responsilities of our 'coaching staff'

bluesbro1976

Just a wee sub topic, moving on from GOAT's thread on barrie mckay.

Having watch rangers trainn in the west of scotland cricket ground, jordanhill school etc, I often go on about how poor and inadequate our coaching staff are.

I was younger then, but saw then, as I see now that our coaching staff have very little input into the training methods, technical drills, or overall development of a player to improve his technique on the ballm )eah we have nutrionists, fitness coaches, all doing probably a good job. My real question is, what do they actually do (durrant and mcdowell)??

I have said preeviously, that signing mcdowell from across the city was seen as a bit of a coup, a bit of two fingrers up at you septic. But after what threee/four years, can anyone identify a player that he has either taken or been given credit for developing?

Now, as a coach myself, you have to work on technical skills, skills that seem to be 'brushed' over in scottish football. For me there seems a point, probably from under 12's to u18'sn that coaches help develop any raw talent. It seems that after this, we, nort jus rangers, but scotland as a footballing nation, generally, and I mean generally, do nort seem to have the coaches to pick up from where any good work was done on the kids coming through.

As part of rtheir coaching badges, I still believe it is the case thatunder eufa pro licence, coaches are required inyear two, to visit two foreign clubs for a week to look at how their coaching works.

I would like to know where ours went.

Added to this, when you have such a short day at auchenhowie, by the time you watch dvd of prev match, and go and loosen up, there is very little time to 'coach and develop' any talent. Therefore, do we really need to be looking at a more detailed and structured coaching regime. ??

People on the continent call it football practice, we call irt football training. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a wee sub topic, moving on from GOAT's thread on barrie mckay.

Having watch rangers trainn in the west of scotland cricket ground, jordanhill school etc, I often go on about how poor and inadequate our coaching staff are.

I was younger then, but saw then, as I see now that our coaching staff have very little input into the training methods, technical drills, or overall development of a player to improve his technique on the ballm )eah we have nutrionists, fitness coaches, all doing probably a good job. My real question is, what do they actually do (durrant and mcdowell)??

I have said preeviously, that signing mcdowell from across the city was seen as a bit of a coup, a bit of two fingrers up at you septic. But after what threee/four years, can anyone identify a player that he has either taken or been given credit for developing?

Now, as a coach myself, you have to work on technical skills, skills that seem to be 'brushed' over in scottish football. For me there seems a point, probably from under 12's to u18'sn that coaches help develop any raw talent. It seems that after this, we, nort jus rangers, but scotland as a footballing nation, generally, and I mean generally, do nort seem to have the coaches to pick up from where any good work was done on the kids coming through.

As part of rtheir coaching badges, I still believe it is the case thatunder eufa pro licence, coaches are required inyear two, to visit two foreign clubs for a week to look at how their coaching works.

I would like to know where ours went.

Added to this, when you have such a short day at auchenhowie, by the time you watch dvd of prev match, and go and loosen up, there is very little time to 'coach and develop' any talent. Therefore, do we really need to be looking at a more detailed and structured coaching regime. ??

People on the continent call it football practice, we call irt football training. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Thoughts?

I'm not going to name him, but a boy I used to work with was on Rangers books a few years back and he told me a few stories about the coaching methods back then, and how pathetic it is. Only one man tried to change it all, he got the sack after 5 months.

It's just a Scottish problem and the sooner someone with balls comes in and tells the Fergusons of this world, we're doing it my way, or the high way the better.

Id argue that based on every british managers teams it aint just a problem in Scotland. Just seems everyone but our own fans give ally any credit

Pretty much spot on. Watch an English game outwith the top 6 and then watch a la liga game. The difference in technical ability is frightening. Its a problem far more widespread than just Rangers but McCoist is to blame.

It is obvious that the technical sufficiency of many Rangers and Scottish players is very poor indeed. Rangers and other Scottish managers and coaches need to do much better.

It is that simple.

The training at Murray Park seems to start about 10:00 am and finish at noon or 1:00 pm. I find that astonishing. Hopefully that is wrong but that is what I've heard. Does anyone know if this is correct or not?

Technique is something that has to be taught at a young age. The horse has long bolted by the time the players have gone professional. That is not to say that improvements cannot be made, but the players and training staff would have to work constantly to see improvement IMO.

