The Right Back Issue

TheCutch

For as many years as I can remember, I have heard coaches / mangers / pundits of various teams claim that there always seems to be a lack of quality left sided players around.

Given that thought, I find it even more strange that we have had the complete opposite problem in almost my entire time attending Gers games (since 1983)

In that time, I can honestly say that the only top notch right back we have had was Gary Stevens.

We have had various players who have done good jobs like Clelland, Porrini, Hutton etc...

But Stevens was the only 1 I would consider in the top class bracket.

Now compare that to the "problematic for many" left back positon, and in my time it has been a procession of quality of our main man in that position.

Stuart Munro - A very underrated player in my opinion.

Davie Robertson - The first trully great "wingback" I had seen for us.

Arthur Numan - Needs no explanation really.

Sasa Papac - look up the word consistency in the dictionary and you will see sasas face.

Lee Wallace - The one player in our current squad who would fit seemlessly into an EPL side IMO.

So why is it that we struggle so badly to replicate our success at finding left backs on the opposite side of the pitch?

In my opinion the fault lies with management and scouting.

McAusland looked a promising young player and he is out on loan. Anyone know how he is doing?

He did look promising mate, but I don't believe that full back is his natural position.

He was just the latest in a long line of players who have been shoehorned into that position over the years due to not having good natural right backs.

I recall When gary stevens arrived he was pish. Stuck in and done really well. Excellent player.

But you forgot about hugh burns and mel sterland, ooops

You're not wrong. I thought Stevens was going to be a disaster after about 5/6 months.

He really settled when Trevor Steven joined him I think.

World class partnership that was.

McAusland has become a superstar on here. A CB who has been adapted to a RB at times, we all know the argument on "natural positions". He did well but showed nothing special. Personally I thought Kyle's better games were in preseason when he played DM.

Take Wallace out the team and we have a LB issue, besides Smith.

Alan Hutton late 2007 was simply brilliant. Hasn't been the same player since. Just shows you, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

He did look like he was going to go onto great things then I agree. (tu)

But as you say, he has fell away to almost total obscurity since.

McAusland has become a superstar on here. A CB who has been adapted to a RB at times, we all know the argument on "natural positions". He did well but showed nothing special. Personally I thought Kyle's better games were in preseason when he played DM.

Really Al? And how many of those pre season games where he played DM did you actually see???? :lol:

Macusland has the natural qualities to eventually become a good right back but I wouldn't write off foster....yes he has been awful so far but he was excellent in many games in his 1st spell and he looked a lot better against airdrie in the cup so hopefully he will improve....

Hutton is out of contract next summer....worth a second chance??

Foster has always looked better at LB than he has ever been at RB for me. His left footed assist a couple of games ago shows that he is very comfortable using his left foot.

He also torn Bayern Munich apart playing on the left.

I thought Hutton was useless...

Many others did too, he was absolutely hopeless but for half a decent season which led to a £9m bid from Spurs.

What a deal that was!

From when Smith took over, to Spurs signed him he was outstanding. Before that, I wouldn't say useless, just average at best.

Really Al? And how many of those pre season games where he played DM did you actually see???? :lol:

All I could get a stream for, what about you? :blink:

Can't recall which game, maybe his second in preseason, he played DM and I thought he acquitted himself very well.

McAusand played Centre forward when he first joined the club. He was still playing in that position as recently as 2 years ago in a friendly vs Stirling Albion at Forthbank.