Barrie McKay to stay at Morton for the rest of the season

Adoniram

For me i cannot fathom the logic in this decision at all.

The team is playing arguably some of the worst football many of us have seen. We have an exciting 19 year old winger who could, with time and the right coaching, make a real impact in the 2nd half of the season.

Instead he gets farmed out to a team fighting relegation.

Is McCoist saying he thinks Aird is the better player or is the one he thinks will make the grade?

Willie Henderson was a first team regular from around 17 onwards.

Barry Ferguson was 20 when Advocaat made him the lynch pin of his team.

Both were playing at a far higher level but both made the transition easily.

McKay has the pace and the trickery but for some reason it's deemed not good enough for Rangers first team.

Baffling decision to me.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was never going to get game time so maybe this is best for him to at least have a chance of playing some football for the rest of the season.

Of Course I'd rather have him here playing as I think he's a much better prospect than Aird, Crawford ect.

Barrie is doing nothing in the U20s to justify a chance in the first team this season, purely based on what I've seen.

A reality check at Morton could, combined with senior football could get him back in the right place for next season.

Seriously lacks confidence any time I've seen him this term.

I would much rather see him coming on and entertaining Rangers fans than doing the same for some minor team. He just needed to learn to go to the corner and cross rather than keep trying to cut inside to improve his game. There was always approval when he came on as a sub in the 3rd division. People expected the enjoyment factor to go up and usually it did.

He will get good experience & maybe that's all that matters long term.

I see your point about young players in the past making the grade at a young age without being loaned out for experience. But then there are some who were loaned out and came back to make a huge impact, Shagger springs to mind.

Hopefully 4-5minths of getting a regular gig will do his confidence good and he will come back for pre season having helped Morton survive and having matured a little to help his push for a regular first team squad position! WATP

Don't want to join in the Ally bashing but this one has me confused .Surely Parelta is the reason mckay has been moved out the squad so i cant believe we had to go to honduras to get a player of his limited ability.Not only is he taking a wage we can ill afford but he:s holding back one of the most talented boys we have .Though a bit inconsistant like most young boys he got us off our seats more than most at ibrox least season .

Reality check for the wee man. Let's hope he gets his head down and works hard there. Would be a real show of his commitment to making it here.

Perhaps a good move in that if he's here playing in a few weeks, it's going to be in games with absolutely nothing resting on them. At Morton, every game will be massive, given where they are in the league. Does he have the guts to keep them up?

Interesting. All the best to him. Really hope he pushes on because he was stagnating in the U20s, not standing out at that level at all.

Difficult one this, on one had i'm raging that we are allowing someone who I feel given a chance could really add something to our play but at the same time Ally has shown there is no chance the boy is going to get a chance this season so might be best for him to go out and get first team football.

Do we have scouts to check up on him and see how he is progressing though?

A tad harsh Aird can change direction on the run, and does get the ball in the box.

Not for me.

He runs fast and thats about it, his crossing is shocking and theres little to no end product.

It reminds me of Wylde, with Barrie I have seen far more that makes me think theres a player in there.

A tad harsh Aird can change direction on the run, and does get the ball in the box.

Not for me.

He runs fast and thats about it, his crossing is shocking and theres little to no end product.

It reminds me of Wylde, with Barrie I have seen far more that makes me think theres a player in there.

As far as i'm aware, Mohsni's header from Aird's corner last week was Aird's first assist of the season. Obviously doesn't tell you the whole story but I have to say, i'm leaning more towards the idea that Aird probably won't make it in the long run. Certainly has gone off the boil over the last few weeks. Still very young yet, mind

Barrie is doing nothing in the U20s to justify a chance in the first team this season, purely based on what I've seen.

A reality check at Morton could, combined with senior football could get him back in the right place for next season.

Seriously lacks confidence any time I've seen him this term.

that makes sense to a point - but then I think "why put a lad who is short on confidence into a higher division, with a worse team"? Surely that makes it harder for him?

I would much rather see him coming on and entertaining Rangers fans than doing the same for some minor team. He just needed to learn to go to the corner and cross rather than keep trying to cut inside to improve his game. There was always approval when he came on as a sub in the 3rd division. People expected the enjoyment factor to go up and usually it did.

He will get good experience & maybe that's all that matters long term.

If he wasn't played on the wrong side he wouldn't cut in

Well he's had a stint with Morton, but he's been ordered to stay. That's telling him and me that he's not wanted and I do wonder why we have young players at our club if the intention is just to buy our way out of trouble. Which doesn't always work out right and is not the best policy in our current financial state.

Baffling indeed.

Well he's had a stint with Morton, but he's been ordered to stay. That's telling him and me that he's not wanted and I do wonder why we have young players at our club if the intention is just to buy our way out of trouble. Which doesn't always work out right and is not the best policy in our current financial state.

Baffling indeed.

A bit simplistic. He's not a starter with us so we have him out playing football. Not every guy who's put out on loan is unwanted

He is getting as much first team football under his belt as possible. He is learning his trade. When he comes back from his loan spell, if he has improved he will get into our first team.

I'd have to say it's the least baffling decision I've seen all season. It's so far from baffling, to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

yes true - or as J.E.B says - a reality check.

As I said previously, playing in 14/15 games where every single game is crucial will aid his development more than with us where he'd perhaps play 9/10 games when the league is won and we have nothing to play for. Think he needs a challenge, rather than simply a run out

Morton are in the division above us, it will be good for the lad. Id understand if we were in SPL and he was in a lower league on loan. But we are romping this league, he will get plenty game time at Morton. If he is improving there then he might as well stay for now if he isnt going to start every game with us.