Scougall - They type of player we should have been looking at?

I see that Sefan Scougall has agreed to leave Livi for a move to English 3rd tier strugglers Sheffield United.

Must admit im not particularly in the know about this kid, only seen him a few times and he looked to have promising ability as suggested by his reputation.

I would have liked to have seen us make sure that promising players getting consistent game time in the lower leagues were our main target as I think they have both the ability to see our rise to the top division and also offer better value overall than players from the SPL.

Obviously we are not in a position to spend at the minute, but had we been more ecconomical last summer, we may have been in the position to do something.

Look at McCarthy, McCarthur etc leaving Hamilton and ending up doing well for Wigan / Everton now.

Lower leagues have good players. We just need scouts to find them.

The boy Stefan is promising indeed. I hope he gets game time down South. No point being stuck in the u21s side.

He's away to 3rd tier strugglers for £400,000. Unfortunately we cant compete with that transfer fee.

We shouldn't have to, if we have youth players like him at the club not getting a chance at first team football then they should be out on loan instead they're held back and there development quashed becuase of some guy the manager sees fit to play all the time who can't pass a simple ball 5 yards.....

These clubs spend there time effort with these guys, we have this training complex with all the state of the art equipment yet we still haven't produced the goods.

He's away to 3rd tier strugglers for £400,000. Unfortunately we cant compete with that transfer fee.

Its £150,000 with add ons dependant on international appearances etc.

If he is that big a success, we could surely punt him for a profit of more than £400k and easily recoup those add ons.

Why is it whenever a player from the lower leagues is picked up someone wants to start a thread on how they spotted his talent and voicing disappointment at how we missed out.

IMO

1/Most of these guys will disappear into obscurity.

2/ It takes a certain type of player (mentally strong) to withstand the demands of a club this size, to play well and see his career flourish.

I see that Sefan Scougall has agreed to leave Livi for a move to English 3rd tier strugglers Sheffield United.

Must admit im not particularly in the know about this kid, only seen him a few times and he looked to have promising ability as suggested by his reputation.

I would have liked to have seen us make sure that promising players getting consistent game time in the lower leagues were our main target as I think they have both the ability to see our rise to the top division and also offer better value overall than players from the SPL.

Obviously we are not in a position to spend at the minute, but had we been more ecconomical last summer, we may have been in the position to do something.

Why is it whenever a player from the lower leagues is picked up someone wants to start a thread on how they spotted his talent and voicing disappointment at how we missed out.

IMO

1/Most of these guys will disappear into obscurity.

2/ It takes a certain type of player (mentally strong) to withstand the demands of a club this size, to play well and see his career flourish.

Didnt think I was really claiming to be an expert on the kid. Heard good things about him and seen him a couple of times.

1. I agree its always a possibility, but I doubt that Ricky Foster or Steven Smith have much more chance of developing into a great player over the next few years.

2. I dont really think that scouts work by putting their targets through psych testing as part of their evaluation. It should be more on technical and physical ability. Only way to find out if a kid will handle the situation is by giving them a chance IMO.

When was the last time Rangers bought a promising youngster and actually made him a better player?

A lot of young players have joined us and used our club as a springboard to get moves to the top flight and become better players.

Boumsong did he become a better player? Certainly got him at 23 and gave him the opportunity to showcase his talents and become an EPL player.

Jelavic joined us at 24 years of age and went on to become an EPL player.

You can even use the examples of Whittaker (23 when he joined) and Naismith (20 when he joined) who improved under us and got a move to the top flight albeit we didn't make any money out of them (tu)

Mitre, I would certainly agree that we should have went for a couple of younger players rather than Foster and Smith however unfortunately that horse has bolted.

IMO this is one of the mistakes that the manager has made and it is only natural some people use it as a stick to beat him.

In fairness, perhaps if we had decent scouts in place he may have went in a different direction when recruiting squad players.

Its £150,000 with add ons dependant on international appearances etc.

If he is that big a success, we could surely punt him for a profit of more than £400k and easily recoup those add ons.

I saw a straight fee of £400,000 on another news article so forgive me if im wrong. £150k is still out of our reach however.