when it becomes a more serious example, it IS taken seriously, and a lot of people who complain, for example, about political correctness (and this isn't a dig at you and this thread) choose to ignore the fact that non-whites ARE readily convicted of racially-aggravated crimes in this country. The killers of Kriss Donald, for example. I remember after the whole Piara Powar coconut thing I read that a Lib Dem councillor had been convicted for using the same word to describe a Tory councillor.

Regardless of whether or not I'm left-wing, I find racism baffling and stupid wherever it comes from. That said, the one time in my life I was racially abused (by an insanely drunk Jewish guy who decided I was evil because I'm 'Aryan'), he really, really viciously meant it, and I just felt sorry for him. He was a pitiful, pathetic person, and I couldn't take him at all seriously. I would never imagine for a second that I had any more insight into what racism feels like for black or Asian or indeed Jewish people because, frankly, it was hard to feel degraded by and inferior to a grown man with a piss stain on his crotch. Because he was one idiot and his views had no cultural grounding or influence.

a legitimate tactic in the last two games, aside from townsend there wasnt many other direct england players, he was fucking outstanding in both games and im more shocked that england took advantage of his ability lol

He played almost like a running back in the NFL :lol: It was all about getting the ball forward at all costs as quickly as possible. Even when he lost it, England tended to win it back further up the field, so his job was done.

Of course, that won't work against a decent counter-attacking team.

Of course, that won't work against a decent counter-attacking team.

dunno about that, poland looked good on the counter but englands workrate off the ball was their key to succeeding, plus as you say with townsend acting like a running back you know that giving him the ball gives your team time to get their shape back, many times england used to clear their lines only for it to come back asap and they would still be all over the place lol

dunno about that, poland looked good on the counter but englands workrate off the ball was their key to succeeding, plus as you say with townsend acting like a running back you know that giving him the ball gives your team time to get their shape back, many times england used to clear their lines only for it to come back asap and they would still be all over the place lol

To be fair, England could easily have conceded two or three down their right flank if Lewandowski had his shooting boots on. Smalling did not have the positional discipline to cover for Townsend.

To be fair, England could easily have conceded two or three down their right flank if Lewandowski had his shooting boots on. Smalling did not have the positional discipline to cover for Townsend.

he isnt their number 1 right back though is he? got to imagine phil jones will be there first, wonder if in any friendlies that hodgson would try either baines or cole at right back, i know both are left footed but they are far and away englands best fullbacks

he isnt their number 1 right back though is he? got to imagine phil jones will be there first, wonder if in any friendlies that hodgson would try either baines or cole at right back, i know both are left footed but they are far and away englands best fullbacks

No, but none of England's right backs have positional discipline :lol:

Cole on the right would be interesting. Baines would be wasted because his crossing is his strength.