While I agree to some extent, that more has to be done, it would be unfair to apportion all the blame on coaches grassroots need improved in all areas As for goat I am seriously doubting whether he is a blue nose as all his threads are negative and cynical about all Rangers. My son played when younger and even at that stage very little provision is available to the majority of youngsters

Pretty much spot on. Watch an English game outwith the top 6 and then watch a la liga game. The difference in technical ability is frightening. Its a problem far more widespread than just Rangers but McCoist is to blame.

the main sides in england that are fluent is the ones with foreign managers and coaches. But they also spend a pretty penny. Many people forget that.

Training times again is not just limited to murray park, I remember seeing g.neville or giggs even henrik larsson at lunchtime when I worked in Manchester. Double training sessions are the norm in Europe but in Britain they're voluntary.

In Football Your First Touch is the Most Important. IMO of Course there is Much more to it.

Scottish Players have a Poor First touch, and struggle in Comparison to the Continental Players ,especially the South Americans .They have great Technique, and First Touch .

But really bringing a Ball under Control for me is the Most Important aspect, which I believe has to be worked on. After that you can Build on it.

I agree wholeheartedly Practice makes Perfect.

The South Americans and latterly the Africans have much better ball control because they start their football as youngsters on beaches or scrubland, not ready made smooth, even pitches. Scotland had players with great ball control in the days when kids played in the street with a tanner ba'. Now they get the natural ability coached out of them.

The South Americans and latterly the Africans have much better ball control because they start their football as youngsters on beaches or scrubland, not ready made smooth, even pitches. Scotland had players with great ball control in the days when kids played in the street with a tanner ba'. Now they get the natural ability coached out of them.

I would have to disagree, third world countries as ye cited are often better at it purely because the kids are so disadvantaged that they own little or no possessions and very often exclusively devote themselves to the one activity. As for the pitches well ye did not see the pitches my son and most of his peers played on, certainly not smooth even pitches. In fact most winter games were cancelled as the parks were not fit for training or playing

one of the younger players that broke through in the eck/PLG era told me that the training was pretty poor, a lot of fitness work but little in the way of technical work, this was all the way down the ranks from the first team to the youth players,

the same lad had been on rangers books since he was 13 (he was 18/19 when he broke through) and he said that george adams was never replaced properly and he was the best youth coach that we've had in years. wether its changed now or not i dunno as he left about 3 years ago

one of the younger players that broke through in the eck/PLG era told me that the training was pretty poor, a lot of fitness work but little in the way of technical work, this was all the way down the ranks from the first team to the youth players,

the same lad had been on rangers books since he was 13 (he was 18/19 when he broke through) and he said that george adams was never replaced properly and he was the best youth coach that we've had in years. wether its changed now or not i dunno as he left about 3 years ago

Does he play in Australia now?

I was hearing about Tom Ince, and how he stays back and works on his free-kicks etc. Would Ally stop one of our players wanting to spend extra time on the training field? As far as I'm concerned the need to be the best, or to be better, comes from within, and no coach or manager is going to give that to you: that applies to students at university; pupils at school; or tennis players like Andy Murray; anything in any walk of life. Someone mentioned Le Guen, but his biggest obstacle appeared to be his own players. It is all down to the players themselves.

lol no he is doing his coaching badges i think, after leaving rangers he got a bad knee injury playing in the 2nd division i think, not spoke to him for a few years mind

Just wondering. The boy I spoke about earlier in the thread said something similar that's all.

I was hearing about Tom Ince, and how he stays back and works on his free-kicks etc. Would Ally stop one of our players wanting to spend extra time on the training field? As far as I'm concerned the need to be the best, or to be better, comes from within, and no coach or manager is going to give that to you: that applies to students at university; pupils at school; or tennis players like Andy Murray; anything in any walk of life. Someone mentioned Le Guen, but his biggest obstacle appeared to be his own players. It is all down to the players themselves.

i remember a rumour that done the rounds during 9iar, that our training was based around fitness and running and there was little or no ballwork done, and that laudrup tried to get everyone to do extra training of ballwork, technical drills etc, most of the guys that done the extra training were the foreign guys

i remember a rumour that done the rounds during 9iar, that our training was based around fitness and running and there was little or no ballwork done, and that laudrup tried to get everyone to do extra training of ballwork, technical drills etc, most of the guys that done the extra training were the foreign guys

i saw the training at the cricket ground a few times and found it appalling really. If you take a team like AC Milan, who do double sessions, with an emphasis on technique in the afternoon, you have to wonder at our arrogance that we think that not for us. I remember hearing the story that Brian Laudrup's wife was happy in Scotland that he only trained in the morning, as opposed to being in Germany and Italy where he did a full day. The fact this still happens is an indictment on the players and the coaches.

Can't argue with any of that. (tu)