What is really going on with Ally McCoist?

ZZed

Lots of people have been having digs at our manager and made several utterances that are in terms of absolutes about his ability to manage, coach and tactical awareness. But I suspect that something else is going on.

The events of the last few years have been traumatic and wearing for us all and this has had effected us as a fan base, more than we would believe. Some see bias when it is not there- as well as when it is, some remember the quality of football from years gone past and do not see it now, some want the assuredness Rangers had but that is sadly lacking just now and all of this builds a underlying feelings of anger. This anger comes from feeling of injustice against us, things not being as they should be, both on the field and off, the frustration of being held back, of being badly treated and of being denigrated.

When these feeling do not have an outlet, they build; they need some kind of release, some thing to hit. We can not hit those that we perceive are working against us, so it starts to turn inwards. Slight negatives become magnified and we start to think in absolutes. Serious negatives become magnified and become crises and we demand action to be taken to avoid the pending disaster but all action is not enough. We build straw man arguments to justify our own position and are dismissive of all other point of view that does not agree with us.

With in our situation we have Ally McCoist, who has been the one consistent face. This can act in two ways, it can be a source of comfort, that someone who knows how it should be is still there but it can also cause us to attack them for not fixing it in some way. This man is a natural out let for both of these emotions and behaviours. He has become a focal point and because we are thinking in absolutes we see what ever we want to see in how he conducts himself.

If we can think objectively, then Ally McCoist has both positives and negatives as we all have. He has had to go through a situation that very few managers ever have. He is expected to win the league, get promotion and play attractive football. He is on course for the first two parts but the quality of football will always be up for discussion as it is a subjective judgement.

Another way of asking the question is; do we think Ally McCoist is setting out his teams to play badly and scrape by. I think that Ally McCoist is wanting to play good football but some things get in the way of this- injuries, teams trying to kick you off the park, player motivation, man management and external things such as constant bad news and rumours. Some of this is within Ally McCoist control, some is not.

I have no problems with some saying Ally McCoist is never a manager or he will be a great manager, you pay your money you take your choice. I would like us all to stop think in absolutes, in all or nothing and recognise Ally McCoist will get some things right and get some things wrong like the rest of us.

One day Ally McCoist will step down as manager and my personal expectations are to get into the top tier of football in Scotland under his leadership. The quality of football will hopefully improve as we meet more skilled teams our players will come back up to their natural level. We will see if Ally McCoist is a manager or not once we hit the top league.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We will see if Ally McCoist is a manager or not once we hit the top league."

No.

By then we will have had 3-4 years to judge if he's a manager or not.

But you have said in the past, that anyone could win the league we are in given the squad we have, so how can we judge his abilities until he is on a more even playing field,

But you have said in the past, that anyone could win the league we are in given the squad we have, so how can we judge his abilities until he is on a more even playing field,

Because so far has struggled to get a team of SPL standard players to look a cut above the shite we play every week.

Are we not to judge perfromances on the park all of a sudden because it's Ally McCoist?

Never said that.

Read paragraphs 5 6 7 again.

I have done.

I don't see why we can't judge him just now and from his first season in the SPL.

That's a decent enough amount of time to see what way he sets out his teams and the football he strives his teams to play is it not?

Why should we wait till we are back before having an opinion if he's good enough or not?

Because so far has struggled to get a team of SPL standard players to look a cut above the shite we play every week.

Are we not to judge perfromances on the park all of a sudden because it's Ally McCoist?

No you've not to do it incase you are rounded on by the flash mob and branded a taig.

he is being asked to live within his means

he doesn't like being told what to do

his mates are all over the papers

just as we all expected to happen, and documented on this forum, a couple of months ago

next in the papers will be smith

He couldnr wait to run to the papers to tell them about his training schedule,the hotel bills,the list goes on......

No you've not to do it incase you are rounded on by the flash mob and branded a taig.

I would not branded anyone on here as a taig because they think Ally McCoist is useless at his job. I just want people to come out of entrenched positions as this allows others to feed the fire and we buy in to it and this leads to more infighting. Ally will get some things right and some things wrong, we should recognise both. Godfather is putting up his thoughts and they should be respected but discussed as well; no Taig language towards a fellow Bear. We all support Rangers and we all want what is best for our team, it is the direction that we are arguing about.

The jist I get is everyone says ally should buy and spend, take the players to hotels and all that cause that's what rangers is used to doing, then they say it ok for poor performances cause as long as we pick up the 3 points. But the matter of fact rangers are used to dominating teams and have some excellent and quality performances. So therefore if rangers and ally should spend spend spend then those games that get played should be of domination and quality performances aswell. But also ally's problem this year was he said performances would be a lot better so he should be judged after September the 1st, and he is being judged due to the lacklustre performances on the park. Yeah 3 points is 3 points, but for what it is costing the club then those 3 points should be accompanied with quality performances in the park

He couldnr wait to run to the papers to tell them about his training schedule,the hotel bills,the list goes on......

well seeing as "someone" leaked to the press on more than one occasion about playing cuts and the thinly discussed 15% wage drop for every player, can you blame "someone else" for leaking things back

He probably shouldn't gave opened his mouth then.

If I knew the board had all sorts of stuff on me I probably wouldn't go out of my way to fuck them off

I'm disappointed that Aly hasn't produced a side that plays entertaining football but I think the recent attacks on him are an attempt to deflect the blame from the short termism of the board that has resulted in money going out the window

So you are saying the poor performances on the park and the lack of tactics is the boards fault, even though these faults has been there before this current board came it

I dont really think anything else is going on. I just think ( as do some others) that he is not a manager. Its no more complex than that.

I think everyone can get on board with the fact that he is a manager, the Rangers manager. He may not be a very good manager, but a manager he most certainly is.

I had my doubts about Ally in a cup game when he was taking charge on the sidelines (WS was manager),we had an uninspiring FH with almost every Bear commenting that there should be changes, when interviewed at HT as to the game plan his answer was ..."Well more of the same really"